PDA

View Full Version : TENNARIS.......one year later

IMHO
12-26-2015, 10:49 AM
It is sad to hear that the laid off Tennaris workers(from last Christmas) are now running out of unemployment benefits. This city has a higher than average rate of unemployment. The government, through MR. SHEEHAN, should be extending these benefits for another year. I THINK THIS IS ONLY FAIR considering that the FEDS are prepared to cover the cost of refugees coming to this country .Lets also look after out own as well.

Official Cat of Soonet
12-26-2015, 11:12 AM
It is sad to hear that the laid off Tennaris workers(from last Christmas) are now running out of unemployment benefits. This city has a higher than average rate of unemployment. The government, through MR. SHEEHAN, should be extending these benefits for another year. I THINK THIS IS ONLY FAIR considering that the FEDS are prepared to cover the cost of refugees coming to this country .Lets also look after out own as well.

2 years of EI? Are you insane?

BFLPE
12-26-2015, 11:17 AM
I assume you were looking at the article on SooToday.

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=103133

“(The Christmas layoff) was harsh but… you have to plan ahead in this industry. Whether its (at Tenaris) or Algoma Steel, that’s just the way the market (and) the industry works. If you’re going to get the axe you’re going to get it when they give it to you (and) it doesn’t matter if its Christmas or your birthday,” said Parsons.

Parsons said that, while jobs at Tim Hortons are always plentiful, ex-Tenaris workers are struggling to find the kind of work that can help them sustain lives built around decent steel-industry paychecks.

They budgeted their house, car, and family planning on the 20-something dollars per hour they were making at Tenaris.

“You live within your means (with your Tenaris wage) and (now) all the jobs in town are 12 or 13 bucks an hour. Well, you’re going to make more on your pogey than you would working so you’re going to stay on Employment Insurance (as long as you can),” said Parsons.
That guy has the right idea.

It sucks but I don't see why we should continue to support these people by extending benefits. They've had a year to figure it out.

Hans
12-26-2015, 05:04 PM
And after 2 will come 3 etc... I think you have to put an end to them at some point. One year seems fair. There are of course always special cases to consider on an individual basis.

Anapeg
12-26-2015, 05:45 PM
You are all correct of course yet walking away from what was a lucrative job and abandoning all seniority, benefits, vacation, etc. to start over is, at the very least, daunting. Leaving a hometown, family, friends not of your own free will make it all that much more unsavory. I can see their reasoning for hesitation. I would as well. I can identify and sympathize with them.

IMHO
12-26-2015, 05:55 PM
You are all correct of course yet walking away from what was a lucrative job and abandoning all seniority, benefits, vacation, etc. to start over is, at the very least, daunting. Leaving a hometown, family, friends not of your own free will make it all that much more unsavory. I can see their reasoning for hesitation. I would as well. I can identify and sympathize with them.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and make a move. However...it is a personal decision that has to be made by each family .I recently spoke with a young fellow who left the Soo a year ago when things dimmed for him at Tennaris. He is very happy and found quite a few jibs that paid around 20 bucks an hour in the Toronto area. It is NOT for everyone of course.

BFLPE
12-26-2015, 06:14 PM
You are all correct of course yet walking away from what was a lucrative job and abandoning all seniority, benefits, vacation, etc. to start over is, at the very least, daunting. Leaving a hometown, family, friends not of your own free will make it all that much more unsavory. I can see their reasoning for hesitation. I would as well. I can identify and sympathize with them.It sucks and I do feel for them. However, like the one dude in the article said, it's the way the market and then industry works.

Someone starting out there should know that and plan accordingly. Too many live either beyond their means or at the very limit of them without giving thought that the inevitable disruption will come. No sympathy in that regard.

Anapeg
12-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and make a move. However...it is a personal decision that has to be made by each family.I recently spoke with a young fellow who left the Soo a year ago when things dimmed for him at Tennaris. He is very happy and found quite a few jobs that paid around 20 bucks an hour in the Toronto area. It is NOT for everyone of course.

Twenty dollars an hour in Toronto is at or below the poverty line. After paying for housing, you would be broke. My daughter, son-in-law and three kids left Toronto for North Canton Ohio a couple of years back and they were staggered by the cost reductions they experienced.

Bluesky
12-27-2015, 10:43 PM
A single person can make it in Toronto on $20 per hour.
A couple can make it if the both of them work.