PDA

View Full Version : uber alles

Hans
11-27-2015, 09:00 AM
City police will charge Uber drivers if they are found operating in Sault Ste. Marie.

Uber is a U.S.-based international company which presents itself to customers as an alternative to traditional taxi cabs.

Using the Uber mobile app, customers with cell phones send out a ride request, which are sent to Uber drivers who use their own vehicles.

Taxi cab company owners say Uber undercuts fixed taxi cab prices.

Uber drivers, in addition, are not properly licensed, trained or insured in accordance with bylaws governing taxi cab companies.

In extreme cases, Uber drivers have been charged with crimes committed against their customers.

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=101598

This will be an interesting showdown.
Personally I think it is more about money than safety, but that is just my opinion.

Barry Morris
11-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Hype?? Maybe.

Fear mongering?? No doubt.

About the money?? Sure.

Anybody know what a cab licence costs??

blueboy
11-27-2015, 09:49 AM
who cares ???

Barry Morris
11-27-2015, 10:05 AM
What a wonderful example of cordial interaction and an intelligent, thoughtful response from a well respected and fully involved member of the Soonet community.

Upper Decker
11-27-2015, 11:13 AM
who cares ???

We should. There is a clear conflict of interest ensuring competition is out. They are using fear mongering for crying out loud.

Barry Morris
11-27-2015, 11:39 AM
There is some reason for concern.

Uber drivers would be using their own cars, with only personal insurance. Any injuries sustained by passengers in an accident might not be covered.

Taxi drivers are screened by police checks.

"Training" is BS. They tell cabbies how to collect money, and not much else.

We needs cabs to keep operating. They are carefully controlled as to number. Competition of this type is not good for those companies. They might seem pricey to use, but vehicle costs are huge, and drivers don't make much more than minimum wage.

We really don't need Uber cars here.

RWGR
11-27-2015, 12:05 PM
I've used Uber in Detroit and San Diego. They are great. Timely, and very fair-priced.

Lance1
11-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Is that like me giving a person a ride and asking for gas money?

RWGR
11-27-2015, 12:11 PM
A bit

Lance1
11-27-2015, 12:39 PM
I did not know giving someone a ride who gives me gas money was illegal.

Chachinga
11-27-2015, 12:56 PM
I did not know giving someone a ride who gives me gas money was illegal.

That is not even close to the way it works.
No money is exchanged from passenger to driver.

Lance1
11-27-2015, 01:19 PM

You never seen me collect gas money once I give someone a ride someplace. I do not take plastic or homemade cookies.

Sorry did you mean this uber is free?

RWGR
11-27-2015, 03:13 PM

Not hand to hand, but money is still exchanged.

It's 2015, you know.

Anapeg
11-27-2015, 06:15 PM
There is some reason for concern.

Uber drivers would be using their own cars, with only personal insurance. Any injuries sustained by passengers in an accident might not be covered.

Taxi drivers are screened by police checks.

"Training" is BS. They tell cabbies how to collect money and not much else.

We need cabs to keep operating. They are carefully controlled as to number. Competition of this type is not good for those companies. They might seem pricey to use, but vehicle costs are huge, and drivers don't make much more than minimum wage.

We really don't need Uber cars here.

Local cab companies are also mandated to have a handicapped accessible vehicle in their fleet and in service as well. Does Uber? I would think not. Add to this the minimum wage for company drivers and fair rates for the brokers and viola, there is the difference in fares.

Barney Rubble
11-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Actually, in the big cities, uber drivers are screened by the police for criminal history etc....no money is exchanged because you start an online acct as a subscriber with debit card or credit card.
What's wrong with competition?
Why is SSM cops regulating the fees so that all companies have the same rate?
Do city & school bus drivers have to go thru cop screening? I think not!

KDawg
11-27-2015, 08:15 PM
... and viola, there is the difference in fares.
Who's Viola, and why is she so interested in cab fares in SSM?

Anapeg
11-27-2015, 08:19 PM
Actually, in the big cities, uber drivers are screened by the police for criminal history etc....no money is exchanged because you start an online acct as a subscriber with debit card or credit card.
What's wrong with competition?
Why is SSM cops regulating the fees so that all companies have the same rate?
Do city & school bus drivers have to go thru cop screening? I think not!

I do believe both city and bus drivers do require drivers abstract, as well as records check to get their licenses. Regular taxis have to have safety certifications yearly, does Uber with their private vehicles? Not likely.

Anapeg
11-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Who's Viola, and why is she so interested in cab fares in SSM?

The French voila is what I intended and missed, sorry.

Barry Morris
11-27-2015, 09:12 PM
..Do city & school bus drivers have to go thru cop screening? I think not!

Both school bus drivers and city bus drivers must have a police check.

Hans
11-27-2015, 10:49 PM
All you have to know: "Taxi cab company owners say Uber undercuts fixed taxi cab prices."

That is admittance to price fixing, which is not legal last time I checked.

Barry Morris
11-27-2015, 11:48 PM
All you have to know: "Taxi cab company owners say Uber undercuts fixed taxi cab prices."

As far as I'm concerned, price fixing should happen more often.

Fixed rates are needed on some services, especially those as carefully controlled and licenced as cabs.

Last I heard , BTW, a permit/licence for a cab cost $20,000!!!

Anapeg
11-28-2015, 07:54 AM
All you have to know: "Taxicab company owners say Uber undercuts fixed taxi cab prices."

Prices are "fixed" as in set by bylaw, not by the cab operators.

RWGR
11-28-2015, 10:38 AM
!

Not quite sure what to say ...

IMHO
11-28-2015, 12:12 PM

When in doubt.........say nothing.

Barry Morris
11-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Say nothing before thinking.

Sometimes laws have to be in place to keep services in place.

Free and open competition all too often just blows away businesses, and reduces quality, not to mention safety.

RWGR
11-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Say nothing before thinking.

Sometimes laws have to be in place to keep services in place.

Free and open competition all too often just blows away businesses, and reduces quality, not to mention safety.

Stalin would have loved you

Chachinga
11-28-2015, 01:54 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/wmnpu.jpg
Strikes again.

Hans
11-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Prices are "fixed" as in set by bylaw, not by the cab operators.

And that is price fixing.

Hans
11-28-2015, 02:56 PM

Fixed rates are needed on some services, especially those as carefully controlled and licenced as cabs.

Last I heard , BTW, a permit/licence for a cab cost $20,000!!!

You know what price fixing results in, right?

Bluesky
11-28-2015, 04:30 PM
It is not price fixing if the govt does it. It is price fixing if companies collude together to sell at a certain price.

Earlier, Barry said "Uber drivers would be using their own cars, with only personal insurance."
If that happens and they get caught by their insurance company, they are in deep doodoo. So if they want to stay in business, they need commercial insurance coverage.
Secondly as to the legality, the municipalities that charge those monstrous prices for a cab licence need to take a lesson from Uber. As long as they charge those large fees, Uber is going to undercut them, and regular cabbies will go under. Cities HAVE to get with the program, and provide a level playing field for all. Let the free market do its thing.

Uber works through the smartphone. When you register, they get your credit card info, and you are charged by the admin: the Uber driver gets his pay transferred to him electronically.

Hans
11-28-2015, 06:04 PM
But the government does not "do it". It is a local bylaw that "does it".
Makes you wonder how and when that bylaw was enacted.

Barry Morris
11-28-2015, 06:33 PM
But the government does not "do it". It is a local bylaw that "does it".
Makes you wonder how and when that bylaw was enacted.

Oh.

And here I thought elected city councillors and mayor were government, that passes by-laws.

Please tell us what they are if not the municipal level of government.

Barry Morris
11-28-2015, 06:35 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/wmnpu.jpg
Strikes again.

Oh?? Your hubby hit you??

Barry Morris
11-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Stalin would have loved you

So what you are saying is that nothing in the USA is price fixed.

Chachinga
11-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Oh??

Playing dumb again I see, well it suits you and is no surprise coming from such a flake.

You, the lowdown RAT ratted on me yet again for simply saying that we don't need any urban salvage yards, which you know is the truth and is very true, but somehow you have gotten away with having your own personal junk yard in the middle of the city.

Seeing as you couldn't do it yourself and have your head up the admin's ass, convinced him to give me yet another infraction on your behalf, you lowdown RAT.

You should have taken your own advice and left this site that you (as Blue said) singlehandedly destroyed while there may have been something left to salvage, but instead you hang around like a plague poisoning it more every day.

You need to go write on the chalk board ten million times, "I am a loser", it might finally sink in.

Barry Morris
11-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Playing dumb again I see, well it suits you and is no surprise coming from such a flake.

You, the lowdown RAT ratted on me yet again for simply saying that we don't need any urban salvage yards, which you know is the truth and is very true, but somehow you have gotten away with having your own personal junk yard in the middle of the city.

Seeing as you couldn't do it yourself and have your head up the admin's ass, convinced him to give me yet another infraction on your behalf, you lowdown RAT.

You should have taken your own advice and left this site that you (as Blue said) singlehandedly destroyed while there may have been something left to salvage, but instead you hang around like a plague poisoning it more every day.

You need to go write on the chalk board ten million times, "I am a loser", it might finally sink in.

The truth is not in you.

I reported you for revealing where I live, nothing else
I really don't care about your opinions about my property.
And if you don't have the skills to repair your own vehicles, that's your problem.

You comments about ME poisoning the board are funny, IMO. It's not me that's being insulting.

IMHO
11-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Why do posters have to be so MEAN to each other? Degrading each other is a cowardly thing to be doing. Kiss and make up !!!

Official Cat of Soonet
11-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Why do posters have to be so MEAN to each other? Degrading each other is a cowardly thing to be doing. Kiss and make up !!!

Stop being mean please.

RWGR
11-29-2015, 12:29 PM
So what you are saying is that nothing in the USA is price fixed.

Barry makes an accusation, and fails to provide proof, part 5,887

Barry Morris
11-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Barry makes an accusation, and fails to provide proof, part 5,887
Am accusation?? Perhaps.

Let me make is a statement, then you can counter.

There is never any price fixing, of any kind, in the USA.

BFLPE
11-29-2015, 02:32 PM

Last I heard , BTW, a permit/licence for a cab cost $20,000!!!20k, really? That's freaking ridiculous.

Not a fan of 'price fixing', much more a fan of competition.

Do we need cabs to be that carefully controlled and licensed?

Don't know enough to say I'm for or against easing up on controls.

In a major snow storm when the wait for a cab is long will uber still be undercutting their prices?

Does uber have handi vehicles?

Personally I've taken a cab twice in the past decade so I'm not too concerned about this.

IMHO
11-29-2015, 05:11 PM
I cannot believe it is 20 grand, I heard in Toronto it is 350 bucks.

Barry Morris
11-29-2015, 05:32 PM
I cannot believe it is 20 grand, I heard in Toronto it is 350 bucks.

According to this, I was quite wrong:

http://www.saultstemarie.ca/City-Hall/City-Departments/Finance/Tax-and-Licence/General-Licence-Information.aspx

Peety
11-30-2015, 08:40 AM

Good advice! I need a pep talk.

BFLPE
11-30-2015, 09:52 AM
According to this, I was quite wrong:

http://www.saultstemarie.ca/City-Hall/City-Departments/Finance/Tax-and-Licence/General-Licence-Information.aspxThat looks a bit more reasonable.

Legendguy
12-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Chuck and Butch are not happy

After Toronto cab drivers made their feelings on Uber known to Mayor John Tory in a large protest this week, the ride-hailing company continues to cause controversy in Sault Ste. Marie, even though it is not known when, or even if, it will begin operating in this city.

Local cab company owners told SooToday they clearly don't want Uber here.

"There's no control over what kind of vehicles are used (by Uber), no criminal background check for their drivers, we have to have accessible vehicles for people with mobility issues which are not going to be available through Uber, no professionally trained drivers…we have to look at the safety of the community," said Chuck Lewis, Cruz Cab Company owner.

"It's not necessary to charge higher rates at peak time (which Uber does), especially in a community of 72,000. Maybe in a community like Toronto, but not up here," Lewis added.

"What gives them (Uber) the right to operate that way when I have to operate under different circumstances, under a bylaw?" said Butch Wilson, Union Cab owner.

"What gives them the right to not have to have a criminal record check," Wilson said, referring to a Toronto Uber driver charged in October with sexually assaulting a passenger.

Then there's the issue of insurance.

"If I get into a traffic accident and I'm an Uber driver, what kind of policy do I have to protect you as a customer?" Wilson said.

"I have a $2-million liability, I pay over $100,000 a year in insurance for my vehicles…these guys from Uber aren't paying a dime because they're more or less subcontracted to a guy who has a car with his own insurance policy."

"The taxes that I pay per year…I just purchased a building on Brock Street and I have another one on Gore Street. I'm paying these taxes, what is Uber paying in taxes?" Wilson said.

"Is Uber going to come out with wheelchair vans, because we have to have them."

"Do they have a cab stand? No. Do they have dispatchers like we have 24 hours a day? I don't know. Who are they going to put in these vehicles? What kind of vehicles are they going to use? How are they going to suggest these rates when we all have meters and radios and top signs and an office?"

"We're forced to have this, this is money I have to put out of my pocket and try to earn it back," Wilson said.

"The people on the street aren't going to like it. First they're paying six dollars to go somewhere then they're having to pay 10 dollars to get there because it's peak time."

"Does the city bus do that? Does the city allow the city buses to increase their rates at peak times? No."

Uber is a U.S.-based international company which presents itself to customers as an alternative to traditional taxi cabs.

Using the Uber mobile app, customers with cell phones send out ride requests to Uber drivers, who use their own vehicles.

Uber has been known to undercut fixed taxi cab rates, and also jack up its fees during periods of the day when cabs are in greater demand.

Partly because of the presence of Uber and other such companies, a recent federal Competition Bureau report recommends local and provincial governments remove restrictions on the number of taxi licenses they grant to taxi cab companies.

It also recommends governments allow people to hail rides from the curb and allow cab companies to increase their rates at times of day when there is greater demand for cab rides.

In the Sault, taxi cab companies operate under a municipal bylaw which city police enforce.

Constable Henry Jin, in charge of administering all matters concerning the city taxi cab bylaw, has said he believes Uber would be operating illegally in Sault Ste. Marie as things currently stand with the local taxi cab bylaw, and has recommended to the Police Services Board the company be slapped with charges if apprehended locally.

No final decision has been made in the Sault in regard to Uber, but Mayor Christian Provenzano has said that while he agrees the current bylaw should be enforced, he also agrees with the Competition Bureau's report and would like the Police Services Board, at its next meeting, to look into re-examining the bylaw.

However, Union Cab owner Butch Wilson doesn't like it.

"It's the wrong way, I don't care what the Competition Bureau says."

The next Police Services Board meeting is scheduled for January 28 at 2 p.m. at the Sault Ste. Marie Police Services building.

Hans
12-17-2015, 04:34 PM
In other words, they don't want competition.

Anapeg
12-17-2015, 04:47 PM
In other words, they don't want competition.

They don't want unfair competition. Present cabbies pay for licencing, and the companies pay out thousands for their operators permits. Uber pays none of this. How can that be fair? Add to this cabbies have to go for a commercial mechanical every 11 to 12 months, Uber drivers do not. Cabbies have to carry expensive insurance by law. Uber does not. So level the playing field and cabbies will stand toe to toe.

RWGR
12-17-2015, 04:53 PM
So human beings cannot give rides to other human beings?

What UN charter is that in?

Hans
12-17-2015, 05:39 PM
They don't want unfair competition. Present cabbies pay for licencing, and the companies pay out thousands for their operators permits. Uber pays none of this. How can that be fair? Add to this cabbies have to go for a commercial mechanical every 11 to 12 months, Uber drivers do not. Cabbies have to carry expensive insurance by law. Uber does not. So level the playing field and cabbies will stand toe to toe.

Simple: they can become Uber drivers themselves. They can then do all these "unfair" practices and make a lot more money than they currently do.
I mean, you would be stupid to just stay a regular cab company.

Barry Morris
12-17-2015, 07:34 PM
So human beings cannot give rides to other human beings?

What UN charter is that in?

You wanna ride with no insurance??

IMHO
12-17-2015, 07:51 PM
I doubt insurance companies are going to pay a claim when they find out ubers are being used as taxis. What protection does a driver and passenger have in case of an accident?

KDawg
12-17-2015, 09:12 PM
You wanna ride with no insurance??
That's economic freedom, or whatever we have left of it. You decide what you're willing to pay for and the service is available. Beautiful.

Barry Morris
12-17-2015, 10:31 PM
That's economic freedom, or whatever we have left of it. You decide what you're willing to pay for and the service is available. Beautiful.

Like everything else in this world today, the desire for lower prices drives down the quality to the point that it becomes more and more difficult to get anything of real, lasting value.

Anapeg
12-17-2015, 11:17 PM
As long as you can save a buck you are comfortable with a private, uninsured, person, in a vehicle without a safety piloting you and your loved ones about. I assure you, a private individual unless they have admitted to their insurance they are using their vehicle to make money will have no insurance in the event of an accident regardless who is at fault. You can pull all the shell games you want, you will be on the hook for any and all expenses incurred from an accident for you and your family.

Hans
12-18-2015, 12:34 AM
So the guy who delivers pizza at my door once in a while has some special insurance that is super expensive?
Yeah...

http://www.bunnellhitchoninsurance.ca/commercial-insurance/transportation-insurance

If I am not mistaken you deliver pizza yourself, so you should know exactly how costly this insurance is.

IMHO
12-18-2015, 06:19 AM
The pizza guy is delivering pizza...not human cargo...big difference. It is not too likely that a pizza is going to sue a driver like a human would in the case of an accident.

Barry Morris
12-18-2015, 06:21 AM
So the guy who delivers pizza at my door once in a while has some special insurance that is super expensive?
Yeah...

http://www.bunnellhitchoninsurance.ca/commercial-insurance/transportation-insurance

If I am not mistaken you deliver pizza yourself, so you should know exactly how costly this insurance is.

Does a pizza delivery guy deliver people??? No.

Does HE pay for the pizza up front, adding a delivery fee to the customer?? Yes.

Hans, apples and oranges.

Anapeg
12-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Yeah...

No, he does not, I can tell you from personal experience but, should he get caught his insurance is forfeit and he is on the hook for any damages. He is, by law, supposed to tell his insurance he is using the vehicle for profit. This is the same for people plowing snow for profit. If you doubt me, call your own insurance company and simply put the question to them.

Anapeg
12-18-2015, 02:35 PM
Simple: they can become Uber drivers themselves. They can then do all these "unfair" practices and make a lot more money than they currently do.
I mean, you would be stupid to just stay a regular cab company.

Anyone, A N Y O N E, using their vehicle for profit must, by law, inform their insurance company and pay the increased premium. Most, the vast majority do not, but there you have it.

Hans
12-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Does a pizza delivery guy deliver people??? No.

Does HE pay for the pizza up front, adding a delivery fee to the customer?? Yes.

Hans, apples and oranges.

He does not pay up front. I pay by debit at my door, he has a portable debit machine for it.
If you read the link I provided, a pizza delivery person falls under "Local transport services".

Hans
12-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Anyone, A N Y O N E, using their vehicle for profit must, by law, inform their insurance company and pay the increased premium. Most, the vast majority do not, but there you have it.

Indeed, I never said you don't. The question is how much is the premium? And who says an Uber driver does not have such premium?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/insurance-bureau-of-canada-pushing-to-get-uber-drivers-covered/article26792745/
http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/09/08/intact-working-on-uber-ride-share-insurance.html

Clearly there is a lot of misinformation out there.

IMHO
12-18-2015, 04:01 PM
Where the heck did they get such a terrible name as UBER? JOY RIDE sounds better.

Hans
12-18-2015, 05:11 PM
It is a German word, but they removed the umlaut from it for spelling purposes.
In German the words means the best of, ultimate, above everything.

It is used in the German national anthem, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt, "Germany above all, above all in the world".

Anapeg
12-18-2015, 06:53 PM
He does not pay up front. I pay by debit at my door, he has a portable debit machine for it.
If you read the link I provided, a pizza delivery person falls under "Local transport services".

Most customers for delivery are cash transactions, Hans. The driver is out of pocket until the customer reimburses him and the adds $6.00 plus tip for delivery. When you use your debit, you pay the original amount owed the restaurant plus the $6.00 delivery. Either way, the driver is ahead $6.00 plus tip when he leaves the door. That dear sir is considered 'profit'.

Anapeg
12-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Indeed, I never said you don't. The question is how much is the premium? And who says an Uber driver does not have such premium?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/insurance-bureau-of-canada-pushing-to-get-uber-drivers-covered/article26792745/
http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/09/08/intact-working-on-uber-ride-share-insurance.html

Clearly there is a lot of misinformation out there.

Interesting. Once insured we will see if their rates remain static.

Hans
12-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Most customers for delivery are cash transactions, Hans. The driver is out of pocket until the customer reimburses him and the adds $6.00 plus tip for delivery. When you use your debit, you pay the original amount owed the restaurant plus the $6.00 delivery. Either way, the driver is ahead $6.00 plus tip when he leaves the door. That dear sir is considered 'profit'.

So if a pizza guy shows up at midnight with a pizza I did not order and send him back, he pays for the pizza?

Anapeg
12-18-2015, 08:00 PM
He takes it back to the store and is reimbursed for false orders. He is out the delivery amount in most cases. Once in a while, the store will give him part of or the full delivery amount.

Hans
12-19-2015, 02:01 AM
Hmmm, interesting.

Barry Morris
01-04-2016, 06:06 AM
Maybe regulation isn't such a bad thing.

1100 buck UBER ride.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2430713/alberta-man-furious-over-1000-uber-charge-on-new-years-eve/

Hans
01-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Riders are asked several times to acknowledge surge pricing. They are asked to confirm and accept increased fares. If the price is more than double, they must physically type that amount in themselves, meaning there are steps that must be taken before you accept a ride with surge pricing.

He knew, he was well aware. But he thinks he can get his 5 minutes in the news.

Hans
01-04-2016, 06:16 AM
And on another note, what would a regulated taxi service have changed for that exact same ride?

Barry Morris
01-04-2016, 06:41 AM
And on another note, what would a regulated taxi service have changed for that exact same ride?

60 km ride, 250 to 300 bucks.

http://www.numbeo.com/taxi-fare/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Sault+Ste.+Marie

Barry Morris
01-04-2016, 11:31 AM
The above prices was roughly estimated using Sault taxi rates.

Here's Edmonton rates, where the whiner lives!!!

http://www.taxiautofare.com/ca/taxi-fare-card/Edmonton-Taxi-fare

Edmonton taxi fare

3.60 drop (initial start price)
1.48 per km

98.64 km from the news site

Cost for a taxi for the distance $149.59. There is a possible variance of 10 percent estimated for heavy traffic.

He was charged $1114.71.

Even though they cut his cost by 50 percent, it's was still a 5 to one ripoff.

Maybe the meaning of "Uber" is true!!! :) :) :)

THAT is why UBER needs to be regulated!!!

IMHO
01-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Who cares.....if customers are dumb enough to agree to those rates they get what they deserve.

Barry Morris
01-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Who cares.....if customers are dumb enough to agree to those rates they get what they deserve.

Or drunk enough???

Still doesn't mean you can rip people off!!!

Anapeg
01-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Or drunk enough???

Still doesn't mean you can rip people off!!!

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall someone telling me you make a questionable loan if lending to a person with diminished mental capacity. The case can be made they were unable to make such a decision minus some faculties and a loan could be rendered uncollectible. If this is the case perhaps, as many will attest drunks are not known for making good decisions collecting from them might be looked upon in a similar light. I realize right now the drunks are covered with the misrepresentation law and forced to make restitution but cum a lawsuit and things could well change. Gambling debts were just rendered as an acceptable debt here just a few years ago.

The Chronic Liar
01-04-2016, 01:51 PM
If people want to take advantage of drunk people they should be allowed.

IMHO
01-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Stop with these excuses for drunks. Imagine the excuses when pot is finally legalized.

Anapeg
01-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Stop with these excuses for drunks. Imagine the excuses when pot is finally legalized.

Who is making excuses for drunks?

IMHO
01-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Who is making excuses for drunks?

read some of the posts above...saying that those drinking are not making good choices because they have been drinking...poor excuses.

Barry Morris
01-05-2016, 12:07 AM
So it's OK to rip people off when they make bad choices??

Hans
01-05-2016, 04:54 AM
Who says he got ripped off? He made a choice, he could have used a regular cab service, he approved of the extra fair cost.
Making bad choices does not equal being ripped off.

IMHO
01-05-2016, 07:18 AM
If he was sober he might have been more aware of the option of uber or a cab and what the costs were. Alcohol does slow down the thinking process.

Barry Morris
01-05-2016, 08:48 AM
If he was sober he might have been more aware of the option of uber or a cab and what the costs were. Alcohol does slow down the thinking process.

...and makes one more vulnerable to the unscrupulous.

He made a good choice in the first place, to take alternate transportation, and got ripped off in the end.

Not good advertising for UBER, and IMO, that's just fine!!!

The Chronic Liar
01-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Cab drivers and their antics are a good advertisement for Uber. One bad story of a drunk loser who can't make a smart decision ain't going to change my mind.

Barry Morris
01-05-2016, 09:26 AM
Cab drivers and their antics are a good advertisement for Uber. One bad story of a drunk loser who can't make a smart decision ain't going to change my mind.

Been a cab driver, and lived in the Sault for 46 years.

Never heard anything like that.

Like I said, he made a smart decision, then partied, as is to be expected, and got ripped off.

A cabby would lose his licence for that.

IMHO
01-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Is UBER planning to open in the Soo?

Anapeg
01-05-2016, 11:36 AM
read some of the posts above...saying that those drinking are not making good choices because they have been drinking...poor excuses.

I made no excuses. I was merely extrapolating.

RWGR
01-05-2016, 12:58 PM
I was merely extrapolating.

Taco Bell does that to me, too

The Chronic Liar
01-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Been a cab driver, and lived in the Sault for 46 years.

Never heard anything like that.

Like I said, he made a smart decision, then partied, as is to be expected, and got ripped off.

A cabby would lose his licence for that.

The I was drunk is never a good excuse for bad decisions. I've learned that many times from various judges.

Barry Morris
01-05-2016, 03:57 PM
The I was drunk is never a good excuse for bad decisions. I've learned that many times from various judges.

So what you are saying is that it's OK for someone to take advantage of you when you drink.

IMHO
01-05-2016, 04:10 PM
So what you are saying is that it's OK for someone to take advantage of you when you drink.

YUP...that is the price you pay for GETTING drunk

Barry Morris
01-05-2016, 04:30 PM
YUP...that is the price you pay for GETTING drunk

Sounds to me like you guys think it's the price for drinking at all!!

Still a rip off!!!

Hans
01-05-2016, 06:28 PM
If I charge you $1 per post you make, and you have the option not to make any, would that still be a rip off in your opinion?

Anapeg
01-05-2016, 07:01 PM
I would compare taking advantage of a drunk not unlike trying to have two wrongs make a right. Not going to happen.

Barry Morris
01-05-2016, 07:55 PM
I would compare taking advantage of a drunk not unlike trying to have two wrongs make a right. Not going to happen.

Wish Hans would get that.

Hans
01-05-2016, 07:57 PM
You never explained exactly how he was taken advantage off?

Anapeg
01-05-2016, 08:12 PM
You never explained exactly how he was taken advantage off?

Post 78, Chronic Liar makes the statement - "If people want to take advantage of drunk people they should be allowed". This is what I am writing to. How about you, Hans?

Hans
01-05-2016, 08:23 PM
So how does that explain how he was taken advantage off?

The Chronic Liar
01-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Did the Uber driver treat him any differently bases soley on the fact that he was drunk. I'm not so sure about that.

Anapeg
01-07-2016, 09:14 AM
The debates in here all seem to swirl all over the place and just how we got here is anyone's guess.

The Chronic Liar
01-07-2016, 02:15 PM
The debates in here all seem to swirl all over the place and just how we got here is anyone's guess.

Not that difficult to figure out. The thread was started talking about Uber. Some are for it some are not. The huge Uber bill was someones attempt to show the bad side of Uber. Now we are debating whether or not said passenger was taken advantage of because of drinking. How much more on topic can we stay after 5 pages.

ctf
01-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Not that difficult to figure out. The thread was started talking about Uber. Some are for it some are not. The huge Uber bill was someones attempt to show the bad side of Uber. Now we are debating whether or not said passenger was taken advantage of because of drinking. How much more on topic can we stay after 5 pages.

I am quite surprised that this thread hasn't degraded into a Canada vs. USA slugflest like most other threads on here. Getting real monotonous and probably one of the reasons this site has deteriorated so much. Petty bickering has a tendency to do that .

The Chronic Liar
01-07-2016, 03:47 PM
I enjoy petty bickering. It does get old though like you said so I try for major bickering every now and then

It has deteriorated because it's an outdated form of social media. Facebook comments on websites with trash talk and insults are going strong everywhere else.

IMHO
01-07-2016, 06:03 PM

LMAO...this site has never been known to have contributors that can stay on topic....personal vendettas are the rule.

Anapeg
01-07-2016, 10:25 PM

Great synopsis.