PDA

View Full Version : Protest in Tehran after Saudis execute Shiite cleric Nimr al-Nimr, 46 others

Hans
01-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Saudi officials said that the 47 executions were carried out at 12 sites after convictions for terror acts.

The condemned believed in extremist ideology and were members of terror groups, the ministry said in a statement.

Some were convicted of plotting and carrying out attacks against civilians going back as far at an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Jeddah in 2004.

Nimr, the imam of a mosque in a majority Shiite area of eastern Saudi Arabia, was an outspoken supporter of anti-government protests that broke out in 2011 -- part of the "Arab Spring" uprisings that swept across northern Africa and the Middle East.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/02/middleeast/saudi-arabia-executes-dozens-terror/index.html

I am all in favor of ensuring terrorists get proper convictions, but 47 dead sentences carried out in a day is a bit to much if you ask me. One has to ask the question if that in itself is not extremist ideology?

Anapeg
01-02-2016, 08:56 PM
I am all in favor of ensuring terrorists get proper convictions, but 47 dead sentences carried out in a day is a bit too much if you ask me. One has to ask the question if that in itself is not extremist ideology?

One a day make you feel better Hans? Perhaps one a week?

Barry Morris
01-02-2016, 10:04 PM
.... One has to ask the question if that in itself is not extremist ideology?

It is.

Hans
01-02-2016, 10:07 PM
One a day make you feel better Hans? Perhaps one a week?

I don't know of many countries with capital punishment laws who carry out 47 executions in a day.
I have never even heard of it.

Anapeg
01-03-2016, 01:24 AM
I don't know of many countries with capital punishment laws who carry out 47 executions in a day.

The folks from the middle east seem to do it with some regularity. I suppose it takes some time to get the citizenry to mob up to throw stones at the errant housewives and to decapitate the males who have strayed or robbed. This way you get them all out of the way at once, sort of akin to expediting matters.

Anapeg
01-03-2016, 01:25 AM

The folks from the middle east seem to do it with some regularity. I suppose it takes some time to get the citizenry to mob up to throw stones at the errant housewives and to decapitate the males who have strayed or robbed. This way you get them all out of the way at once, sort of akin to expediting matters.

Hans
01-03-2016, 04:51 PM
But obviously they don't get them out of the way at once, because they keep executing people.
With such a low population and such a high execution rate, you have to wonder how safe that country portrays itself to be.

Anapeg
01-03-2016, 06:36 PM
But obviously they don't get them out of the way at once because they keep executing people.
With such a low population and such a high execution rate, you have to wonder how safe that country portrays itself to be.

I have never heard the middle east referred to as safe, ever. Remember also there is a myriad of ways to end up decapitated over there as well. A daughter embarrassing the family and Pa has the legal right to take the family cutlery out and lop off her melon.

Hans
01-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Good thing they are our allies in the war on terror.

RWGR
01-04-2016, 11:32 AM
Good thing they are our allies in the war on terror.

Over there the enemy of your enemy is your 'ally'.

It's not perfect, but it's how things work over there. They are stuck in the twelfth Century in some respects.

Barry Morris
01-04-2016, 11:43 AM
I have never heard the middle east referred to as safe, ever. ...

Oddly enough, just yesterday I was talking to a guy who said he felt very safe in Israel.

I figure he must know something, as he's led over 20 tours over there.

Anapeg
01-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Oddly enough, just yesterday I was talking to a guy who said he felt very safe in Israel.

I figure he must know something as he's led over 20 tours over there.

With missiles dropping in whenever, suicide bombers always a possibility, kidnappings, ya, sure. I would feel rather comfortable as well.

Barry Morris
01-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Over there the enemy of your enemy is your 'ally'.

It's not perfect, but it's how things work over there. They are stuck in the twelfth Century in some respects.

Seems to me that the relationship between the USA and Saudi Arabia is similar!!

RWGR
01-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Seems to me that the relationship between the USA and Saudi Arabia is similar!!

One thing is certain: if you ray it's similar, there is a very, very good chance it is not :) :) :)

Barry Morris
01-04-2016, 06:15 PM
One thing is certain: if you say it's similar, there is a very, very good chance it is not :) :) :)

If you don't want to discuss it, that's fine.