PDA

View Full Version : The Masked Saint and local production support

Barry Morris
01-27-2016, 07:22 PM
Other towns can show locally produced movies in prime times, but the Sault theatre won't.

Why is that??

The Chronic Liar
01-28-2016, 12:34 AM
Other towns can show locally produced movies in prime times, but the Sault theatre won't.

Why is that??

Because if it was that good it would be playing in prime time. There is a reason it's called prime time.

Barry Morris
01-28-2016, 01:06 AM
Because if it was that good it would be playing in prime time. There is a reason it's called prime time.

Indeed there is a reason. My question was not about that, especially considering the movie WAS put in prime time a lot of places ie Friday night opening. And the movie was shot right here in the Sault!!!

But it will be back.

Played twice here, sold out both times!!!

The Chronic Liar
01-28-2016, 07:00 AM
Indeed there is a reason. My question was not about that, especially considering the movie WAS put in prime time a lot of places ie Friday night opening. And the movie was shot right here in the Sault!!!

But it will be back.

Played twice here, sold out both times!!!

But theaters depend on concessions sales. The people that go to those movies are usually uptight, penny pinching oldtimers who only go to these movies out of obligation to fufill their holier than thou attitudes. They like to say to their friends, "yes I am pretty important and I only watch independent movies but I wont judge uncultered f'ers such as yourselves for going to see Ride Along 2". You don't have to worry about those kind of people chatting or using cell phones during the movie but you do have to hear the sound of plastic bags protected their new perms and the sound of hands rubbing on the floor as they look for their broach.
Another reason for the non prime time showing is that the type of people who see those movies park in two spots and sideways over three spots so that nobody scratches their freshly washed Elantras. Just not enough parking for that kind of parking and that size of egos.

Just a thought.

IMHO
01-28-2016, 07:36 AM
If prices were "reasonable" we might consider patronizing the concession instead of sneaking our own food in.

KDawg
01-28-2016, 07:44 AM
But theaters depend on concessions sales. The people that go to those movies are usually uptight, penny pinching oldtimers who only go to these movies out of obligation to fufill their holier than thou attitudes. They like to say to their friends, "yes I am pretty important and I only watch independent movies but I wont judge uncultered f'ers such as yourselves for going to see Ride Along 2". You don't have to worry about those kind of people chatting or using cell phones during the movie but you do have to hear the sound of plastic bags protected their new perms and the sound of hands rubbing on the floor as they look for their broach.
Another reason for the non prime time showing is that the type of people who see those movies park in two spots and sideways over three spots so that nobody scratches their freshly washed Elantras. Just not enough parking for that kind of parking and that size of egos.

Just a thought.
You used the word broach... that was awesome!

Barry Morris
01-28-2016, 10:07 AM

Just a thought.

A thought?? Looks more like a copy and paste.

Wouldn't it be odd then, that those people only live in Sault Ste. Marie!!!

BFLPE
01-28-2016, 11:02 AM
“The Masked Saint” is still kind of a chore to sit through, even for those predisposed to like anything that brings together Christian faith and sleeper holds. The only thing about it worth remembering is that it was the last film made by wrestler-turned-actor Roddy Piper before his death last year. http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-masked-saint-2016

Sounds like a smart business decision.

Barry Morris
01-28-2016, 12:45 PM
...Sounds like a smart business decision.

So is supporting local productions!!

Barry Morris
01-28-2016, 12:51 PM
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-masked-saint-2016

His comments about the movie are totally blown aways by:

"Film fans will remember him (Roddy Piper)as the star of “They Live,” John Carpenter’s brilliant piece of cinematic agitprop in which he played a homeless man who discovered that aliens were living among us on Earth disguised as Republicans that could be revealed only by wearing special sunglasses."

Briliant?? Hilarious!!!

BFLPE
01-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Blown aways, sure.

Sorry but The Masked Saint has terrible reviews. Prime time makes no sense.

The Chronic Liar
01-28-2016, 01:21 PM
So is supporting local productions!!

They put a crappy movie in the theater. Sounds to me like they support local productions. They put it into a non primetime slot and sold out. That to me sounds like a smart business decision.

IMHO
01-28-2016, 01:24 PM
Does it REALLY MATTER ?

Barry Morris
01-28-2016, 02:01 PM
Does it REALLY MATTER ?

Does supporting local production matter??

Barry Morris
01-28-2016, 02:02 PM
They put a crappy movie in the theater. Sounds to me like they support local productions. They put it into a non primetime slot and sold out. That to me sounds like a smart business decision.

So you're saying the Sault theatre made a smart decision, but nobody else did.

I see.

Barry Morris
01-28-2016, 02:04 PM

Just a thought.

I'd appreciate a definition of "holier than thou attitudes".

BFLPE
01-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Does supporting local production matter??To some it probably matters regardless of the quality. To most that's not the case. Some will probably suggest it should be supported because it was produced locally but really only support it because of the subject matter. Overall, supporting local production, as in all local production likely matters to very few.

Bluesky
01-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Faith-based movies are generally not done very well. I think there is a reason for it, and it involves some of the more numinous aspects of faith.
It is difficult to combine commercial interests, a message of truth and an agenda of proselytizing, by actors who are all pretending.
Plus, faith based movies are most often populated by sub-par actors.

Barry Morris
01-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Faith-based movies are generally not done very well. I think there is a reason for it, and it involves some of the more numinous aspects of faith.
It is difficult to combine commercial interests, a message of truth and an agenda of proselytizing, by actors who are all pretending.
Plus, faith based movies are most often populated by sub-par actors.

Bet Patrick and Diahann would be impressed.

In my experience, Christians often put down various forms of expression, having had very little exposure to it, because of their own preferences. Mostly music, but I think the attitudes carry over.

BTW, the movie had a Christian director.

Barry Morris
01-28-2016, 03:37 PM
.... Overall, supporting local production, as in all local production likely matters to very few.

In a similar way, I'd bet those same people ignoring the local production will scream when outside workers come into town.

Bluesky
01-28-2016, 03:46 PM
Bet Patrick and Diahann would be impressed.

In my experience, Christians often put down various forms of expression, having had very little exposure to it, because of their own preferences. Mostly music, but I think the attitudes carry over.

BTW, the movie had a Christian director.

You sidestepped my arguments. Basically you said, "Christians don't get it because they don't get out much".
PS. Dont know what you mean with your first line.

The Chronic Liar
01-28-2016, 03:57 PM
So you're saying the Sault theatre made a smart decision, but nobody else did.

I see.

Ok which theaters with 7 screens or less played the movie in primetime?

BFLPE
01-28-2016, 04:00 PM
In a similar way, I'd bet those same people ignoring the local production will scream when outside workers come into town.My, you do live in a black and white world.

Personally I don't support the movie business at all but I sure wouldn't scream if a local production brought in some outside workers.