PDA

View Full Version : Where prisoners are treated like people



Bluesky
01-28-2016, 02:52 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/25/norwegian-prison-inmates-treated-like-people

What do you think?

BFLPE
01-28-2016, 03:08 PM
"These are the houses for the prisoners," he says. They accommodate up to six people. Every man has his own room and they share kitchen and other facilities. "The idea is they get used to living as they will live when they are released."
Considering the recidivism rate it seems to work. I'd be all for testing out something like that so long as 'living as they will' includes some type of work.

Hans
01-28-2016, 06:54 PM
I prefer this: http://natgeotv.com/asia/inside-russias-toughest-prisons/videos/black-dolphin-prison

Anapeg
01-28-2016, 07:48 PM
I can see an argument for both types of an inmate. The more pedestrian, mundane miscreant who is capable of change is worthy of a first attempt at rehabilitation. The Russian prison also has a place where people such as this are forced to live out their lives, failing a society capable of the death penalty.

BFLPE
01-28-2016, 08:47 PM
When George Pearson grew up in the 1940s and 1950s, it was perfectly normal for prison inmates to visit his home and do regular maintenance work.

When Pearson was five years old, his family moved to the Burwash Industrial Farm, a provincial reform institution that was established in 1914, about 45 km south of Sudbury, and shut down in 1975.

Burwash, as it was commonly called, housed low-risk inmates who served sentences up to two years less a day. It was built on the premise that outdoor work and experience with different trades would benefit the inmates and lead to their eventual reform as productive members of society.

In 1907 the Ontario government of the day adopted the industrial farm approach to the penal system. The province's first industrial prison farm was Fort William, established in 1911.

Two years later, the province established the much larger Agricultural College in Guelph and Burwash the next year.

In his yearly report to the province, C.F. Neelands, Burwash's superintendent in 1918, said the industrial farm approach had proved successful.

"At Burwash Farm we impress upon our men the simple fact that irrespective of their past history, they will now be placed on their honour and given a chance to make good," Neelands wrote in his 1918 report.

"It is very satisfactory to be able to report that 70% of them have fulfilled this expectation, and by placing the remaining 30% at healthy outdoor work under surveillance, which is not suggestive of any mistrust, we believe that the best results will be obtained."http://www.thesudburystar.com/2013/03/30/accent-memories-of-burwash-prison

Bluesky
01-28-2016, 09:08 PM
Wasn't that the stretch of highway that had signs warning drivers not to pick up hitchhikers?

BFLPE
01-28-2016, 09:21 PM
That's before my time but it would make sense. If you read the rest of the article it seems escapes were quite common. It says recidivism was quite high also so I guess the approach didn't work that well.

What we have now certainly doesn't seem to get the same results as the Norwegians.

My first inclination is to make prison tougher but that doesn't seem to work so I'm all for trying something that may make it easier for those who've paid their debt to society to succeed once they are back out.

Anapeg
01-28-2016, 11:42 PM
My thoughts, first trip through, the Norwegian approach. The second trip through, a combination of the Canadian system and a much firmer Norwegian approach. Their third time through we go full Russian on their backsides.