PDA

View Full Version : weather forecasting

IMHO
02-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Once again I look out my window this morning and see that the weather doomer and gloomer weather forecasters got it wrong again. Most forecasts talked about a winter "storm". Since when does 10-15 cm translate into a winter storm for us hardy northerners? When I was a kid we expected snow in the winter...no one talked much about how many INCHES we would get. Life went on as usual. Don't get me wrong...I am not disappointed that we did not get a big dumping of snow. I just think with todays technologies weather forecasting should be a little more honest and predictable. What they got on the east coast of the USA last week is a major winter STORM.

Barry Morris
02-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Once again I look out my window this morning and see that the weather doomer and gloomer weather forecasters got it wrong again. Most forecasts talked about a winter "storm". Since when does 10-15 cm translate into a winter storm for us hardy northerners? When I was a kid we expected snow in the winter...no one talked much about how many INCHES we would get. Life went on as usual. Don't get me wrong...I am not disappointed that we did not get a big dumping of snow. I just think with todays technologies weather forecasting should be a little more honest and predictable. What they got on the east coast of the USA last week is a major winter STORM.

I never saw predictions in the last 48 hours that our immediate area would get a huge blast. 48 hours is the 50/50 point.

This isn't eastern Ontario.

RWGR
02-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Storms that come up from the south rarely have any energy left by the time they cross the big lakes and get here

Anapeg
02-03-2016, 12:13 PM
When I want weather forecasting with any amount of certainty I rely on the American stations. They are, in my estimation, far better prognosticators of upcoming weather leaving their Canadian counterparts in their dust.

RWGR
02-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Karl Bonack on Oldies 93 was one of the very few weather guys who predicted Winter Storm Kayla was much ado about nothing.

Few inches, and a little bit of rain. He was dead on.

Anapeg
02-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Karl Bonack on Oldies 93 was one of the very few weather guys who predicted Winter Storm Kayla was much ado about nothing.

Few inches, and a little bit of rain. He was dead on.

He is the one I listen to, knows his stuff that lad.

blueboy
02-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Don,t look anymore !