PDA

View Full Version : Suing Mounties

Barry Morris
02-14-2016, 09:39 AM
"Girl shot with stolen RCMP gun suing Mounties, officer"

http://globalnews.ca/news/2516581/girl-shot-with-stolen-rcmp-gun-suing-mounties-officer/

I wonder what disciplinary actions were taken against the cop.

riggs
02-14-2016, 11:42 AM
....Thankfully the person who stole the gun and shot the girl is not named in the lawsuit

Barry Morris
02-14-2016, 10:38 PM
....Thankfully the person who stole the gun and shot the girl is not named in the lawsuit

Thankfully?? Why??

He'll be lucky if he survives jail.

riggs
02-14-2016, 11:17 PM
Thankfully?? Why??

He'll be lucky if he survives jail.

Sarcasm Barry........I think it's a joke that it was turned into a money grab.

Barry Morris
02-14-2016, 11:20 PM
Sarcasm Barry........I think it's a joke that it was turned into a money grab.

Money grab, yup, sounds like it. The girl was probably approached by a lawyer hoping to make some money.

But I'd be pretty ticked at a cop who left his weapon unsecured.

And I do wonder if he was disciplined.

riggs
02-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Money grab, yup, sounds like it. The girl was probably approached by a lawyer hoping to make some money.

But I'd be pretty ticked at a cop who left his weapon unsecured.

And I do wonder if he was disciplined.

I'm waiting to hear if it was a cruiser or personal vehicle, on or off duty and locked or not.

BFLPE
02-15-2016, 09:15 PM
Off duty, marked cruiser, locked.

No point suing a 22 year old IP member, you'll get nothing.

Is it a money grab? Perhaps, perhaps not. Maybe it's on principle. When it happened the father was immediately saying this should never have happened and that he wanted answers.

A cop of all people should know better and while I don't blame him/her for the shooting they were negligent.

riggs
02-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Off duty, marked cruiser, locked.

I didn't see that in the posted article. Did you get this from another article? If so, could you post the link?
It appears the father also speculates on the exact location the weapon was found in the car. I expect we'll see more details as the investigation continues.

BFLPE
02-16-2016, 10:24 AM
...investigators believe the gun was stolen Friday evening from a marked RCMP vehicle parked outside the officer’s home.

“The officer’s equipment belt, including his firearm, had been secured in the vehicle,” Smyth said Monday. “Police believe the two accused unlawfully entered the vehicle and stole several items including the firearm from the off-duty officer.”
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/10/26/stolen-rcmp-gun-used-in-shooting-of-teen

BFLPE
02-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Garry Clement, a former RCMP superintendent, said it's a tragedy that a 16-year-old girl was injured when a stolen RCMP gun was fired into a car in Windsor Park early Saturday morning.

"The requirements to properly secure your weapon are well-enunciated, and a firearm that is left in a vehicle is supposed to be in a lockbox and fully secured with even a trigger lock on it," said Clement.

Winnipeg police said the firearm was taken from an off-duty RCMP officer's vehicle in the southeast corner of the city just hours before for the shooting on Autumnwood Drive.

Clement, who is based in Colborne, Ont., said it's next to impossible to steal a firearm if it's properly secured in a vehicle, adding it would have to be taken to a welder in order to get the box cut open.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/former-mountie-critical-after-rcmp-gun-used-to-shoot-winnipeg-teen-1.3292546

The Chronic Liar
02-16-2016, 10:39 AM
I have decided to give my opinion on the matter. I think I am the king of personal responsibility. I think the officer is partially responsible but not to the point that he is a bigger story than that of the shooter. If a kid finds a gun and shoots someone then sure, the negligence factor goes up. There has to be consequences to the officer to prevent the wrong people from getting guns but a lawsuit like this is not it.

BFLPE
02-16-2016, 10:41 AM
He said police told him the shooter was participating in a gang initiation ritual that night.

Vanderaa said his family has no gang involvement whatsoever.

"She’s not a bad kid," he said, choking up. "It’s brutal."

Vanderaa said he’s concerned the gun used to shoot his daughter may have been police-issued. He’s not after punishment for the officer, but he wants to know whether the Mounties’ policies were followed.

"I want an answer from the RCMP," he said.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/shooting-folo-337775881.html

The Chronic Liar
02-16-2016, 10:44 AM
Is that for me? I don't get the significance.

BFLPE
02-16-2016, 01:54 PM
Is that for me? I don't get the significance.

No, posted that before seeing your post.

Barry Morris
02-16-2016, 05:54 PM
I have decided to give my opinion on the matter. I think I am the king of personal responsibility. I think the officer is partially responsible but not to the point that he is a bigger story than that of the shooter. If a kid finds a gun and shoots someone then sure, the negligence factor goes up. There has to be consequences to the officer to prevent the wrong people from getting guns but a lawsuit like this is not it.

Certainly the shooter story should be bigger, but I suspect that, without the lawsuit, almost nobody would know about the incident.

I think I read the gun was in plain sight in the rear seat of the cruiser. Not exactly secure.

The Chronic Liar
02-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Certainly the shooter story should be bigger, but I suspect that, without the lawsuit, almost nobody would know about the incident.

I think I read the gun was in plain sight in the rear seat of the cruiser. Not exactly secure.

Yup a very bad thing and he should be punished accordingly.I'm not a fan of punitive damages.

Lance1
02-17-2016, 11:40 AM
I wonder what disciplinary actions were taken against the cop.

From history even if the cop was the shooter and the girl a unarmed bystander he would get off easily.

What about the Toronto cop "Convicted" of attempted murder in the bus incident . Not only is he out until sentencing he is still being paid by the Toronto police.

How can person convicted of attempted murder be on a police force pay roll?

The Mountie with the stolen gun will breeze through this.

The Chronic Liar
02-17-2016, 01:06 PM
From history even if the cop was the shooter and the girl a unarmed bystander he would get off easily.

What about the Toronto cop "Convicted" of attempted murder in the bus incident . Not only is he out until sentencing he is still being paid by the Toronto police.

How can person convicted of attempted murder be on a police force pay roll?

The Mountie with the stolen gun will breeze through this.

This is a civil matter so comparing it to a criminal matter and saying he will breeze through it based on that is probably not the best comparison.

BFLPE
02-17-2016, 08:10 PM
The suit states the firearm was stolen by the shooter earlier that evening from an RCMP cruiser that had been parked on a street in front of the southeast Winnipeg residence of the Mountie named as a defendant in the action, Sgt. Chris McCuen.

It also alleges that McCuen left his police belt, "replete with firearm, taser and baton, visible on the back seat of the car."

In leaving it there in an insecure manner, the suit further states, McCuen "violated police policy, common sense and safety regulations."

It specifically sites the "protection of the firearm and its securing is fundamental to any trained officer," the statement says, "and is so basic that it must have been that the defendant McCuen was not operating in any thoughtful manner."

It further states by not following police policy on the safe storage of firearms his actions were willful, reckless, dangerous and negligent.http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/Suit-filed-against-Attorney-General-RCMP-officer--368684831.html

I'm stupefied a bit. If it was as they say in the lawsuit it's hard to imagine the Officer not being charged. Certainly if it was you or me who left a firearm on the backseat of our car and this happened we would be charged. Were the Officer charged I'm pretty sure putting his name in google would find many articles saying that.

If the lawsuit is wrong and the firearm was properly secured in the manner described by Clement in post 10 the thug wouldn't have been able to steal it very easily and something would have been put out in a news release.

Things don't add up IMO.

Anapeg
02-17-2016, 10:40 PM
At the very least "Careless storage of a firearm", with possible reckless endangerment.