PDA

View Full Version : You Know How You Can tell When a Person Isn't a Good Christian?

RWGR
02-25-2016, 03:12 PM
When they feel the need to tell everyone what a good Christian they are.

Bluesky
02-25-2016, 03:40 PM
True dat.

Hans
02-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Sometimes speech is better than silence.

Barry Morris
02-25-2016, 06:38 PM
American politicians seem to be the worst at that.

Barry Morris
02-26-2016, 09:14 AM
Sometimes speech is better than silence.

True also.

1 Peter 3:15
"..but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;"

RWGR
02-26-2016, 09:27 AM
American politicians seem to be the worst at that.

Well, you see more of them, because there more of them.

But it's amazing, you don't have to go far form our little corner of the world to see the pseudo-Christians.

Not far at all.

RWGR
02-26-2016, 09:28 AM
True also.

1 Peter 3:15
"..but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;"

"a defense to everyone who asks"

Not, 'beat them over the head with your holier-than-thou pronouncements and examples of how great a Christian you are'.

Barry Morris
02-26-2016, 09:59 AM
"a defense to everyone who asks"

Not, 'beat them over the head with your holier-than-thou pronouncements and examples of how great a Christian you are'.

Source?? Link??

:) :) :)

RWGR
02-26-2016, 10:03 AM
See above

Barry Morris
02-26-2016, 11:49 AM
See above

Sure.

One thing about Christians, they know that ultimately, they answer to God, not their fellow man.

RWGR
02-26-2016, 12:37 PM
If you kept that in mind more often you might be less unpopular here

Barry Morris
02-26-2016, 12:49 PM
I don't mind in the least being unpopular with keyboard warriors!!!

Odd how there's no evidence of anyone saying "how great a Christian they are", but lots about winning, liking the studio and drinking!!

Barry Morris
02-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Never felt the need, does that make me a good Christian? :)

Don't ask me, ask God!!!

Barry Morris
02-27-2016, 11:59 PM
But Christianity is a man made idea.

If you believe that, you have way more faith than I will ever have!!!

Barry Morris
02-28-2016, 09:25 AM
I don't know if there is a god, many gods or no god. I do know there are many differing ideas about God and many religions. Each of those was created by man, whether inspired by a true God, a desire to control people or some other reason I have no way of knowing.

To believe that you have chosen, or had chosen for you due to your location and upbringing, which one of those ideas/religions is the truth requires much more faith than I have I would say.

I'm quite confident that I don't know, and have no way of knowing, if there is a God and if so which religious teaching, if any, is the correct one. I have faith that by living within the boundaries we have created for ourselves I'll be alright if there is more to come once I cease life as we know it.

I don't have enough faith to believe that something comes from nothing. That's my bottom line. As to religious rules, Jesus said it right. Love God, love your neighbor. It's good to get the second part right, but I don't believe it's quite enough.

Barry Morris
02-28-2016, 11:45 AM
You don't have enough faith to believe something came from nothing but you have enough faith to believe what your man made religion has told you. You have more faith than I.

Well, let's get specific. Just what do you think I have believed from my man made religion, that you reject??

Barry Morris
02-28-2016, 04:23 PM
I'm afraid you read me wrong.

I have a PROBABLE belief in the bible, perhaps 99 percent, and there are several theological issues that I think the church I attend has gotten quite wrong.

My BASIC belief is that the something we call this universe had a source. Intelligent design is one way to describe it. Furthermore, what I might have trouble believing is not a problem, because I simply trust God where my understanding is limited.

My ULTIMATE, 100 percent belief is that we came from SOMETHING, not nothing.

I really think that rejection is your thing. Not the same as not knowing, because simple logic tells me that reality had to come from something.

RWGR
02-29-2016, 09:06 AM
I'm afraid you read me wrong.

I have a PROBABLE belief in the bible, perhaps 99 percent, and there are several theological issues that I think the church I attend has gotten quite wrong.

Jesus told His disciples He would send the Holy Spirit to keep them from error. In Barry's Bible the next sentence goes like this: "Then He whispered to Andrew "Listen, the Spirit's infallibility rate is only 62%, so be careful when discerning if you should hit or stay at a blackjack table once I invent Las Vegas"

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Jesus told His disciples He would send the Holy Spirit to keep them from error. ..[/B]

Bible reference please.

Barney Rubble
02-29-2016, 11:55 AM
I have a PROBABLE belief in the bible

Probable belief?
Please tell me you believe in John 1 & 1 Timothy 2:5 ?

RWGR
02-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Bible reference please.

Are you serious?????

RWGR
02-29-2016, 12:32 PM
John 14:15-17 New International Version (NIV)

15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[a] in you.

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Probable belief?
Please tell me you believe in John 1 & 1 Timothy 2:5 ?

Absolutely.

But there are many bible passages that are NEVER discussed in Christian circles, because of our biases and traditions.

It's those areas I have a problem with, mostly.

And what I don't understand, I trust God with.

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 12:34 PM
John 14:15-17 New International Version (NIV)

15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[a] in you.

I didn't think you could provide a direct quote for your words, "Jesus told His disciples He would send the Holy Spirit to keep them from error"

RWGR
02-29-2016, 12:42 PM
LOL, Barry did not know that passage existed.

How any Christian here can take him seriously anymore is beyond me.

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 12:55 PM
LOL, Barry did not know that passage existed.

How any Christian here can take him seriously anymore is beyond me.

You don't know concordances exist. So, when you "quote" some verse by inserting your own interpretation, and use words that just aren't there, NOBODY can find it!!!!

But that's probably the way you like it.

Did your magisterium "interpret" that for you??

RWGR
02-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Lashing out in anger, as you should be.

The curtain has been pulled back, bud. Everyone sees you for who you really are.

Game over.

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 04:44 PM
Lashing out in anger, as you should be.

The curtain has been pulled back, bud. Everyone sees you for who you really are.

Game over.

Good luck with that!!! :) :) :)

RWGR
02-29-2016, 05:22 PM
The denial stage ramps up for BM!!

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 08:21 PM
The denial stage ramps up for BM!!

Ya know, if people disagree with me, I don't NEED for them to be angry.

Why do you??

Let us know when you find that passage you quoted.

RWGR
03-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Found it. Posted it.

You didn't know the passage existed.

It's more you losing than me winning.

Barry Morris
03-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Found it. Posted it.

You didn't know the passage existed.

It's more you losing than me winning.

When I post a passage of scripture, I try to post it in such a way that one can tell where it came from.

You said, "Jesus told His disciples He would send the Holy Spirit to keep them from error."

Can't seem to find that. You DID post something LIKE it, oddly enough from a bible you don't use as an RC, so obviously you got it off line. As to whether I knew THAT passage existed, don't be silly.

So, don't expect any serious consideration of nonsense like that.

RWGR
03-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Anyone with a mediocre amount of biblical knowledge knew which passage I meant. You didn't, because you cherry pick which passages to study and read. And why do you do that? Because it serves your Cafeteria Christianity well.

RWGR
03-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Can't seem to find that. You DID post something LIKE it, oddly enough from a bible you don't use as an RC,

Buddy, we created the Bible, so they are all ours in one way, shape, or form!! :) :) :)

Bluesky
03-01-2016, 04:56 PM
Just curious RWGR, does any Roman Catholic theologian or scholar use the terminology you do i.e. "we created the Bible"?

Seems to me that even if one grants that a Catholic council decided which books belonged to the Canon, different terminology would be more appropriate. To say the RCC created the Bible is to rob its Divine author his rightful due. Wouldn't you agree?

Hans
03-01-2016, 08:17 PM
But truth is it was created by humans, and written by humans. The end product is a book that is a collection of other books.
I don't see anything Divine in any of it to be honest.

Bluesky
03-01-2016, 10:25 PM
It is your prerogative to believe that, Hans. I was stating not only what I believe, but what the Bible claims for itself.

Hans
03-01-2016, 11:48 PM
The problem I have with the Bible making a claim is how it can make that claim when it has to thank it's existence on human organization?

Barney Rubble
03-02-2016, 02:58 AM
Human organization?

The Bible was written over a span of 1500 years, by 40 writers.
The Bible reads as a factual news account of real events, places & people.
Historians and archaeologists have repeatedly confirmed its authenticity.
And throughout all this, There is one central message consistently (organization in content) carried by all 40 writers of the Bible: God, who created us all, desires a relationship with man.
Having a large span of time & multiple authors & still maintaining that central theme is none other in any other religious book or any book for that matter.
BTW...at ROM, in Toronto, there are pages of The Book Of Ester.
When they found these scrolls, they proved that the ancient writers were true to their case in translation and were not doctoring forged text.

Bluesky
03-02-2016, 05:40 AM
Well, it did require some organization - and that process is what we call canonization.

How the Old TEstament was 'organized' is lost in history, but we know that somewhere before the birth of Christ, the Old Testament was collated and regarded as a complete collection of books.

But to the topic, Hans. You do not believe in the existence of God, so you would not give any credence to our belief that God led the authors of the various books of the Bible to write what they did, nor would you believe that God was the influence behind the canonization process. I get that.

Are you looking for more info about what it is that Bible adherents believe, or did you just want to state your diisagreement?

Hans
03-02-2016, 06:08 AM
Just a statement of disagreement, and that goes for any major religious book.

RWGR
03-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Just curious RWGR, does any Roman Catholic theologian or scholar use the terminology you do i.e. "we created the Bible"?

Seems to me that even if one grants that a Catholic council decided which books belonged to the Canon, different terminology would be more appropriate. To say the RCC created the Bible is to rob its Divine author his rightful due. Wouldn't you agree?

Absolutely, but when I picture BM banging his head off the table everytime he reads it, well, i just can't help myself :)

Barry Morris
03-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Absolutely, but when I picture BM banging his head off the table everytime he reads it, well, i just can't help myself :)

You have this need to have people frustrated and angry with you. Seems to be your problem.

However, you WILL need to source and link the claim you have "absolutely" just made.

Thank you.

RWGR
03-02-2016, 09:34 AM
You're angry, it's understandable.

Barry Morris
03-02-2016, 09:51 AM
You're angry, it's understandable.

:)...