PDA

View Full Version : Widening Black Road

IMHO
01-12-2016, 02:07 PM
The city is seeking funding to widen Black Road to 4 lanes from McNabb to Second Line. This seems like a waste of money. I travel that route a lot and the traffic flows quite nicely at 70 k per hour. In future..once the native band agrees to a land deal...Second Line will extend PAST Black road and hook up with 17 further east. Why spend money on a stretch that will not be a part of a future plan? I would much rather see money spent on Second Line hill and Second Line between Great Northern and Old Garden River road....or resurfacing Third Line between the Davey Home and Black Road. A resurfacing of Black Road between Third Line and Second Line would also make sense.

Barry Morris
01-12-2016, 02:27 PM
I know that one of the head guys retired, and it seems like changes are coming down the pike.

I doubt if the city sees any quick resolution to that Second Line extension, unfortunately, so widening the road is probably not a bad idea.

That Second Line/Great Northern intersection still needs help, big time.

IMHO
01-12-2016, 02:31 PM
I know that one of the head guys retired, and it seems like changes are coming down the pike.

I doubt if the city sees any quick resolution to that Second Line extension, unfortunately, so widening the road is probably not a bad idea.

That Second Line/Great Northern intersection still needs help, big time.

It needs dual turning lanes...that would avoid long lineups for turns. The big problem would be training drivers on how to use dual lanes...that could be a nightmare.

Barry Morris
01-12-2016, 02:34 PM
.... nightmare.

But the body shops would benefit, and lousy drivers would be wrecked!!

Sounds like a win/win to me!!!

The Chronic Liar
01-12-2016, 02:46 PM

I too love car crashes where people get hurt and die.

Barry Morris
01-12-2016, 03:02 PM

I didn't mention death and injury. You did.

Telling.

The Chronic Liar
01-12-2016, 03:47 PM
I didn't mention death and injury. You did.

Telling.

Tattletale

The Chronic Liar
01-12-2016, 03:52 PM
I'm sorry I thought wrecked means more than a fender bender and usually bad accidents have injuries. I will try less logic when trying to figure out your posts.

RWGR
01-12-2016, 04:32 PM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3818898/dancing-stick-figure-o.gif

IMHO
01-12-2016, 05:27 PM
It is always amazing to me how you guys can take a simple thread and quickly lose its original discussion and intent. No wonder there are so few new postings.

Barry Morris
01-12-2016, 05:53 PM
It is always amazing to me how you guys can take a simple thread and quickly lose its original discussion and intent. No wonder there are so few new postings.

By all means report the ones you find to be off the wall. Would you like me to delete mine??

IMHO
01-12-2016, 05:54 PM
By all means report the ones you find to be off the wall. Would you like me to delete mine??

If I do that...there may not be any left lol

Hans
01-12-2016, 05:57 PM
It only makes sense. It is 4 lanes at both ends, with a 2 lane stretch in between.

Now if they could just agree on a common speed we are good.
Traffic flow requires a good constant speed. Alternating between 60-70-60-50 is working against a good flow of traffic.

I vote for 90 all the way, to speed things up and create a good flow of traffic.

IMHO
01-12-2016, 06:00 PM
It only makes sense. It is 4 lanes at both ends, with a 2 lane stretch in between.

Traffic flow requires a good constant speed. Alternating between 60-70-60-50 is working against a good flow of traffic.

I vote for 90 all the way, to speed things up and create a good flow of traffic.

Def needs a common speed...that's for sure...maybe 70...BUT 90? wow...my jalopy wont go that fast...I will be ticked for going too slow.

Hans
01-12-2016, 06:02 PM
What they should actually do is make sliding speed limits, based on traffic and road conditions.
They do this all over Europe and it works great.

In that case they could slide between 60 and 120.

Anapeg
01-12-2016, 06:14 PM
What they should actually do is make sliding speed limits, based on traffic and road conditions.
They do this all over Europe and it works great.

In that case, they could slide between 60 and 120.

You are aware of the fact the city you choose to reside in has tried double turning lanes on Black at Trunk and gave it up as a poor idea when city police were petitioning for a satellite office in the little strip mall right there due to the number of mishaps?

Hans
01-12-2016, 06:17 PM
If you do them properly there is no issue.
What this city always does it literally cut corners and make most bends difficult to take and follow.
Black Dirt road is no exception to that.

Anapeg
01-12-2016, 06:19 PM
If you do them properly there is no issue.
What this city always does it literally cut corners and make most bends difficult to take and follow.
Black Dirt road is no exception to that.

What? The chicane does nothing for you?

Hans
01-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Besides annoying me, no.
Again, it goes back to my point of traffic flow. You need a constant speed for optimal traffic flow.

Anapeg
01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Besides annoying me, no.
Again, it goes back to my point of traffic flow. You need a constant speed for optimal traffic flow.

Let's not make a habit of this Hans, but I will have to agree with you on this one. Loose, or at least, lessen the radii of those two turns and yes increase the speed.

Hans
01-12-2016, 06:38 PM
It is also very important due to the climate we live in, to ensure you do not create extra hazards when making intersections.

Every morning when I turn from McNab bto South market Street I wonder what bright mind thought about that one.
It is a prime example on how to turn a perfectly fine road into a disaster area.

riggs
01-13-2016, 10:50 AM

Slowing down in your old age Hans?

Hans
01-13-2016, 08:23 PM
Well, considering everyone around here insists on speed limits I figured I would do them a favor.
Does not mean I really agree on that subject matter.