PDA

View Full Version : Canadians are More Polite!! Of Course!!

Barry Morris
01-11-2016, 09:54 AM
"It's a window into their own ideas and beliefs. Canadians seem a lot more buoyant and upbeat and positive."

"While the two neighbours are culturally similar, a new study from McMaster University shows that Canadian tweeters use more positive phrases such as "great," "amazing" and "beautiful."

Americans, by contrast, commonly used negative words such as "hate," "hell," "tired," "hurt" and "annoying."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/canadians-polite-twitter-1.3395242

RWGR
01-11-2016, 09:56 AM
So, Americans are realistic, and don't rely on over-used cliches to try to create an artificial reality.

go America!!!!

RWGR
01-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Brian Bailey
@Joseph Sharper LOL - too true. Actually Americans are better drivers because they are generally more courteous and definately are more apt to follow the rules. I have driven extensively in the US for work and always get stressed out when returning to Canada because our drivers are AWFUL! They don't know how to merge properly, they drive at inconsistent speeds, follow too closely, etc.

BobJohnson
And by "Canadians" - is this a euphemism for old stock Canadians?

Because I have observed the behaviours of some of our new Canadians and it ain't "polite"!

Not when it comes to waiting one's turn or giving someone your place in a queue - or letting someone merge in traffic.

ellen54
@BobJohnson This is so of our big cities, but I find not so of our outlying communities. [he's looking at you, SSM]

Gail Bischop
@Tam I am Canadian and based on my personal experience Canadians and Americans are equal in terms of politeness. I have been on trips out of Canada where my fellow Canadians embarrassed me with their rudeness and ignorance! I have always been treated with courtesy and respect in the United States. Forget the stereotyping.

and the best for last ...

Trajan
I've travelled through the Northeast U.S. years ago, as well as the Great Lakes states, and was always treated kindly and found the people friendly. Stories like this sometimes smack of an inferiority complex, of an obsession with comparing ourselves to our neighbours to the south, trying to find something that we're better at. A very low degree of smugness. "Someone said we're more polite!"

thanks, Barry!!!!!! :) :) :)

Barry Morris
01-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Flailing!!!

Of course, these are just opinions!!! :) :) :)

RWGR
01-11-2016, 10:36 AM
More threads, please!!

Anapeg
01-11-2016, 11:21 AM
I have come across my fair share of coarse, grinding Canucks as well. The internet is rarely a warm fuzzy place. It tends to eat the naive up and spit them out regardless the country of origin. Brits are the most likely to chew you up and spit you out in my estimation. They do not suffer fools or deceitful people and will question your credentials quickly when interacting. In my surfing, I have learned to tread softly around them. Some Americans, I do not wish to seem racist or biased so I will point no fingers here, can be deliberately antagonistic, confrontational and I simply flat out avoid them when they are in evidence.

RWGR
01-11-2016, 11:25 AM
So what we seemed to have found out is that human beings have different personalities, some good, some bad, regardless of which country they are in.

Shocking news, stop the presses.

Barry Morris
01-11-2016, 11:45 AM
And studies are merely opinions!!

Thanks!! :) :) :)

RWGR
01-11-2016, 11:49 AM
LOL...he's now discrediting his own thread!

Hans
01-11-2016, 03:59 PM
There's no doubt aboot it.

RWGR
01-11-2016, 05:10 PM
This one backfired terribly on the ol' chap. Hopefully his next attempt to stir up an 'America v Canada' battle (like all good Christians do) works out better for him.

Hans
01-11-2016, 05:22 PM
What about them Leaves eh?

Barry Morris
01-11-2016, 05:44 PM
This one backfired terribly on the ol' chap. Hopefully his next attempt to stir up an 'America v Canada' battle (like all good Christians do) works out better for him.

Your fondest wish!! :) :) :)

Of course, any studies YOU post are now discredited!!!

Good one!!!

RWGR
01-12-2016, 12:02 PM
Go easy on him, people, he's still punch-drunk from this backfire

Barry Morris
01-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Go easy on him, people, he's still punch-drunk from this backfire

We don't need studies about this, do we?? :) :) :)

Thanks!!!

RWGR
01-12-2016, 12:32 PM
...anger off the charts...

Barry Morris
01-12-2016, 01:36 PM
...anger off the charts...

Again?? Why do you need that??

dancingqueen
01-15-2016, 06:46 AM
Brian Bailey
@Joseph Sharper LOL - too true. Actually Americans are better drivers because they are generally more courteous and definately are more apt to follow the rules. I have driven extensively in the US for work and always get stressed out when returning to Canada because our drivers are AWFUL! They don't know how to merge properly, they drive at inconsistent speeds, follow too closely, etc.

BobJohnson
And by "Canadians" - is this a euphemism for old stock Canadians?

Because I have observed the behaviours of some of our new Canadians and it ain't "polite"!

Not when it comes to waiting one's turn or giving someone your place in a queue - or letting someone merge in traffic.

ellen54
@BobJohnson This is so of our big cities, but I find not so of our outlying communities. [he's looking at you, SSM]

Gail Bischop
@Tam I am Canadian and based on my personal experience Canadians and Americans are equal in terms of politeness. I have been on trips out of Canada where my fellow Canadians embarrassed me with their rudeness and ignorance! I have always been treated with courtesy and respect in the United States. Forget the stereotyping.

and the best for last ...

Trajan
I've travelled through the Northeast U.S. years ago, as well as the Great Lakes states, and was always treated kindly and found the people friendly. Stories like this sometimes smack of an inferiority complex, of an obsession with comparing ourselves to our neighbours to the south, trying to find something that we're better at. A very low degree of smugness. "Someone said we're more polite!"

thanks, Barry!!!!!! :) :) :)

Come on.... using comments section RWGR???

That being said, the article only uses the words themselves from Twitter.... hardly indicative of anything since words alone tell little if anything about what people are really communicating.

dancingqueen
01-15-2016, 06:48 AM
And studies are merely opinions!!

Thanks!! :) :) :)

though not surprising you think this, it is really sad that you don't know the difference....
Why don't you look up the meaning of each word....

RWGR
01-15-2016, 08:20 AM
Come on.... using comments section RWGR???

I think that particular comments section was very illuminating. It wasn't posted to show some kind of scientific proof, it was posted to show that most Canadians are not like BM; which is VERY, VERY good news for your country.

Barry Morris
01-15-2016, 08:49 AM
though not surprising you think this, it is really sad that you don't know the difference....
Why don't you look up the meaning of each word....

I don't think that DQ, you missed the sarcasm.

dancingqueen
01-15-2016, 05:21 PM
I don't think that DQ, you missed the sarcasm.

With you, it is often difficult to decipher....

Barry Morris
01-15-2016, 06:48 PM
With you, it is often difficult to decipher....

Sorry about that!!

The Chronic Liar
01-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Sorry about that!!

How polite.

Barry Morris
01-15-2016, 08:04 PM
How polite.

How the (unbelievably gross and offensive expletive deleted) would you know???

_daynzy
01-15-2016, 08:23 PM
how the (unbelievably gross and offensive expletive deleted) would you know???

you watch your mouth mister!!

The Chronic Liar
01-16-2016, 12:51 AM
How the (unbelievably gross and offensive expletive deleted) would you know???

Because it says it in the Barry Manual that you are polite. I bought it to try and figure you out. The whole incident at the Copacabana has left me confused though.

The Chronic Liar
01-16-2016, 12:55 AM
"Grandma and Grandpa taught me Jewish traditions and raised me to be polite, caring and sensitive, a gentleman"

http://hollowverse.com/barry-manilow/

Barry Morris
01-16-2016, 01:44 AM
you watch your mouth mister!!

It's a quote, daynzy!!! :) :) :)