PDA

View Full Version : Year of the Monkey + Black History Month = Racism

The Chronic Liar
02-02-2016, 10:54 AM
The Kings had placed black shirts adorned with a purple monkey as part of their Lunar New Year celebration on seats at Monday night's game against the Milwaukee Bucks. The Chinese Year of the Monkey begins Feb. 8.

However, Monday also marked the first day of Black History Month......
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14695362/sacramento-kings-scrap-planned-t-shirt-giveaway-demarcus-cousins-takes-issue

I would never have noticed any connection had they not made a big deal about it.

RWGR
02-02-2016, 11:17 AM
In today's world it pays off handsomely to cry victim-hood every chance you get.

Anapeg
02-02-2016, 05:07 PM
In today's world it pays off handsomely to cry victimhood every chance you get.

People's sensibilities are so easily upset anymore. We have lost the ability to allow for oversites and simple mistakes or even the ability to laugh at ourselves. I recall a time when you worked with the cards as dealt and that was considered being an adult. Now they whine and cry and point fingers to advance themselves at someone else's expense. People rarely stand on their own two feet any longer.

Anapeg
02-02-2016, 05:08 PM
In today's world it pays off handsomely to cry victimhood every chance you get.

People's sensibilities are so easily upset anymore. We have lost the ability to allow for oversites and simple mistakes or even the ability to laugh at ourselves. I recall a time when you worked with the cards as dealt and that was considered being an adult. Now they whine and cry and point fingers to advance themselves at someone else's expense. People rarely stand on their own two feet any longer.

BFLPE
02-02-2016, 05:28 PM
If you go looking for something, with appropriately tinted glasses, you'll probably it. Racism, Government conspiracies, prejudice, intolerance are all found where they don't exist.

I'm surprised they haven't renamed the White House yet.

IMHO
02-02-2016, 05:51 PM
If you go looking for something, with appropriately tinted glasses, you'll probably it. Racism, Government conspiracies, prejudice, intolerance are all found where they don't exist.

It will soon be HOUSE OF CLINTON....again !!

RWGR
02-02-2016, 07:18 PM

I never thought of that.

I'm sure it will be renamed the Race Neutral House before too long.

BFLPE
02-02-2016, 08:21 PM
I went looking, and found...,

The "White House" was born in a culture where race and color were issues of paramount concern. The name speaks of America's racial history. It owes it's existence to the beliefs and opinions that Anglo-Saxon Americans had about themselves as a race in a nation of white Americans, distinct from the African-American population that were in their midst. By 1901 whites were so cavalier about the supremacy they had achieved, legally, socially and politically, that they felt justified in making the name, White House official. In 1901, the time was right for the President to change the official name (by executive order) from what had been most appropriately the Executive Mansion to the "White House." http://www.answers.com/Q/Did_racism_affect_he_naming_ofthe_White_House

BFLPE
02-02-2016, 08:35 PM
And I went looking for a more likely reason...

Originally called the “President’s Palace” on early maps, the building was officially named the Executive Mansion in 1810 in order to avoid connotations of royalty. Although the name “White House” was commonly used from about the same time (because the mansion’s white-gray sandstone contrasted strikingly with the red brick of nearby buildings)...http://www.britannica.com/topic/White-House-Washington-DC

RWGR
02-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Phew, at least we know it didn't get its name because it's all white.