PDA

View Full Version : A Jerusalem Post editorial

Bluesky
01-07-2016, 09:18 AM
Did you know that Muslims believe that Jesus is returning to earth? Among other things.

http://www.jpost.com/printarticle.aspx?id=440672

RWGR
01-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Interesting , I never knew that. Though the fact they see him as a "deputy" who will lead non-believers to "slaughter" is, sadly, not surprising.

This article certainly doesn't lend credence to the oft-told tale here that the problems in the Middle East stem primarily from US foreign policy. The major problems and dangers over there stem from religious radicals who want to hasten The End of the world.

The Voice
01-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Interesting , I never knew that. Though the fact they see him as a "deputy" who will lead non-believers to "slaughter" is, sadly, not surprising.

This article certainly doesn't lend credence to the oft-told tale here that the problems in the Middle East stem primarily from US foreign policy. The major problems and dangers over there stem from religious radicals who want to hasten The End of the world.

Many posters on this site only understand what they are being fed from the press.

The unrest in the middle east is more attributable to British Colonialism and the series of conflicting promises made by France and Britain during WWI.

Barry Morris
01-08-2016, 11:26 PM
Many posters on this site only understand what they are being fed from the press.

The unrest in the middle east is more attributable to British Colonialism and the series of conflicting promises made by France and Britain during WWI.

So why did the unrest come to the Americas??

RWGR
01-09-2016, 09:38 AM
So why did the unrest come to the Americas??

He's got a good point. Terrorism has only affected the US.

RWGR
01-09-2016, 09:39 AM

Damn, someone that KNOWS his history...impressive!

Barry Morris
01-09-2016, 10:09 AM
Kinda hoping to see an actual answer, unlike posts from the other so-called history teacher.

The Voice
01-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Kinda hoping to see an actual answer, unlike posts from the other so-called history teacher.

And I was kinda hoping that you would get the point that the problems in the Middle East run a lot deeper than American Foreign Policy.

Alas you can lead a horse to knowledge but you can't make him learn.

(I am not a History Teacher but it is fairly obvious that I am better read than many posters here.)

Barry Morris
01-09-2016, 10:56 AM
And I was kinda hoping that you would get the point that the problems in the Middle East run a lot deeper than American Foreign Policy.

Alas you can lead a horse to knowledge but you can't make him learn.

(I am not a History Teacher but it is fairly obvious that I am better read than many posters here.)

Well, it's obvious that the problems there run deeper than american foreign policy.

But thanks at least for the tacit admission that US policy had SOME effect on the actions of Muslims.

It has always been my thought that, though the problems are old, the acts of terrorists did not begin outside the Middle East until recently, and that the main impetus to those actions was american foreign policy.

The Voice
01-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Well, it's obvious that the problems there run deeper than american foreign policy.

But thanks at least for the tacit admission that US policy had SOME effect on the actions of Muslims.

It has always been my thought that, though the problems are old, the acts of terrorists did not begin outside the Middle East until recently, and that the main impetus to those actions was american foreign policy.

Acts of terror in the Middle East are not new. But thanks for sharing another uneducated opinion with us.

The Voice
01-09-2016, 11:37 AM
Honestly you should quit while you are ahead.

Barry Morris
01-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Honestly you should quit while you are ahead.

I would if you would address the questions posted.

I posted about "acts of terrorists ..... outside the Middle East"

You responded "Acts of terror in the Middle East are not new."

Not quite my point.

Would you care to respond about those, and their relationship to American foriegn policy??

The Voice
01-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Acts of terrorism outside the middle east aren't all that new either. But thanks for clarifying your position.

Barry Morris
01-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Acts of terrorism outside the middle east aren't all that new either. But thanks for clarifying your position.

Wish I could think of some, earlier than the times the US went after Middle East oil, among messing up other things.

But thanks for clarifying YOUR position.

RWGR
01-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Wish I could think of some, earlier than the times the US went after Middle East oil, among messing up other things.

But thanks for clarifying YOUR position.

You know why Barry won't address the issue of French/British policy and actions in the early-20th C turning the Middle East on its head? Because he had no idea that even occurred.

So lacking in general historical knowledge, yet so willing to throw out uninformed comments

Barry Morris
01-10-2016, 04:59 PM
You know why Barry won't address the issue of French/British policy and actions in the early-20th C turning the Middle East on its head? Because he had no idea that even occurred.

So lacking in general historical knowledge, yet so willing to throw out uninformed comments

Won't address it?? Actually, we were stuck with american textbooks back in the day, so we never heard much about it.

As I said, there were obviously more problems than those caused by the USA, but it isn't as if american foreign policy had NO effect. But you don't want to go there for obvious reasons.

Hard to reconcile 9-11 with French/British policy.

RWGR
01-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Won't address it?? Actually, we were stuck with american textbooks back in the day, so we never heard much about it.

Now you want to blame your all-too-obvious lack of a basic education on America. More proof you are disturbingly fixated on all-things America, which in part is driven by great envy.

As I said, there were obviously more problems than those caused by the USA, but it isn't as if american foreign policy had NO effect. But you don't want to go there for obvious reasons.

I like how you try to imply someone did not address an issue with you when the issue was addressed but you did not like the answer.

Hard to reconcile 9-11 with French/British policy.

Hard to reconcile the Paris attacks on US foreign policy.

Barry Morris
01-10-2016, 07:13 PM
No responses yet.

RWGR
01-10-2016, 07:18 PM
white flag accepted

Barry Morris
01-10-2016, 07:22 PM
white flag accepted

Sure, whatever "wins" for you.

Interesting stuff.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/11/24/is-it-time-for-the-u-s-to-rethink-its-approach-to-the-middle-east/

RWGR
01-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Yes, opinion pieces can be interesting.

Barry Morris
01-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Roosevelt to the British ambassador, 1944: "Persian oil … is yours. We share the oil of Iraq and Kuwait. As for Saudi Arabian oil, it's ours."

Yergin, D (1991) The Prize: The Epic quest for Oil, Money and Power

We knew that

Barry Morris
01-10-2016, 07:28 PM

And not to be discussed!! :) :) :)

RWGR
01-11-2016, 08:39 AM
What would you like to discuss from it?

RWGR
01-11-2016, 08:39 AM
Roosevelt to the British ambassador, 1944: "Persian oil … is yours. We share the oil of Iraq and Kuwait. As for Saudi Arabian oil, it's ours."

Yergin, D (1991) The Prize: The Epic quest for Oil, Money and Power

We knew that

By "we" he meant the western democracies...but you'd need to know a little bit about history to get that context.

RWGR
01-11-2016, 08:45 AM
Speaking of oil...

The Washington dust has not yet settled around Canada’s Keystone XL pipeline, but the fuzzy images visible Tuesday through the political storm do not look promising. Nothing in the current play of politics and oil prices would lead to the conclusion that Keystone will ever get approved.

But it’s worse than that for Canada. As the world oil market swirls, not just Keystone is at stake. The greater risk is that the great national global energy superpower dream is going down the drain, washed away by a confluence of forces over which Canada has no control.

And so now, instead of Canada selling oil elsewhere, the United States is selling its oil elsewhere. The day before New Year’s Eve, the Obama administration lifted a 40-year-old ban on oil exports that had been imposed as part of Middle East oil embargoes during the 1970s.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/terence-corcoran-the-end-of-canadas-oil-superpower-pipe-dreams

And I remember some of Soonet's more uninformed members talking of Canada holding the US hostage with oil not too long ago...

ooops, sorry!! :) :) :)

Barry Morris
01-11-2016, 08:53 AM

RWGR
01-11-2016, 09:01 AM

"imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Barry Morris
01-11-2016, 09:42 AM
"imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Ah, but that's only your opinion!!!

edit to add, you can have the last word!!! :) :) :)

RWGR
01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Ah, but that's only your opinion!!! :) :) :)

It's a quote from another person, so it would be that person's opinion, too.

sorry, I'm making this too difficult for you.