PDA

View Full Version : ARGH

hemi_69
08-24-2007, 02:08 AM
So I need to reinstall XP on a laptop I have here, problem is the CD-ROM is shot, the BIOS doesnt support booting to USB and I can't boot to the network with the setup I currently have, any Suggestions or ideas??

Ali Goldman
08-24-2007, 02:54 AM
i have a few laptop cdroms what brand is it??

hemi_69
08-24-2007, 09:50 AM
toshiba tecra a1

jeffster
08-24-2007, 10:24 AM
do you have a laptop to ide adapter....toss the laptop hdd into your tower and install xp on it

hemi_69
08-24-2007, 12:01 PM
don't believe it would boot after that cause it would register all the hardware in teh desktop

Hans
08-24-2007, 06:04 PM
What you should do is install the laptop hdd in your tower, partition it with 2 partitions, install xp in second partition, copy complete XP cdrom into second partition.
Then put laptop HDD back in laptop, boot into installed XP, invoke installer on second partition , install into first partition.
Finally, use a partition program to delete second partition, and resize/add to first partition.
That's all that is required.

hemi_69
08-24-2007, 06:44 PM
sounds easy enough, i'll give it a go
Thanks

Cruel_Intentions
08-26-2007, 01:03 AM
I don't know about you, but I use the dvd rom on my laptop quite a bit, I'd just look into purchasing a new slim dvd-rom

hemi_69
08-26-2007, 03:07 PM
It's not my laptop otherwise thats exactly what I would do lol..
Hans, if I install XP to the second partition will I still be able to boot to it using the laptop?? seems to me that would be that same as just installing it using my desktop ...still wont boot??
just don't want to waste my time and have that much downtime on my system for nothing

Hans
08-26-2007, 03:57 PM
XP can be booted from any partition. All it needs is a few small files on the first partition, all the rest will be loaded from whatever partition you point it to.
Take a look at boot.ini in the first partition to see what I am talking about. Or you can look up boot.ini on the net, it will give you all the syntaxes and commands you can apply.

So it should boot no problem in your laptop, only thing is it will redo all the hardware scanning and drivers, but that does not matter since you will install a brand new one on your first partition.

Note : You will have to edit boot.ini afterwards because you will end up with 2 entries, but that's super easy and straight forward.

BFLPE
08-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Doing things the hard way.

It sounds like you're able to connect the laptop hdd to the desktop. Connect it up as a second drive and boot to your windows xp. Next, format the drive. Next copy the i386 directory from the xp cd to the root of the drive. Shutdown your system.

Temporarily remove your other drive(s) and make the laptop drive the single and primary drive. Boot to the xp cd and start the installation leaving current file system intact. When it does the first reboot just shut it down. Now put the drive back in the laptop and start it up. It will go into setup. Soon it will ask you for the cd. Click ok and then type the path to the setup files 'c:\i386' You're on your way.