PDA

View Full Version : 1938 all over again

Bluesky
02-10-2016, 06:52 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/22/france-jewish-shops-riot_n_5608612.html

IMHO
02-10-2016, 08:08 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/22/france-jewish-shops-riot_n_5608612.html

This poor old world is on a path of total destruction.

RWGR
02-10-2016, 08:19 AM
Scary.

I was just doing some refresher reading on the Holocaust and the events that led up to it (Kristallnacht, Nuremberg Laws) because we're doing that chapter in school next week. What I read in a history book yesterday and what this article talks about is eerily similar in spots.

Bluesky
02-10-2016, 09:10 AM
I have in my possession my mother's certificate issued by the allies in 1948, that officially freed her from the Nuremburg laws that made being Jewish in Germany illegal. She was only 1/4 Jewish, but it was enough to put her at risk. It is said that the thing that saved her was living in the country on the farm and surviving with what she grew and was able to barter with her neighbours. She remained under the radar so to speak. All of this while my father was a soldier in Hitler's army.

The Chronic Liar
02-10-2016, 09:13 AM
I have in my possession my mother's certificate issued by the allies in 1948, that officially freed her from the Nuremburg laws that made being Jewish in Germany illegal. She was only 1/4 Jewish, but it was enough to put her at risk. It is said that the thing that saved her was living in the country on the farm and surviving with what she grew and was able to barter with her neighbours. She remained under the radar so to speak. All of this while my father was a soldier in Hitler's army.

Well that makes for an interesting family dynamic.

RWGR
02-10-2016, 09:20 AM

Wow, that's amazing stuff.

The Nuremberg Laws decreed you were Jewish if even only one of your grandparents were.

Bluesky
02-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Anything below 1/4 was considered pure Aryan again. 1/4 and above, (I think on the mother's side; at least that was the case with my mother) you were considered Jewish. (Although she was an evangelical Baptist).

Barry Morris
02-10-2016, 09:47 AM
This poor old world is on a path of total destruction.

I wonder why you haven't been accused of reading Tim Lahaye???

RWGR
02-10-2016, 09:58 AM
I wonder why you haven't been accused of reading Tim Lahaye???

Because he doesn't say that every day, about ever event that goes on.

Anapeg
02-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Simply remembering the past is not enough. For remembering is left those who fought in a war. Remembering is the domain of the old. The young see remembering wars as a day for a parade, perhaps a cursory pass at what happened. Teaching is what is needed. Teaching what was done, not candy coated rather the truth. Films, videos of the raw, horrible side of a war. It is not for those teaching to filtre, or sanitize but deliver it like a punch in the gut. There, there is what will put an end to cyclical side attached to hate. When things go bad humans rationalize horrid things as putting an end to what they see as the reason for all their problems. This and times such as we share right now create the likes of a Hitler and is the fertilizer required to allow them to flourish.

RWGR
02-10-2016, 11:41 AM
errrr...yup

The Chronic Liar
02-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Simply remembering the past is not enough. For remembering is left those who fought in a war. Remembering is the domain of the old. The young see remembering wars as a day for a parade, perhaps a cursory pass at what happened. Teaching is what is needed. Teaching what was done, not candy coated rather the truth. Films, videos of the raw, horrible side of a war. It is not for those teaching to filtre, or sanitize but deliver it like a punch in the gut. There, there is what will put an end to cyclical side attached to hate. When things go bad humans rationalize horrid things as putting an end to what they see as the reason for all their problems. This and times such as we share right now create the likes of a Hitler and is the fertilizer required to allow them to flourish.

One thing I've noticed with me and wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the younger generation are the same but I am desensitized to those videos that used to punch you in the gut as you put it. I think that takes away a lot of the impact that I remember having while learning about the wars.

RWGR
02-10-2016, 01:23 PM
It's true. They've grown up surrounded by so much violence from Hollywood, The Internet, and video games that those things that shock those of us of a certain age simply do not register much emotion on their gauges.

Bluesky
02-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Yeah, and the 'experts' said that watching violence on TV is not harmful.

RWGR
02-10-2016, 01:42 PM
And violence on TV is now passe'. When you ask kids today what their favorite TV show is they look at you like you asked what radio serial do they like best, Jack Benny or The Lone Ranger?

They don't watch TV, everything is streamed online.

Back in the day at least there could be some monitoring of what children watched, simply by the fact the TV was usually in a central location and parents knew what was on most of the time. Now they can hide away with headphones on and watch whatever they want on the privacy of their device of choice.

I really fear how all of this will eventually turn out. On a related note, we're raising a generation of kids with no communicative skills.

Anapeg
02-10-2016, 03:41 PM
And violence on TV is now passe'. When you ask kids today what their favorite TV show is they look at you like you asked what radio serial do they like best, Jack Benny or The Lone Ranger?

They don't watch TV, everything is streamed online.

Back in the day, at least, there could be some monitoring of what children watched, simply by the fact the TV was usually in a central location and parents knew what was on most of the time. Now they can hide away with headphones on and watch whatever they want in the privacy of their device of choice.

I really fear how all of this will eventually turn out. On a related note, we're raising a generation of kids with no communicative skills.

I have preached this very thing in the past, sorry for blacking out while typing. Hard to make a person uncomfortable with scenes of bombs and shootings culminating in speculation on black and white grainy film when they have dismembered bodies complete with gore and sounds in a video. Mea culpa.

Hans
02-13-2016, 09:21 PM
Scary.

I was just doing some refresher reading on the Holocaust and the events that led up to it (Kristallnacht, Nuremberg Laws) because we're doing that chapter in school next week. What I read in a history book yesterday and what this article talks about is eerily similar in spots.

The Paris attacks were not sanctioned by the French government. That is where the difference is.
A government that sanctions this behavior is what you have to be scared for. Like say ISIS.
It is the reason why ISIS has to be acted upon properly.

Barry Morris
02-14-2016, 12:18 AM
Because he doesn't say that every day, about ever event that goes on.

Yer full of it, as usual. Anybody with any sense at all can see the truth of THAT statement.

Oh, and BTW winner, if you had the sense to ask, you'd find I read Lahaye 35 years ago, and not since.

RWGR
02-14-2016, 11:50 AM
It's funny you pretended to "ignore" me lately. We all know you weren't :)

Lance1
02-17-2016, 10:23 AM
The Muslim in France are a angry bunch. To each their own , France let them in.

RWGR
02-17-2016, 10:35 AM
Recent mag in Europe

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbbFiYkXIAALyBw.jpg

"The Islamic Rape of Europe"

rez
02-26-2016, 11:27 PM
Recent mag in Europe

"The Islamic Rape of Europe"

And our countries are letting them in by the plane load, daily..

RWGR
02-29-2016, 08:42 AM
True

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 08:58 AM
And our countries are letting them in by the plane load, daily..

Do you know the total number of immigrants allowed into the USA and Canada each year??

RWGR
02-29-2016, 08:58 AM
650,000 in the US

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 10:04 AM
And 250, 000 into Canada. (cue remarks about Canada's openness, but I digress).

How many are Muslims?

How many of those cause problems??

More than usual??

I doubt it.

RWGR
02-29-2016, 12:37 PM
And 250, 000 into Canada. (cue remarks about Canada's openness, but I digress).

That's counting refugees, too. My number did not count refugees, who do not fall under the immigration quota.

And, sorry, your number isn't so much about openness as it is the fact Canada just needs more people, period.

Today, the goal of the immigration system is to encourage youthful, bilingual, high-skill immigration in order to build human capital within Canada's aging labor force.

http://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/canadas-immigration-policy-focus-human-capital

Actually, Canada is seeing signs of worker shortages in several professions —including engineers, doctors and nurses, to name a few. Added to this is the fact that the population in some provinces is shrinking, and employers are having difficulty filling their rosters with skilled help. Paul Darby, director of the Conference Board of Canada, estimates a shortfall of 3-million skilled workers by the year 2020.

Boosting immigration could be a very effective way of helping to ease the shortage, but there are other impediments.

Read more at http://www.readersdigest.ca/features/hot-topics/why-canada-needs-more-immigrants%E2%80%94now/

RWGR
02-29-2016, 12:38 PM
I just schooled you on both the Bible and your own immigration policy, all in five minutes.

I win.

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Actually, you lose every time you claim that.

I doubt if our problems are any different from yours.

Mind you, if Trump wins, you can bet those educated people aren't going to emmigrate to the USA as much. Canada will probably benefit!!! :) :) :)

RWGR
02-29-2016, 03:56 PM
Seething anger. Time to step away from the computer for a while, friend.

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Seething anger. Time to step away from the computer for a while, friend.

Are you really that mad??? Cool down, buddy, it's just the internet, and a few opinions!!!