PDA

View Full Version : Good thing it is warm

Hans
12-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Imagine if all this water coming down would have been snow?

BFLPE
12-15-2015, 03:06 AM
Yeah, thank goodness for global warming.

Lance1
12-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Imagine if all this water coming down would have been snow?

I never thought of that, we would be in 10ft of snow by now.

Barry Morris
12-15-2015, 01:16 PM
I've seen some flooding where I never did before!!!

RWGR
12-15-2015, 05:57 PM
They said it would have been 2.5-3 (~90cm) feet of snow, had it been cold enough.

And, El Nino has nothing to do with global warming.

Barry Morris
12-15-2015, 07:45 PM
They said it would have been 2.5-3 (~90cm) feet of snow, had it been cold enough.

And, El Nino has nothing to do with global warming.
Yes we know. El Nino is having a greater effect for no reason whatsoever.

The Voice
12-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Yes we know. El Nino is having a greater effect for no reason whatsoever.

Interestingly enough one of the record highs we where chasing last week was almost 100 years old, I wonder how El Nino effected that record???

Bluesky
12-17-2015, 10:53 AM
I used to be on the side of the doubters. I am slowly being swayed. The involvement at the Paris summit of serious guys like Mark Carney (former Bank of Canada head and now of the Bank of England) gives me serious pause. I do not see guys like him speaking against the movement. If this was a scam, or a massive delusion and misinterpretation of the facts, I believe he would say so. He is a solid character. And regardless of how reliable this climate change data is, ultimately, I believe the move from carbon based energy to renewable energy is good for us all.

The Voice
12-17-2015, 01:48 PM
I have NO DOUBT in my mind that we humans need to seriously curtail our polluting and use of Fossil Fuels. I have always maintained that point.

But I also seriously doubt the credibility of anyone who flies around in a private jet and tells me I need to reduce my Carbon Footprint.

I am also quite sure that the climate has been changing since the earth was formed.

At the same time Global Warming has become a tidy little source of income for some in the scientific community.

Anapeg
12-17-2015, 02:42 PM
I used to be on the side of the doubters. I am slowly being swayed. The involvement at the Paris summit of serious guys like Mark Carney (former Bank of Canada's head and now of the Bank of England) gives me serious pause. I do not see guys like him speaking against the movement. If this was a scam or a massive delusion and misinterpretation of the facts, I believe he would say so. He is a solid character. And regardless of how reliable this climate change data is, ultimately, I believe the move from carbon-based energy to renewable energy is good for us all.

Most would agree with the climate changing. Some argue that man had an impact and all this does is get useless debates raging. Did man speed things along, more than likely. In the end, does it really matter how we got here? To a point, possibly but, more importantly, is there anything we can do to mitigate what is going to occur? As to those thinking man can alter the course of Mother Nature? I have some serious doubts. I feel we are simply along for the ride. The global warming/climate change camp did more harm than good with their ridiculous prognostications and fiddling with numbers to reinforce their arguments.
As for man's response, I have seen everything from riding it out to immediately cease all fossil fuel use and ban manufacturing. Whatever our chosen path, you can surely expect some drastic alterations to our excessive lifestyles.

Hans
12-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Hey, what happened outside?

IMHO
12-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Hey, what happened outside?

Just a reminder by mother nature about who is really in charge. It too shall pass...next May.

Hans
12-20-2015, 03:56 PM
My sources told me it will be gone by the end of this week.

Anapeg
12-20-2015, 04:24 PM
My sources told me it will be gone by the end of this week.

Looking at a high of 8 come Wednesday.

IMHO
12-20-2015, 04:27 PM
It looks more like it will be a dirty white Christmas .....we need a nice fresh 5 cm snowfall Christmas eve.

Anapeg
12-20-2015, 05:21 PM
It looks more like it will be a dirty white Christmas .....we need a nice fresh 5 cm snowfall Christmas eve.

I can still drive right into camp. I am enjoying this 'climate change' thank you.

IMHO
12-20-2015, 07:36 PM
i can still drive right into camp. I am enjoying this 'climate change' thank you.

well.......5 cm will not stop your camp pleasure......

Anapeg
12-20-2015, 08:37 PM
well.......5 cm will not stop your camp pleasure......

No, not at all. We have gone in through 2 feet of snow before and the 4X4's took it on stride.

Hans
12-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Looks like my sources were once again correct.

Anapeg
12-23-2015, 04:37 PM
As I age, getting into the Christmas spirit becomes more difficult, but subtract the snow, and just bloody forget it.

Barry Morris
12-23-2015, 10:20 PM
This is normal.

http://www.weather.com/storms/tornado/news/storms-tornadoes-christmas-week-december-21-28-2015?cm_ven=Facebook_TheWeatherChannel_Weather_JBa _Article_No_1_20151223_twcplayer

The Voice
12-23-2015, 10:45 PM
Interesting how the record we are chasing is from 1957 right at the start of the SO - CALLED cataclysmic release of CO2???

More interesting how last week we were chasing a record from 1919 from before the unprecedented release of CO2???

I really wonder, what is climate change???

Barry Morris
12-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Interesting how the record we are chasing is from 1957 right at the start of the SO - CALLED cataclysmic release of CO2???

More interesting how last week we were chasing a record from 1919 from before the unprecedented release of CO2???

I really wonder, what is climate change???

If you find a chart showing global average temperatures, you'll notice a spike up to 1945, then a drop.

Do you have any thoughts about what might have caused that??

The Voice
12-24-2015, 04:36 PM
If you find a chart showing global average temperatures, you'll notice a spike up to 1945, then a drop.

Solar Flares???

Anapeg
12-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Solar Flares???

The two larger wars did have an effect on weather I believe. The bombs and bombing created conditions conducive for a lot of rain. This is obviously an observation and has no scientific backing whatsoever. Air currents would have to be disturbed plus all the particulate in the air would have an impact.

The Voice
12-24-2015, 05:00 PM
The two larger wars did have an effect on weather I believe. The bombs and bombing created conditions conducive for a lot of rain. This is obviously an observation and has no scientific backing whatsoever. Air currents would have to be disturbed plus all the particulate in the air would have an impact.

Or maybe it was solar flares. Or maybe all the increased nuclear weapon testing. Or maybe El Nina.

Barry Morris
12-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Or maybe it was solar flares. Or maybe all the increased nuclear weapon testing. Or maybe El Nina.

And that is why there is little discussion.

One your mind is closed, a little thing like facts can't open it.

Of course, that would not be the whole story. Since "winning" is all important to some, entering in to real discourse is not going to happen.

Anapeg
12-24-2015, 06:51 PM

Nuclear testing came later, so no. El Nino is the warm one, El Nina is the colder. Unless I am mistaken? Solar flares more affect electrical, do they not?

Barry Morris
12-24-2015, 07:55 PM
Nuclear testing came later, so no. El Nino is the warm one, El Nina is the colder. Unless I am mistaken? Solar flares more affect electrical, do they not?

Oh, I dunno, seems to me that maybe, just maybe a global war where thousands of bombs went off, hundreds and thousands died as their cities burnt, and millions upon millions of gallons of gas were used, that there just MIGHT have been some effect on the global average temperature, which of course would drop as soon as the conflict ended.

Which the charts show.

But as we have seen our doubters can't actually see that information.

The Voice
12-25-2015, 05:32 AM
Oh, I dunno, seems to me that maybe, just maybe a global war where thousands of bombs went off, hundreds and thousands died as their cities burnt, and millions upon millions of gallons of gas were used, that there just MIGHT have been some effect on the global average temperature, which of course would drop as soon as the conflict ended.

Which the charts show.

But as we have seen our doubters can't actually see that information.

It's so Cute the way you two jump to each other's defense that way???

That's a new one so now war causes global warming???

I wonder why the Global warming Pundits never thought of that one???

Pretty soon you will be claiming sin causes global warming I'll bet...

Here's a little fact I'm guessing you don't know. The Americans dropped more bombs on Vietnam than they did on Germany.

Anapeg
12-25-2015, 10:48 AM
It's so Cute the way you two jump to each other's defense that way???

That's a new one so now war causes global warming???

I wonder why the Global warming Pundits never thought of that one???

Pretty soon you will be claiming sin causes global warming I'll bet...

Here's a little fact I'm guessing you don't know. The Americans dropped more bombs on Vietnam than they did on Germany.

I had no idea you were a conspiracy theorist. Might it be Barry and I think similarly? I can see the weather around me behaving somewhat oddly and notice it happening in many other parts of the world. Where Barry and I differ is, Barry insists man caused it. I say man had a hand in it, but it matters not who did it. It is happening and Barry thinks man must do something to alter Mother Nature and I am skeptical. I totally disagree that man can now alter the path as marked.

Barry Morris
12-25-2015, 11:49 AM
I had no idea you were a conspiracy theorist. Might it be Barry and I think similarly? I can see the weather around me behaving somewhat oddly and notice it happening in many other parts of the world. Where Barry and I differ is, Barry insists man caused it. I say man had a hand in it, but it matters not who did it. It is happening and Barry thinks man must do something to alter Mother Nature and I am skeptical. I totally disagree that man can now alter the path as marked.

Re the Voice: "But as we have seen our doubters can't actually see that information." Notice he didn't address this part?? :) :) :)

Anapeg, I don't insist that man caused it. I'm certainly aware that nature helps, solar activity, volcanoes etc. But no one ever addresses the millions of tons of pollutant man is annually spewing out, that never happened before!!.

CAN we do something to alter the climate?? Yes. WILL we?? No.

And you know that I believe the path was marked.

Barry Morris
12-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Toronto was warmer than LA on Christmas Eve.

IMHO
12-25-2015, 04:10 PM
No one will do anything to assist the existence of this world. This is the NOW society and the ITS ALL ABOUT ME society. People that are killing in the name of religion cannot be expected to give a crap about the environment. Enjoy this planet as we will likely be the last crowd to relish in its splendour.

Anapeg
12-25-2015, 05:11 PM
As climate changes, one area that can not be farmed will be equalled with another area becoming farmable, will it not? As to the rising sea levels which have so far been negligible at worst are not near as bad as predicted. Man is nothing if not adaptable and resilient. Failing this, all things have a shelf life. Perhaps it is our turn for extinction.

Hans
12-25-2015, 09:13 PM
Climate change has never causes mass extinction. That is a known fact.

IMHO
12-25-2015, 09:24 PM

so far...but what about in the next 10 years?

Hans
12-25-2015, 10:52 PM
Not going to happen. A mass extinction would require an extraordinary global catastrophic event. A few degrees warmer is not going to come even close to that.
You need something like a large massive asteroid impact, or the moon slamming into the Earth, or something along those lines.

Anapeg
12-25-2015, 11:55 PM
Climate change has never caused mass extinction. That is a known fact.

As I understand, an asteroid hit causing a global winter with all the ejaculate from the impact lingering in the atmosphere. Ipsofacto, climate change caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, not putting too fine a point on it, but there it is as I understand it from my schooling.

Anapeg
12-25-2015, 11:55 PM
Not going to happen. A mass extinction would require an extraordinary global catastrophic event. A few degrees warmer is not going to come even close to that.
You need something like a large massive asteroid impact, or the moon slamming into the Earth, or something along those lines.

On this you and I agree.

Barry Morris
12-26-2015, 12:47 AM

To turn the tables somewhat, as many deniers say that we are working with information from records that only go back 150 odd years....

How do you know this is a known fact?? I repeat something I've pointed out before.

If the earth is 5 and a half billion years old, lets let it cool for half that time, leaving two and a quarter billion years to consider.

How many times could a civilization have arisen and fallen?? Lets allow 50,000 years for each.

Would you believe 45,000 times???

So now who is considering "facts" from too short a period???

Hans
12-26-2015, 05:01 PM
There are only 5 major mass extinction events known in the past 500 million years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/extinction_events

Some say we are actually in the process of the sixth extinction event, that started at around 10,000 BC at the end of the last ice age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

So, it is perfectly possible that the climate events are part of that last period and unavoidable.
I do however believe we have an impact on it, and should work on doing what we can to lower our effect.

However, that opportunity has sadly been hijacked by governments and industry alike to make money from extra taxes on polluting equipment, and extra price tags on non polluting equipment.
Very little of that money is going towards research, or new technology. Most of it is going towards government coffers and company profits.

For example, there is no reason why LED bulbs should cost more than regular bulbs. They should actually cost less. The power savings on those could greatly lower emissions.

The Voice
12-28-2015, 11:31 AM

You are making the claim???

It should be you who supplies the evidence to back up said claim no???

Barry Morris
12-28-2015, 12:16 PM
You are making the claim???

It should be you who supplies the evidence to back up said claim no???

The chart has been posted here at least twice. I will see if I can find it.

It shows a slight but obvious rise in global temperature from about 1941 to 1945, then a sharp decline. The only obvious possible cause is WW2.

Is it a slam dunk?? Hardly. But it's an interesting point to the argument that man CAN have an effect on the climate.

Barry Morris
12-28-2015, 12:20 PM
This site shows five charts with approximately the same information.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=global+average+temperature&rlz=1C1CHWA_enCA596CA596&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=783&tbm=isch&imgil=9Yxh_KU39PrEvM%253A%253B5qJAzx2S02lplM%253Bh ttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fete.cet.edu%25252Fgcc%2525 2F%25253F%25252Fglobaltemp_teacherpage%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=9Yxh_KU39PrEvM%253A%252C5qJAzx2S02lplM%252C_&usg=__JowTWGupAQdJoGkxLePBZoQwvCc%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiz8bmq-v7JAhUi6oMKHVOoABsQyjcIMg&ei=q2CBVvPvFKLUjwTT0ILYAQ#imgrc=dnvomVmGN53x-M%3A&usg=__JowTWGupAQdJoGkxLePBZoQwvCc%3D

The Voice
12-30-2015, 07:43 PM
This site shows five charts with approximately the same information.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=global+average+temperature&rlz=1C1CHWA_enCA596CA596&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=783&tbm=isch&imgil=9Yxh_KU39PrEvM%253A%253B5qJAzx2S02lplM%253Bh ttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fete.cet.edu%25252Fgcc%2525 2F%25253F%25252Fglobaltemp_teacherpage%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=9Yxh_KU39PrEvM%253A%252C5qJAzx2S02lplM%252C_&usg=__JowTWGupAQdJoGkxLePBZoQwvCc%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiz8bmq-v7JAhUi6oMKHVOoABsQyjcIMg&ei=q2CBVvPvFKLUjwTT0ILYAQ#imgrc=dnvomVmGN53x-M%3A&usg=__JowTWGupAQdJoGkxLePBZoQwvCc%3D

Your chart shows a cooling trend during WWI. That goes against your theory. But hey I wouldn't want to mess up one of your theories with anything like common sense.

Anapeg
12-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Your chart shows a cooling trend during WWI. That goes against your theory. But hey I wouldn't want to mess up one of your theories with anything like common sense.

Surely the bombs(artillery) and those few thrown manually from planes could not come close to matching the amounts dropped in the Second World War?

Barry Morris
12-31-2015, 01:13 AM

Common sense as in checking ALL the charts on that page??

Sorry, you missed, and, thanks for pointing it out!!!

Barry Morris
12-31-2015, 01:14 AM
Surely the bombs(artillery) and those few thrown manually from planes could not come close to matching the amounts dropped in the Second World War?

I don't recall much action in the East either.

The Voice
12-31-2015, 06:25 AM

You don't know much more about WWI than you do about the Glorious Revolution.

It would be nice if you could actually supply some evidence rather than just what you think.

The Voice
12-31-2015, 06:30 AM
I don't recall much action in the East either.

Could you please supply a link to back up that claim.

The Voice
12-31-2015, 06:34 AM
Common sense as in checking ALL the charts on that page??

Sorry, you missed, and, thanks for pointing it out!!!

Oh I see again I am supposed to support your argument for you.

Let me point out again that the specific chart that pops up on your link shows a cooling trend during WWI.

This DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR MADE UP THEORY ABOUT WAR CAUSING Global Warming.

You need to decide if this is a 60 year Phenom or long term.

Barry Morris
12-31-2015, 10:53 AM
Could you please supply a link to back up that claim.

Why, no. Hard to find a link for things that didn't happen.

Barry Morris
12-31-2015, 10:54 AM
Oh I see again I am supposed to support your argument for you.

Let me point out again that the specific chart that pops up on your link shows a cooling trend during WWI.

This DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR MADE UP THEORY ABOUT WAR CAUSING Global Warming.

You need to decide if this is a 60 year Phenom or long term.

Ah well, we already knew that there's a lot of blindness around here.

RWGR
12-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Ah well, we already knew that there's a lot of blindness around here.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

Mat 7:3

Anapeg
12-31-2015, 01:53 PM
You don't know much more about WWI than you do about the Glorious Revolution.

It would be nice if you could actually supply some evidence rather than just what you think.

Your qualifications as a simple conversationalist are highly overrated.

IMHO
12-31-2015, 02:21 PM
I vote this the most boring topic of 2015.

RWGR
12-31-2015, 03:04 PM
Hardly. This thread is quite typical, actually. Barry comes on a thread, throws ridiculous accusations around, is asked to back up his accusations, refuses to do so then throws the thread into chaos and dysfunction.

Sadly,it's how he operates.

Barry Morris
12-31-2015, 03:15 PM
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

Mat 7:3

Yes?? And??

Barry Morris
12-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Hardly. This thread is quite typical, actually. Barry comes on a thread, throws ridiculous accusations around, is asked to back up his accusations, refuses to do so then throws the thread into chaos and dysfunction.

The blind think so, I agree.

RWGR
12-31-2015, 03:25 PM
Yes?? And??

Just pointing out your hypocrisy

RWGR
12-31-2015, 03:27 PM
You can tell what Bible passage Barry is obsessing over each day. A few days ago he used the word "rebuke" a lot. Then he talked of "blasphemy" a lot. Today, anyone who disagrees with him is "blind".

A god-complex the likes of which we've never seen.

IMHO
12-31-2015, 03:57 PM

....and you don't find that boring???

RWGR
12-31-2015, 03:58 PM

I guess, in a way, but it also shows people his true colors, and that I find VERY satisfying.

Barry Morris
12-31-2015, 04:04 PM

Hell no, he loves to argue, to the point where we really don't actually know WHAT he believes!!!

Speaking of true colours!!!

RWGR
12-31-2015, 04:06 PM
Hell no, he loves to argue, to the point where we really don't actually know WHAT he believes!!!

Says the man that comes from a tradition with tens of thousands of denominations :) :) :)

IMHO
12-31-2015, 04:25 PM
SO...you rather enjoy driving the NUTBAR crazy ??

BFLPE
12-31-2015, 04:31 PM
A couple of guys with slightly different religious interpretations, raised in the most peaceful part of the world, get this stupid over their minor differences and some wonder why the middle east is so messed up.

Barry Morris
12-31-2015, 05:12 PM
SO...you rather enjoy driving the NUTBAR crazy ??

Yes, I do!!!

Of course, it's not a drive, it's merely a putt!!!

:) :) :)

IMHO
12-31-2015, 05:13 PM
A couple of guys with slightly different religious interpretations, raised in the most peaceful part of the world, get this stupid over their minor differences and some wonder why the middle east is so messed up.

Killing people in the name of religion does not sit well with me,

Barry Morris
12-31-2015, 05:16 PM

Oh, this has nothing to do with religious differences!! I have friends in all kinds of denominations, including the Roman Catholic Church. We often discuss our differences, but it never comes between us.

There is only one person, who claims to be Roman Catholic, that I don't seem to be able to get along with. And religion has nothing to do with it.

Barry Morris
12-31-2015, 05:17 PM
Killing people in the name of religion does not sit well with me,

Under what name is it OK??? Atheism???

RWGR
12-31-2015, 05:20 PM
Oh, this has nothing to do with religious differences!! I have friends in all kinds of denominations, including the Roman Catholic Church. We often discuss our differences, but it never comes between us.

There is only one person, who claims to be Roman Catholic, that I don't seem to be able to get along with. And religion has nothing to do with it.

I have a feeling there's a bit more than one person you don't get along with.

Take this place, for instance ...

Barry Morris
12-31-2015, 05:23 PM
Keyboard warriors don't really seem like "persons".

No problem.

But I do enjoy the way you skip the point!!!

RWGR
12-31-2015, 05:24 PM

No problem.

And I like the way you constantly respond to non-persons!! :) :) :)

Barry Morris
12-31-2015, 09:32 PM
And again!!

Barry Morris
01-01-2016, 01:12 AM
Speaking of warm, the North Pole got up to 4 degrees C.

8th
01-01-2016, 07:09 AM
http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/sydney/22889/january-weather/22889

The Voice
01-01-2016, 07:55 AM
Why, no. Hard to find a link for things that didn't happen.

To that one answer would be if nothing happened in the east why or how were the Germans able to transfer 1,000,000 men to the western front after the Russian surrender in the spring of 1918?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Offensive

You think you are the expert of everything yet you show very little ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE of many things.

You do realize they had a GOOD REASON for naming it WORLD WAR ONE right? What am I saying of course you probably know next to nothing about either World War.

But why should that stop you from PRETENDING to be an expert.

The Voice
01-01-2016, 08:08 AM

So is El Nino caused by global warming?

Have we determined yet if you acknowledge the existence of the Ice Age or Dinosaurs??? Or do you subscribe to the theory that Dinosaur Bones are the work of the Devil???

The Voice
01-01-2016, 08:09 AM

So is El Nino caused by global warming?

Have we determined yet if you acknowledge the existence of the Ice Age or Dinosaurs??? Or do you subscribe to the theory that Dinosaur Bones are the work of the Devil???

The Voice
01-01-2016, 08:15 AM

No problem.

Keyboard Warriors are not real persons???

The Voice
01-01-2016, 08:18 AM
And I like the way you constantly respond to non-persons!! :) :) :)

My Nomination for the Best Post of 2015.

Begs the question if you insist on interacting with Non-Persons to the point of having to have the last word, maybe you are bat***** crazy? ROFLMAO!!!

Anapeg
01-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Keyboard Warriors are not real persons???

I believe the persons to be real, the personas, not so much.

Barry Morris
01-01-2016, 01:01 PM

Make me think of drunks. When the inhibitions (or responsibility) drop, you see the real person.

The Voice
01-03-2016, 06:30 AM
Make me think of drunks. When the inhibitions (or responsibility) drop, you see the real person.

You also seem to be obsessed with Drunks??? Like so many other Born Again Christians did you replace alcohol with God Too???

Barry Morris
01-03-2016, 08:43 AM
You also seem to be obsessed with Drunks??? Like so many other Born Again Christians did you replace alcohol with God Too???

The local expert on Born Again Christians!!!! Do you study to be as wrong as you so often are???

Official Cat of Soonet
01-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Are you insinuating that I am not a foul mouthed cat hellbent on wrecking this place?

Anapeg
01-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Are you insinuating that I am not a foul-mouthed cat hellbent on wrecking this place?

You, sir, are a p ussy cat.