PDA

View Full Version : It's All In Your Mind (sort of)

RWGR
10-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Weather is not as objective an occurrence as it might seem. People's perceptions of what makes weather extreme are influenced by where they live, their income, as well as their political views, a new study finds.

There is a difference in both seeing and believing in extreme weather events, according to the study in the journal Environmental Sociology.

"Odds were higher among younger, female, more educated, and Democratic respondents to perceive effects from extreme weather than older, male, less educated, and Republican respondents," said the study's author, Matthew Cutler of the University of New Hampshire.

There were other correlations, too. For example, people with lower incomes had higher perceptions of extreme weather than people who earned more. Those who live in more vulnerable areas, as might be expected, interpret the effects of weather differently when the costs to their homes and communities are highest.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/10/17/kostigen-extreme-weather-perceptions/74119888/

Anapeg
10-18-2015, 12:45 PM
I will agree with the belief that from whence you came having pertainance. This is common sense. Believing in the size of ones bank account having an effect on how you measure the intensity of a storm is so much cod wallop in my estimation.

IMHO
10-18-2015, 01:07 PM
I GET A CHUCKLE OUT OF so called weather experts...like David Phillips from environment Canada . They pontificate about what our weather will be like this winter. I will start to even consider their forecasts when these weather experts can get even next week right.I put more faith in the birds. It has been my observation that when the blue jays are busy putting seeds in the vinyl siding...expect a rough winter. They HAVE NOT been doing that this year.SO...expect a reasonable winter. So there is MY pontification.

RWGR
10-18-2015, 01:22 PM
This winter's weather should be fairly easy to predict, however, due to El Nino.

Warmer temps, about 30% above average.

But, does that mean more lake effect snow? We shall see.

IMHO
10-18-2015, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=RWGR;769942]This winter's weather should be fairly easy to predict, however, due to El Nino.

Warmer temps, about 30% above average.

But, does that mean more lake effect snow? We shall see.[/QUO

It depends almost entirely on the wind DIRECTION across the lakes. A WNW wind or WSW wind brings the snow squalls right into the city. Bring ON THE SOUTHERLY WINDS...PLEASE.

Barry Morris
10-18-2015, 06:07 PM
I will agree with the belief that from whence you came having pertainance. This is common sense. Believing in the size of ones bank account having an effect on how you measure the intensity of a storm is so much cod wallop in my estimation.

I wonder. If one is younger and poorer, might one be more likely to go out and walk or take a bus to work. That might affect ones perception of extreme weather, especially as compared to the older person who has a car, parks it indoors, and doesn't even get his feet wet when he goes out.

Anapeg
10-19-2015, 09:59 PM
I wonder. If one is younger and poorer, might one be more likely to go out and walk or take a bus to work. That might affect ones perception of extreme weather, especially as compared to the older person who has a car, parks it indoors, and doesn't even get his feet wet when he goes out.

I think not. A storm is a storm, whether you walk through it or see it through the window. There is no doubt those in the storm will feel the effect but it has no effect on their sense of intensity. I have been on either side of the window pane and knew when a storm swirled about regardless.

Barry Morris
10-19-2015, 10:12 PM
I think not. A storm is a storm, whether you walk through it or see it through the window. There is no doubt those in the storm will feel the effect but it has no effect on their sense of intensity. I have been on either side of the window pane and knew when a storm swirled about regardless.

If I was soaking wet, I might think it more extreme.

Knowing and describing might be different.

Anapeg
10-21-2015, 01:21 AM
If I was soaking wet, I might think it more extreme.

Knowing and describing might be different.

I was raised in bush camps and in the country and played in virtually all kinds of weather. It seemed no worse to us. Perhaps city folk are different. We knew when the waves went over old Hwy 17 at Harmony it was bad. we were out in it but it was bad. We didn't even have a need for the weather network because we had single paned, single diamond windows.