PDA

View Full Version : Jail for not isuuing a marriage licence

KDawg
09-03-2015, 09:07 PM
A federal judge has placed a defiant Kentucky county clerk (http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/01/kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-same-sex-marriage-supreme-court) into the custody of US marshals for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses and ordered her office to begin processing the necessary paperwork again on Friday morning.
In a winding five-hour hearing on Thursday, five of six deputies at the Rowan County clerk Kim Davis’s office told US district judge David Bunning they would comply with his order – grudgingly, in some cases, as one said it was the “hardest thing” she had ever been asked to do.
Bunning ordered Davis into custody earlier in the day, saying her religious beliefs don’t supersede her mandate to comply with a court order.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/03/kentucky-clerk-contempt-of-court-marriage-licenses

So much for freedom of religion.

RWGR
09-03-2015, 09:39 PM

That's a non-starter, KDawg.

Freedom of religion means the right to practice any religion you want, or not, without interference from the state. It does not mean the right to circumvent civic rules and laws in the name of your religion.

If a Muslim was arrested by authorities just before he was going to walk into a shopping center to blow up innocent civilians would you throw up your arms in despair and say "so much for freedom of religion"?

I'm not equating refusing to issue a marriage license to a gay couple with blowing up innocent people; I am saying they are similar in that in each scenario the Christian and Muslim both broke a civil or federal law, and as such their religious 'liberty' was circumvented, and rightly so.

She can march on city hall with signs of protest; she can write multiple letters to the editor of their local newspaper; she can go on radio and TV to voice her views, and all would be covered under freedom of religion. What she can't do is decide when she will and will not follow the law.

Nihilistic Heathen
09-03-2015, 09:59 PM

Freedom of religion means the right to practice any religion you want, or not, without interference from the state. It does not mean the right to circumvent civic rules and laws in the name of your religion.

If a Muslim was arrested by authorities just before he was going to walk into a shopping center to blow up innocent civilians would you throw up your arms in despair and say "so much for freedom of religion"?

I'm not equating refusing to issue a marriage license to a gay couple with blowing up innocent people; I am saying they are similar in that in each scenario the Christian and Muslim both broke a civil or federal law, and as such their religious 'liberty' was circumvented, and rightly so.

She can march on city hall with signs of protest; she can write multiple letters to the editor of their local newspaper; she can go on radio and TV to voice her views, and all would be covered under freedom of religion. What she can't do is decide when she will and will not follow the law.

http://www.redletterchristians.org/wp-content/uploads/jesus_thumbs-up.jpg

Barry Morris
09-04-2015, 10:18 AM
NH, you do know that Jesus wasn't white???

dancingqueen
09-05-2015, 12:25 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/03/kentucky-clerk-contempt-of-court-marriage-licenses

Seriously?????

RWGR
09-05-2015, 11:48 AM
nh, you do know that jesus wasn't white???

wow

KDawg
09-05-2015, 09:09 PM

Judge orders Kim Davis to remain in jail for her continued refusal to either issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples or allow her deputies to do so
This clerk is in jail for a religious viewpoint. Call it what you want and justify away, but she lost her freedom for religious reasons.

Westender 3
09-05-2015, 11:26 PM
This clerk is in jail for a religious viewpoint. Call it what you want and justify away, but she lost her freedom for religious reasons.

No, the thrice divorced Kim Davis lost her freedom to impose her religious beliefs and was found in contempt of court for failing to do her sworn civic duty to all her constituents.

_daynzy
09-05-2015, 11:46 PM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/HGD6/korean-jesus/image.jpg?w=400&c=1
NH, you do know that Jesus wasn't white???

Barry Morris
09-06-2015, 12:15 AM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/HGD6/korean-jesus/image.jpg?w=400&c=1

Closer. He was born in Asia.

dancingqueen
09-06-2015, 03:10 AM

She is not in jail for believing what she believes... She is in jail for Contempt of Court....
If my religious belief was that all Christians should be killed would not allowing me to do so be an infringement of my right to freedom of religion?
Or does this only work for Christians?

Are you incapable of logical thought????

dancingqueen
09-06-2015, 03:11 AM
Closer. He was born in Asia.

You wouldn't be hijacking a thread or anything would you Mr. Morris?

RWGR
09-06-2015, 09:28 AM

No, she lost her freedom because she chose to break the law.

KDawg
09-06-2015, 09:31 AM
She is not in jail for believing what she believes... She is in jail for Contempt of Court....
If my religious belief was that all Christians should be killed would not allowing me to do so be an infringement of my right to freedom of religion?
Or does this only work for Christians?

Are you incapable of logical thought????
I'll try to spell it out for you.

This clerk stated she won't issue a marriage licence to gays because of her beliefs. She could have just been fired by the state of Kentucky for not doing her job then hire someone else to hand out licences. Instead they throw her in jail - that has a stifling effect on freedom of speech, religion, expression - CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT.

And quit citing the most extreme example of b.astardized religion on the planet to make your point Mr. logical thought. Get it, or did that go over your head due to lack of privilege?

RWGR
09-06-2015, 09:41 AM

This clerk stated she won't issue a marriage licence to gays because of her beliefs. She could have just been fired by the state of Kentucky for not doing her job then hire someone else to hand out licences. Instead they throw her in jail - that has a stifling effect on freedom of speech, religion, expression

Losing her job because of her religious beliefs wouldn't be a violation of her religious freedoms??

K, you're trying too hard on this one. You're contradicting yourself.

Admit you tried too hard to get your weekly US-bash fix with this issue, and it's backfiring.

KDawg
09-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Losing her job because of her religious beliefs wouldn't be a violation of her religious freedoms??

K, you're trying too hard on this one. You're contradicting yourself.

Admit you tried too hard to get your weekly US-bash fix with this issue, and it's backfiring.
It's a matter of degree. And quit playing the victim card... it doesn't work in every thread and loses it's punch when you use it all the time.

Barry Morris
09-06-2015, 09:52 AM
You wouldn't be hijacking a thread or anything would you Mr. Morris?

I think I begin to understand your logic. Posting a stupid picture is not hijacking a thread, but responding to it is.

Gotcha.

Sometimes I figure there's just no beginning to your logical processes!!!

Nihilistic Heathen
09-06-2015, 10:03 AM
I think I begin to understand your logic. Posting a stupid picture is not hijacking a thread, but responding to it is.

Gotcha.

Sometimes I figure there's just no beginning to your logical processes!!!

My picture was not off topic, anyone with even the slightest comprehension would know why I posted it.

Nihilistic Heathen
09-06-2015, 10:05 AM
They can't just fire her because she an elected official.

Barry Morris
09-06-2015, 10:50 AM
My picture was not off topic, anyone with even the slightest comprehension would know why I posted it.

Oh, I know why you posted it.

You can consider my contribution a clarification.

Barry Morris
09-06-2015, 10:53 AM
They can't just fire her because she an elected official.

If she doesn't do her job, then there must be some way to fire her. She isn't doing what she was elected for.

RWGR
09-06-2015, 02:12 PM
It's a matter of degree. And quit playing the victim card... it doesn't work in every thread and loses it's punch when you use it all the time.

A convoluted way for you to admit you're trying too hard, but accepted nonetheless.

RWGR
09-06-2015, 02:13 PM
If she doesn't do her job, then there must be some way to fire her. She isn't doing what she was elected for.

You don't fire an elected official, you recall them.

dancingqueen
09-06-2015, 03:22 PM

This clerk stated she won't issue a marriage licence to gays because of her beliefs. She could have just been fired by the state of Kentucky for not doing her job then hire someone else to hand out licences. Instead they throw her in jail - that has a stifling effect on freedom of speech, religion, expression - CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT.

And quit citing the most extreme example of b.astardized religion on the planet to make your point Mr. logical thought. Get it, or did that go over your head due to lack of privilege?

She was jailed for contempt of court:
http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=325

b) willful failure to obey an order of the court.

The court's power to punish for contempt (called "citing" one for contempt) includes fines and/or jail time

She is free to practice her religious beliefs, she cannot impose her beliefs on others on the tax payers dime. If this where a simple job, or employed position, she would have been fired. But she is an elected official, you cannot fire an elected person.
She was ordered by the supreme court to do something, she did not do it.... It's really quite simple.
If one was ordered to pay child support, but refused based on the grounds of religious belief, do you honestly think that should stand?

RWGR
09-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Some radical Muslims of the Sharia persuasion believe it is their religious duty to kill their daughter if she is raped, because she allowed her body to be defiled.

And if the authorities catch wind of this in time and step in to stop the murder, KDawg would lament the lack of religious freedom.

K, I know you like to create one anti-US thread a week; but last week just wasn't a good week for it, not enough stories lent themselves to your cause.

It's okay to go one week without one if the stories just aren't there. Because, well, the result is an over-reach, of which this thread is a perfect example.

Sadly, you lose. :( :( :(

KDawg
09-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Some radical Muslims of the Sharia persuasion believe it is their religious duty to kill their daughter if she is raped, because she allowed her body to be defiled.

And if the authorities catch wind of this in time and step in to stop the murder, KDawg would lament the lack of religious freedom.

K, I know you like to create one anti-US thread a week; but last week just wasn't a good week for it, not enough stories lent themselves to your cause.

It's okay to go one week without one if the stories just aren't there. Because, well, the result is an over-reach, of which this thread is a perfect example.

Sadly, you lose. :( :( :(
That's where you're wrong -- I bash ALL dumb, corrupt political and bureaucratic actions.

The Chronic Liar
09-06-2015, 09:48 PM
She disobeyed an order by a judge who was upholding the constitution. That is contempt of court. In no way whatsoever does this have anything to do with freedom of religion. She is in jail for contempt of court.

dancingqueen
09-07-2015, 01:06 AM
That's where you're wrong -- I bash ALL dumb, corrupt political and bureaucratic actions.

White flag accepted
(I've always wanted to be the first to say that)

Barry Morris
09-07-2015, 01:09 AM
White flag accepted
(I've always wanted to be the first to say that)

Mind you, it IS second hand TP!!!

dancingqueen
09-07-2015, 08:07 AM

Gets the job done.

RWGR
09-07-2015, 10:04 AM

BM is still reeling from the fact Blue said "translation please"

:) :) :)

The Chronic Liar
09-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Gets the job done.

It's better than having a dirty ass just out of spite.

Barry Morris
09-07-2015, 12:29 PM
It's better than having a dirty ass just out of spite.

I suppose. But I'm remembering that cats don't use it!!!

Eagles don't either.

RWGR
09-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Told you I'm not on Ignore :) :) :)

dancingqueen
09-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Hmm mm KDawg is suspiciously quiet.
Maybe he got his foot stuck in his mouth..

BFLPE
09-07-2015, 04:20 PM

So much for freedom of religion.Nah, kind of like the Hindu who wanted to work on the slaughter line at the beef processing plant.

Actually more the like the Hindu who had their job description changed without notice.

I think we'd tell him to find a different line of work if that happened though.

BFLPE
09-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Told you I'm not on Ignore :) :) :)Thought Blue was the one on ignore.

I liked when soc put people on ignore.

RWGR
09-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Thought Blue was the one on ignore.

Nope, it's me. Whenever Barry says you're on ignore you can be 100% sure you are not.

He'd never put Blue on ignore. Though he may was well now. That relationship makes a Hollywood relationship look downright strong and vibrant.

But, you could see it coming a mile away.

Barry Morris
09-07-2015, 05:35 PM

I retract this. Hadn't thought of this:

"The first thing to acknowledge, however, is that Ms. Davis didn’t cause this problem. The Supreme Court did. When the court ruled in June that same-sex marriage is a constitutional right, it redefined marriage for the nation, in a way that I and many others do not believe was constitutionally justified. And it redefined Ms. Davis’s job."

Not the one she was elected for.

Also:

"Had same-sex marriage come to Kentucky through the Legislature, lawmakers could have simultaneously created religious liberty protections and reasonable accommodations for civil servants. But the Supreme Court decided this issue itself — and, as predicted by the dissenting justices, primed the nation for conflict."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/07/opinion/we-dont-need-kim-davis-to-be-in-jail.html?_r=0

RWGR
09-07-2015, 05:38 PM
It's called judicial activism. It's how The Left gets through its pet projects when they know the proper way (the voting booth) doesn't stand a chance (see: gay marriage; abortion).

Barry Morris
09-07-2015, 05:46 PM
"In a public statement that is anything but what you would expect from an individual within the LBGT community, Ciccone has blasted gays for choosing to chastise the clerk who simply exercised her right to religious freedom. Stating that “Once again, the gay community feels the need to be sore winners,” Ciccone explained Davis deserves “support” not prison."

http://libertynews.com/2015/09/didnt-see-that-one-coming-madonnas-openly-gay-brother-speaks-out-to-defend-imprisoned-kentucky-court-clerk/

The Voice
09-08-2015, 06:16 AM
I liked when soc put people on ignore.

I liked when it was a contest to see who could be the most ignored.

Barry Morris
09-08-2015, 09:31 AM
I liked when it was a contest to see who could be the most ignored.

Or ignorant?? :) :) :)

KDawg
09-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Nah... I just have a life. But since you sort of asked, I was at Ford Field rockin on to ACDC. Rock and roll ain't noise pollution!

KDawg
09-09-2015, 09:32 PM
And why was Barry banned? Weird stuff happens when you go to Detroit.

The Voice
09-10-2015, 12:09 AM
Or ignorant?? :) :) :)

Ignorant means Uneducated. Which is what people prove they are when they have never heard of the Glorious Revolution???

Ignorant also implies rudeness, but for that one might have to scour the "ARCHIVES" for Back Handed Insults. Eh Don???

The Chronic Liar
09-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Weird stuff happens when you go to Detroit.

I think you just came up with a great slogan for the city. Kinda like the equivalent to 'We the North'

Anapeg
09-10-2015, 10:07 AM
And why was Barry banned? Weird stuff happens when you go to Detroit.

For no reason that I can see. I read back into the posts and saw he was giving as good as he got yet he was given a time out for behaving as his tormentors. Bullying is tolerated nowhere else but here on Soonet.

The Chronic Liar
09-10-2015, 10:07 AM

Not really a foot in mouth. It's an opinion.

The Chronic Liar
09-10-2015, 10:09 AM
For no reason that I can see. I read back into the posts and saw he was giving as good as he got yet he was given a time out for behaving as his tormentors. Bullying is tolerated nowhere else but here on Soonet.

He dishes it out like the rest . Don't make him a victim.

The Chronic Liar
09-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Barry there is always a home for you at Freesoo. The members there are welcoming.

BFLPE
09-10-2015, 10:47 AM
And why was Barry banned?I guess 15 years of infractions finally caught up with him :)

Who knows, probably the same thing that led to many being banned after Barry handed out an infraction. Someone likely reported a post and an over zealous mod gave an infraction.

Good thing I'm not a mod, more often than not I'd probably tell the one reporting the post to suck it up.

It is an interesting reaction from Mr. Morris after getting a hand slap from the Principal. If his belief in the Holy Book wasn't so strong I would say pride played a part in his quitting over it, but that can't be the reason.

Anapeg
09-10-2015, 11:25 AM
He dishes it out like the rest . Don't make him a victim.

I don't believe any of the rest of us have our every post analyzed as his are. We all have opinions, that is what this board is for. I simply see all the wrangling (see piling on) as monotonous is all. There is a very small group of regulars on here and loosing any one of them could be detrimental if not catastrophic for the likelihood of this BBS continuing.

RWGR
09-10-2015, 06:18 PM
And why was Barry banned?

I'll take "Are You F'n Serious???" for $200, Alex

RWGR
09-10-2015, 06:20 PM
For no reason that I can see. I read back into the posts and saw he was giving as good as he got yet he was given a time out for behaving as his tormentors.

Damn, coffee all over my computer screen now

KDawg
09-10-2015, 09:41 PM
I'll take "Are You F'n Serious???" for $200, Alex
And the answer is... Yes. What was so different from the regular back and forth BS this time?

Hans
09-10-2015, 09:55 PM
This is not really the place to discuss this.I would just let it go before it gets out of hand.

The Chronic Liar
09-10-2015, 10:02 PM
This is not really the place to discuss this.I would just let it go before it gets out of hand.

What if he got banned for not issuing marriage licenses to gay people. This would be the perfect place to discuss it. If that's not why then maybe you are right.

Anapeg
09-11-2015, 12:04 AM

We have no "place" to discuss this. Give us a place and we will be there. Out of hand indeed. Some call names with impunity, others are not that lucky. The laws are followed with varying views and therefor varying penalties. Depends on the day and whether the Moderator woke up feeling like a million dollars or completely overdrawn.

Hans
09-11-2015, 07:04 AM
There is no need to discuss this.

RWGR
09-11-2015, 09:25 AM
We have no "place" to discuss this. Give us a place and we will be there. Out of hand indeed. Some call names with impunity, others are not that lucky. The laws are followed with varying views and therefor varying penalties. Depends on the day and whether the Moderator woke up feeling like a million dollars or completely overdrawn.

You just described a former Mod perfectly

Anapeg
09-11-2015, 01:30 PM
You just described a former Mod perfectly

Not my monkeys, not my circus. Moderators ought moderate, not participate. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Hans
09-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Not my monkeys, not my circus. Moderators ought moderate, not participate. Familiarity breeds contempt.

I don't think that makes much sense. That would be the same as stating a judge cannot participate in anything, because he should be judging, not participate.
No, I think the system is fine as it is, as long as "the law" is being followed.

Anapeg
09-12-2015, 10:22 AM
I don't think that makes much sense. That would be the same as stating a judge cannot participate in anything, because he should be judging, not participate.
No, I think the system is fine as it is, as long as "the law" is being followed.

You defend having your cake and eating it too. Police keep the general public at arms length save a few trusted souls for a reason. One cannot wallow with the swine without getting covered in mud. You diminish your authority.

Hans
09-13-2015, 10:28 PM
That is what showers are for.

Anapeg
09-14-2015, 10:03 AM
That is what showers are for.

I take your weak attempt at humour as resigning yourself to the truth?

Barry Morris
09-14-2015, 11:21 AM
Jail?? Could be trouble. I hope.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/09/stop_saying_samesex_marriage_is_the_law_of_the_lan d.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook#.VfavF2UN8uI.facebook