PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices - Again

ctf
02-10-2016, 10:13 AM
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/gas-prices-heading-down-calgary-151900642.html

and the reason we are still paying close to $1 a litre is?? can anyone say " Local Corporate GREED"

Barry Morris
02-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Hey, somebody has to pay for the Macdougals big houses!!!

Barry Morris
02-10-2016, 10:50 AM
"As a rule of thumb, gas prices in Calgary will always be two or three cents higher than in Edmonton, McTeague said, because Edmonton has three refineries nearby, so Calgarians pay slightly more to transport the fuel."

Makes sense.

But I always understood that bringing in product by ship was the cheapest. So why don't our prices reflect that, considering there are lower prices many places where gas must be trucked in.

IMHO
02-10-2016, 11:15 AM
It is simply local gouging when a city like thunder Bay can sell gas for 71 cents a litre. Like any monopoly...once they got ya by the bag they don't let go.

RWGR
02-10-2016, 11:18 AM
They are betting the low CAD will keep many Canadians from crossing the bridge for, among other things, cheap gas.

If the CAD and USD were closer in value I bet you'd see lower gas prices over there.

Anapeg
02-10-2016, 12:11 PM
They are betting the low CAD will keep many Canadians from crossing the bridge for, among other things, cheap gas.

If the CAD and USD were closer in value I bet you'd see lower gas prices over there.

Those that hold the keys to the pipelines running under our city streets from the dock to the tank farms are far too arrogant and greedy to care about things like this. They prey on those poor enough, patriotic enough or just plain not able to cross the border to give a damn. We have seen this far too long. I will cross as long as I save a buck just to make the point I control where my dollar goes.

ctf
02-10-2016, 12:26 PM
At $1.60 per US gallon - today, the trend that I have seen and written about previously continues. That being a 30 cent difference per liter of gas on this side of the border regardless of exchange rate and or oil prices. For the last 7 years that I have tracked gas prices on each side of the border, there has been a consistent price difference ranging from 26 to 31 cents higher per liter on the Canadian Sault side. This seems to be the price that the powers that be feel is not too high to keep the so called patriotic people (buy local!!) on our side of the border. As others have stated publicly or to themselves, I along with countless others still continue to go where our HARD earned money will benefit me the most. As with others, my discretionary spending at big box stores on the US side has declined due to our unhealthy dollar, but gas is still a bargain of a minimum $1 per CDN gallon savings even after all fees (read Bridge) and conversions are taken into account. Unless we take measures to prevent this gouging, it will continue. We can only show our displeasure by going where we will save the most.

Barry Morris
02-10-2016, 05:14 PM
"Does the Sault have a gas problem?"

"The mayor of Sault Ste. Marie says he has been looking into the reasons why gas prices in the city are not in line with most other cities in the province."

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/does-the-sault-have-a-gas-problem-195886

It occurs to me that I don't recall seeing an interview with a MacDougall Fuels representative about the prices they charge.

I doubt they would like hard questions.

ctf
02-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Sadly and honestly, no amount of whining on this site or the posted Sootoday story will make any difference in how we are gouged. The only way to change is to do so with our feet. If more people cross the border and fill up, there will be an affect locally. This will not occur overnight, but if and when local providers start getting hit in their pocket book then we may see some movement in the price. We can be rest assured that should the price of oil suddenly double or triple, there would be an instantaneous increase in gas prices. The explanation being that the price of oil has changed. This comment seems to only be heard on the way up and not on the way down. The local distributor is banking on our collective apathy. Most are quick to speak but very slow to act.

Barry Morris
02-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Sadly and honestly, no amount of whining on this site or the posted Sootoday story will make any difference in how we are gouged. The only way to change is to do so with our feet. If more people cross the border and fill up, there will be an affect locally. This will not occur overnight, but if and when local providers start getting hit in their pocket book then we may see some movement in the price. We can be rest assured that should the price of oil suddenly double or triple, there would be an instantaneous increase in gas prices. The explanation being that the price of oil has changed. This comment seems to only be heard on the way up and not on the way down. The local distributor is banking on our collective apathy. Most are quick to speak but very slow to act.

Sault Michigan gas comes from the same supplier.

Barney Rubble
02-11-2016, 09:14 PM
"As a rule of thumb, gas prices in Calgary will always be two or three cents higher than in Edmonton, McTeague said, because Edmonton has three refineries nearby, so Calgarians pay slightly more to transport the fuel."

Makes sense.

But I always understood that bringing in product by ship was the cheapest. So why don't our prices reflect that, considering there are lower prices many places where gas must be trucked in.

Ok..on that logic...Calgary is farther away from Edmonton than I am....yet we pay minimal 10 cents more than Etown...everywhere else east, west & south is cheaper??? even cheaper in Saskatoon & a heck of a lot farther than Bonnyville. We are in the same situation s The Sault where as everywhere encompassing us is cheaper!!

Hans
02-13-2016, 10:24 PM
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/gas-prices-heading-down-calgary-151900642.html

and the reason we are still paying close to $1 a litre is?? can anyone say " Local Corporate GREED"

Stop buying their gas. Problem solved.

Barry Morris
02-14-2016, 01:15 AM
Stop buying their gas. Problem solved.

You gonna walk to work???

Or ride the bus?? (that uses fuel from the same source)

blueboy
02-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Same old Bull SAME GANG !

dancingqueen
02-15-2016, 11:38 AM

Supply and demand....
You want it? well, how bad?

Barry Morris
02-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Supply and demand....
You want it? well, how bad?

All we want is to know that we are paying a fair price for a controlled product.

There is only one supplier in the area, and prices are higher here than anywhere similar.

But I'll predict that Mr. Mayor will have nothing more to say about our problem, and I will not speculate why.

dancingqueen
02-15-2016, 04:55 PM
All we want is to know that we are paying a fair price for a controlled product.

There is only one supplier in the area, and prices are higher here than anywhere similar.

But I'll predict that Mr. Mayor will have nothing more to say about our problem, and I will not speculate why.

Well I hate to break it to ya, but you are not paying a fair price for anything... Company has gotta make money, and you are willing to buy it.
Lets not forget how many companies are involved in the sale of gas.... Everyone wants a slice of the pie, and if the consumers are willing to pay for it, then everyone is gonna get their bigger slice of pie.

RWGR
02-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Yes, it's called the free market and supply and demand.

Anapeg
02-15-2016, 05:31 PM
DQ, "willing to pay..." may not be the correct term, perhaps have to pay it might be a more acceptable term? Having a monopoly is always tempting to push the envelope.

dancingqueen
02-15-2016, 06:10 PM
DQ, "willing to pay..." may not be the correct term, perhaps have to pay it might be a more acceptable term? Having a monopoly is always tempting to push the envelope.

Is driving a right?
Is it a need?
I have gotten on quite fine without a vehichle and now many others who have as well.
What did we do before automobiles where invented?

Yes, "Willing" to pay is the correct term.
Automobiles are a convenience.

Hans
02-15-2016, 06:39 PM

I am not the one complaining about the price, others are.
As soon as I come up with a solution for them, they ignore it because it is an inconvenience.

And, nobody besides you said anything about walking to work. You can gas up across the river every time, just to avoid having to give them your money.

Barry Morris
02-15-2016, 06:52 PM
I am not the one complaining about the price, others are.
As soon as I come up with a solution for them, they ignore it because it is an inconvenience.

And, nobody besides you said anything about walking to work. You can gas up across the river every time, just to avoid having to give them your money.

You don't get it, do you Hans?? The same supplier, remember??

Hans
02-15-2016, 07:21 PM
But not the same price, remember?

IMHO
02-15-2016, 11:06 PM

I see the same price posted as I drive around the soo.

Barry Morris
02-15-2016, 11:19 PM

Hans said, "You can gas up across the river every time, just to avoid having to give them your money."

It's the same them, Hans. Ya follow???

ctf
02-25-2016, 09:46 AM
And now another reason for us to cross the border.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/02/24/wynne-warns-ontario-drivers-will-pay-at-pump-for-cap-and-trade.html

Too bad we have a few more years before we can throw this lying, theifing party out. This provinces economy is going to hell in a handbasket and Wynne is giving it a helping hand.

Reckidecky
02-25-2016, 11:27 AM
So, is there not a way to start a crowd funding platform to collectively create a publicly owned supplier? Have wondered that for a while actually and could be done on many fronts to combat corporate greed, IMO. To bad the local economy and market is so small, otherwise I think it could be a play! There just has to come a point where we "Collectively" say enough is enough...no?

IMHO
02-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Ms.Wynne is as bad as McGuilty before her. She is driving companies to Mexico and China. I am NOT in favour of fighting the so called CLIMATE FEAR MONGERING. I think this is one of the biggest scams going yet. Winter is still winter and summer is still summer...very little change since I was a kid. How David O can sleep at night supporting his inept boss is beyond me.

Anapeg
02-25-2016, 04:22 PM
So, is there not a way to start a crowd funding platform to collectively create a publicly owned supplier? Have wondered that for a while actually and could be done on many fronts to combat corporate greed, IMO. To bad the local economy and market is so small, otherwise I think it could be a play! There just has to come a point where we "Collectively" say enough is enough...no?

Sounds like a CO-OP.

Hans
02-25-2016, 07:18 PM
How much gas are you allowed to purchase for your own private use?

_daynzy
02-25-2016, 10:22 PM
You don't get it, do you Hans?? The same supplier, remember??

Drove past the new flying j yesterday and saw a "flying j" tanker truck with Alberta plates filling the tanks there. I'd assume they didn't get their fuel from McDougall. Yet the same gas and diesel price.

Barry Morris
02-25-2016, 10:29 PM
Drove past the new flying j yesterday and saw a "flying j" tanker truck with Alberta plates filling the tanks there. I'd assume they didn't get their fuel from McDougall. Yet the same gas and diesel price.

Interesting.

But you never know.

I wonder if he actually brought fuel all the way from out west.

_daynzy
02-25-2016, 10:30 PM
With the price it's at out west I wouldn't doubt it!

I'm going to rent my own tanker truck and fill up at retail price in Alberta and come back to sell it here below our retail price and make a killing.

Anapeg
02-25-2016, 11:13 PM
Is driving a right?
Is it a need?
I have gotten on quite fine without a vehichle and now many others who have as well.
What did we do before automobiles where invented?

Yes, "Willing" to pay is the correct term.
Automobiles are a convenience.

Driving is a need in the north at least. A family man having to ferry two or more kids around town with tight schedules a vehicle is a must. You may well argue Christ off the Cross but on this point I will not waver. Unless you feel the kids need stay home and forgo after school activities.

Barry Morris
02-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Driving is a need in the north at least. A family man having to ferry two or more kids around town with tight schedules a vehicle is a must. You may well argue Christ off the Cross but on this point I will not waver. Unless you feel the kids need stay home and forgo after school activities.

If I lived in Toronto, with a white collar job, and no kids, I wouldn't bother with a car either.

Easy to argue from that position!!

Reckidecky
02-26-2016, 09:57 AM
Exactly daynzy...why couldn't you say get a couple thousand people together, buy a truck and hire a driver, collectively, and deliver fuel to shareholders at cost. Creates a few jobs and everyone gets to save money at the same time!! ����

Hans
02-26-2016, 09:19 PM
Where do these trucks gas up?

blueboy
02-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Again.

Anapeg
02-27-2016, 01:44 AM

He would possibly bring a load with him from out west but trucking it from there continuously would be cost prohibitive. The have a dedicated truck with a driver on part time as they have but one station near enough to service. So, the product does come from the Mac Dougal tank farm or the old Texaco farm.

Anapeg
02-27-2016, 01:45 AM
Where do these trucks gas up?

The old Imperial tank farm or the old Texaco tank farm.

_daynzy
02-27-2016, 01:52 PM
IAgain

Wow nice input.

Anapeg
02-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Wow nice input.

They put this clever observation in periodically, they lack the capacity to engage as an adult.

The Chronic Liar
02-27-2016, 03:06 PM
Wow nice input.

He lines up for hours for free poutine. Enough said.

blueboy
02-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Same old same old.

Hans
02-27-2016, 06:11 PM
The old Imperial tank farm or the old Texaco tank farm.

So why can all those that are so upset with the local gas economy not go protest and block those 2 areas off? It would open up a path to media shaming, and most companies are very sensitive to how they are portrayed in the media.

Hans
02-27-2016, 06:15 PM
If you are going to respond please refrain from insulting others, or quoting insults.
Otherwise I will have to intervene.

IMHO
02-27-2016, 07:28 PM
If you are going to respond please refrain from insulting others, or quoting insults.
Otherwise I will have to intervene.

To whom are you speaking(or threatening) ?

Anapeg
02-27-2016, 07:47 PM
To whom are you speaking(or threatening)?

Blue boy, I suspect.

Hans
02-27-2016, 07:51 PM
To whom are you speaking(or threatening) ?

You should be able to see the posts I edited. It is not directed at any specific individual but simply a general statement.

Anapeg
02-27-2016, 08:03 PM
So why can all those that are so upset with the local gas economy not go protest and block those 2 areas off? It would open up a path to media shaming, and most companies are very sensitive to how they are portrayed in the media.

You can picket until your heart is content. The use of information pickets is valid. You cannot, on the other hand, slow or interfere with the legal day to day operations or you are liable for charges.
Your information had better be spot on and squeaky clean or the O/O will be all over you legally. The law will be with the company and you will need to tread lightly or suffer the consequences.
The problem then becomes one of how and where to gather information in a very protective group of businesses? You would need to know the cost to the supplier, his cost to operate the tank farm. His markup, his handling costs. Then the cost of trucking the product from the farm to the appropriate station, their cost for the product, their markup. It goes on and on to the point you would need a person intimate with the industry to go rogue and open up to you. Far too many places to make an error, far too many chances for a lie, to many chances to get your butt in a crack.

IMHO
02-27-2016, 08:16 PM
you can picket until your heart is content. The use of information pickets is valid. You cannot, on the other hand, slow or interfere with the legal day to day operations or you are liable for charges.
Your information had better be spot on and squeaky clean or the o/o will be all over you legally. The law will be with the company and you will need to tread lightly or suffer the consequences.
The problem then becomes one of how and where to gather information in a very protective group of businesses? You would need to know the cost to the supplier, his cost to operate the tank farm. His markup, his handling costs. Then the cost of trucking the product from the farm to the appropriate station, their cost for the product, their markup. It goes on and on to the point you would need a person intimate with the industry to go rogue and open up to you. Far too many places to make an error, far too many chances for a lie, to many chances to get your butt in a crack.

so...we are totally screwed for life.

Hans
02-27-2016, 08:17 PM
In that case, nothing will ever happen and those companies will continue with their current course of business.
In which case there is no point in further discussing this matter. Just pay and take it.

Hans
02-27-2016, 08:17 PM
so...we are totally screwed for life.

All you need is a politician to be on board and the media to be on it.

Barry Morris
02-28-2016, 01:05 AM
All you need is a politician to be on board and the media to be on it.

We'll see what the mayor has to say!!

The Chronic Liar
02-28-2016, 12:04 PM
You should be able to see the posts I edited. It is not directed at any specific individual but simply a general statement.

When Trump doesn't come close to winning the election, would you consider easing up on that rule?

IMHO
02-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Trump will be dumped eventually...no matter though...HILLARY is heading to victory(not that I like that).

Anapeg
02-28-2016, 07:54 PM
In that case, nothing will ever happen and those companies will continue with their current course of business.
In which case there is no point in further discussing this matter. Just pay and take it.

Were you to go back and read each and every one of these threads on gas prices this has been my message. Those who hold the keys to the pumphouse on the wharf and the tank farms do not give a damn about you or I or what we think of them. There are ample numbers who, for varying reasons chose not to cross the border to finance their greedy asses. It was many, many years ago when one of the major players could and did afford to import a Rolls Royce. They could $hit on the peasants then so today we could only imagine. So what they make today is for posterity. You also have to know someone on this board knows some of those of whom we speak and they are quite possibly monitoring yet correcting nothing because there is nothing to correct.

ctf
03-24-2016, 09:49 AM
So in the last few weeks we have heard that the product in the tanks was purchased when oil prices were a little higher in the fall and thus our prices would not come down. Now there was a bridge crossing increase and now the price of oil has increased from 25 to 40 per barrel on average. I guess the only greedy supplier looks at the situation and says " I guess it is safe for us to increase our prices here since we can get away with it." This rise in price from $.95 to $1.03 today is just plain greed and opportunism. It may well deter some from crossing and filling up in the US but not all. Ontario average today is $.929.

Sault Michigan $1.94 per gallon
Dollar conversion $.75
Litres per american gallon 3.78

Litre of gas in Michigan is is $.68 CDN for a savings of at least $.35 a litre.

can anyone say GOUGING.

The Chronic Liar
03-24-2016, 10:05 AM
The price of gas increases every time there is a holiday weekend since the dawn of man. Relax.

ctf
03-24-2016, 10:47 AM
8 cents a liter is a little over the top.Taking advantage of the recent bridge toll increase is just greed. Even without the increase we were 3 cents a liter over the provincial average. If it were strictly a long weekend blip I might agree with your observation. With that logic, we should see a dramatic decrease in the days following this long weekend. NOT.

The Chronic Liar
03-24-2016, 11:16 AM
8 cents a liter is a little over the top.Taking advantage of the recent bridge toll increase is just greed. Even without the increase we were 3 cents a liter over the provincial average. If it were strictly a long weekend blip I might agree with your observation. With that logic, we should see a dramatic decrease in the days following this long weekend. NOT.

I wouldn't say dramatic because it has gone up all across north America this week.

ctf
03-24-2016, 12:11 PM
Right, prices on average went up 3-5 cents a US gallon from March 19. It jumped 8 X 4.5 = 36 cents a CDN gallon here this morning. That is DRAMATIC and is GOUGING. We may be on the metric system and deal in litres, but we are not dumb enuf to equate a 4 cent rise in US gallon to equal 8 cents a liter here. The spike in prices occurred simultaneously today. Collusion???
As a local supplier, one would expect them to try and maintain local consumption. The CDN dollar increased over the last few weeks from 68 to nearing 76(Tuesday)and decreased the price differential that this supplier tries to maintain with our American dealers. This combined with the increase in price of bridge crossing is the major driving force.The thought is there is a margin at which customers cross border shop. Rape us now only cuz they can. I only bemoan the fact that they do, but I am one of I am sure many that cross to buy. Have for longer than I can remember and refuse to be hamstrung here. My money - my decision. Not asking anyone to accept as this decision is mine. Everyone has their own reasons for shopping where they do.

Hans
03-24-2016, 09:58 PM
"Rape us now only cuz they can"

That is a wrong statement. They can only do that if you gas up. Stop gassing up and there will be no problem.

Barry Morris
03-24-2016, 10:04 PM
"Rape us now only cuz they can"

That is a wrong statement. They can only do that if you gas up. Stop gassing up and there will be no problem.

If you will come and carry my seven ladders, I'll stop.

Hans
03-24-2016, 10:10 PM
Hire people to carry them for you with the money you save from not gassing up.

The Chronic Liar
03-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Hire people to carry them for you with the money you save from not gassing up.

12 people @ $11.00 an hour. Ya that will save money.

Hans
03-24-2016, 10:31 PM
It is the way of capitalism. Either that, or stop complaining about the gas prices and suck it up.

The Chronic Liar
03-24-2016, 10:39 PM
It is the way of capitalism. Either that, or stop complaining about the gas prices and suck it up.

Good. The road you always complain about... suck it up.

Hans
03-24-2016, 10:40 PM
What road would that be?

The Chronic Liar
03-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Somewhere near Manitou.

Barry Morris
03-24-2016, 11:24 PM
12 people @ $11.00 an hour. Ya that will save money.

No clue.

Hans
03-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Somewhere near Manitou.

If you are talking about Manitou Drive, it is a brand new road.

The Chronic Liar
03-24-2016, 11:33 PM
If you are talking about Manitou Drive, it is a brand new road.

Not sure where. I just remember you were sobbing like fresh widow watching The Notebook while cutting a thousand onions.

Hans
03-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Come back when you are sure.

The Chronic Liar
03-25-2016, 12:04 AM
If you drive fast enough you will hardly notice the bumps.
But you should come and see the stupidity on Manitou Drive. They stopped putting in the new road about 50 feet away from the end. Needless to say it looks retarded to have a brand new road and a small piece of old road full of holes.
Whoever supervised that job should be fired. it is ridiculous not to include the last 50 feet. And that is not the only street in that area where they left a small piece of old road "intact".

The new part absolutely. I can get 100 K on it no problem, until I hit the old portion. Than I have to brake really hard because of the holes in it.

http://www.soonet.ca/showthread.php?53000-Sault-Ste.-Marie-Roadways/page3

You could have just sucked it up and not driven on that road. You just complained and complained at the time.

Hans
03-25-2016, 06:09 AM
2 posts hardly compares to the amount of whining I see about the gas prices in this town.
You will have to do better than that.

blueboy
03-25-2016, 09:39 AM
NO kidding,same old gang WAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The Chronic Liar
03-25-2016, 09:55 AM
2 posts hardly compares to the amount of whining I see about the gas prices in this town.
You will have to do better than that.

No, that was the maximum I needed to show. Suck it up or move out of the neighbourhood.

Hans
03-25-2016, 09:39 PM
Why would I move out when I have a brand new road? You make no sense at all.

The fact that they decided not to do the last 50 feet of the road, which by now has even more potholes, is retarded and whoever supervised/planned that job should be fired for it.
However, I have found a perfect solution to the problem.

Barry Morris
03-25-2016, 09:44 PM
Why would I move out when I have a brand new road? You make no sense at all.

The fact that they decided not to do the last 50 feet of the road, which by now has even more potholes, is retarded and whoever supervised/planned that job should be fired for it.
However, I have found a perfect solution to the problem.

You walk to work.

Hans
03-25-2016, 09:57 PM
No, I switch to a different road to get out. No more potholes for me.

Barry Morris
03-25-2016, 10:37 PM
No, I switch to a different road to get out. No more potholes for me.

So you use more gas!!! :) :) :)

Hans
03-25-2016, 10:43 PM
Actually less, as I can travel without having to brake and accelerate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PioPLTuCbhw

Anapeg
03-27-2016, 09:04 PM
Gas is still at 1.87 a gallon here, no changes to be seen.

Anapeg
04-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Gas is still at 1.87 a gallon here, no changes to be seen.

Fueled up today at $1.85 a gallon.