PDA

View Full Version : Did Spotlight really deserve that?

Bluesky
02-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Not meaning to detract at all from the problem that Spotlight highlighted, but do you believe that this film deserved the Best Picture Award??

RWGR
02-29-2016, 09:44 AM
You watch The Oscars???

IMHO
02-29-2016, 09:46 AM
I thought most folks had better things to do than watch the Oscars...watching paint dry is real excitement compared to the Oscars.

The Chronic Liar
02-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Leo's lecture on climate change was a real eye opener. He wrote the speech while trying to pick which of his 50 cars he would drive to the Oscars.

I hate when actors get political in their speeches. Rarely to they practice anything that they preach.

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 11:56 AM
.... Rarely to they practice anything that they preach.

How would you ever know??

The Chronic Liar
02-29-2016, 12:13 PM
How would you ever know??

I am a TMZ pro subscriber

RWGR
02-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Leo's lecture on climate change was a real eye opener. He wrote the speech while trying to pick which of his 50 cars he would drive to the Oscars.

I hate when actors get political in their speeches. Rarely to they practice anything that they preach.

I loved when Leo used his massive private jet to fly all over the world so he could tell us our carbon footprint is too big

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 02:00 PM
I loved when Leo used his massive private jet to fly all over the world so he could tell us our carbon footprint is too big

Hey, time is money!!

Not yours, of course!!

IMHO
02-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Keep in mind highly paid actors live in a different world than we do. Sometimes I think they were born with a silver spoon in both *******s.

RWGR
02-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Hey, time is money!!

Not yours, of course!!

Someone's angry.

Someone should be.

:) :) :)

The Chronic Liar
02-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Hey, time is money!!

Not yours, of course!!

Yes time is money and I have no problem with him taking a private jet but if you do then don't stand up in front of millions of people and tell them not to run their car to warm it up.

_daynzy
02-29-2016, 09:02 PM
Yes time is money and I have no problem with him taking a private jet but if you do then don't stand up in front of millions of people and tell them not to run their car to warm it up.

I let my truck idle 10x longer just to make up for those that don't.

Barry Morris
02-29-2016, 09:23 PM
I let my truck idle 10x longer just to make up for those that don't.

You'll wear it out prematurely if you do!!!

Hans
02-29-2016, 09:41 PM
Not meaning to detract at all from the problem that Spotlight highlighted, but do you believe that this film deserved the Best Picture Award??

I never even heard of it, so I would say it deserves very little.

Bluesky
03-01-2016, 09:14 AM
OK, well that thread bombed. Yeah, RWGR, for once I watched the Oscars (yawn). I was interested to hear what Chris Rock would say.

The Chronic Liar
03-01-2016, 09:17 AM
OK, well that thread bombed. Yeah, RWGR, for once I watched the Oscars (yawn). I was interested to hear what Chris Rock would say.

And what did you think of what Chris Rock said.

Bluesky
03-01-2016, 09:25 AM
I have no way of knowing whether black actors are not being chosen for an Oscar due to discrimination or lack of merit. With Whoopi Goldberg and others of colour on the committee that decides on these awards, I find the whole issue somewhat dubious.

The Chronic Liar
03-01-2016, 09:36 AM
I have no way of knowing whether black actors are not being chosen for an Oscar due to discrimination or lack of merit. With Whoopi Goldberg and others of colour on the committee that decides on these awards, I find the whole issue somewhat dubious.

There are 6000 members so you will have to do better than Whoopi Goldberg and others. How many?

Bluesky
03-01-2016, 10:07 AM
Wow. I did not know there were that many. I am not making any claims, so no, I don't have to do better. I will sit on the fence on this one. Perhaps you have more info than I do. Enlighten me.

The Chronic Liar
03-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Wow. I did not know there were that many. I am not making any claims, so no, I don't have to do better. I will sit on the fence on this one. Perhaps you have more info than I do. Enlighten me.

2% black membership. Clearly not enough to diversify the Oscars if the rest if them are as racist as people think they are. But my opinion is that they are not racist and there are other factors that lead to low nominee numbers.

IMHO
03-01-2016, 11:47 AM
Is it not possible that there were no worthy black candidates ???

Bluesky
03-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Of course it is possible.

_daynzy
03-01-2016, 06:30 PM
You'll wear it out prematurely if you do!!!

With 380000k and 15 years old, I'm sure I will.

Anapeg
03-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Is it not possible that Hollywood and whatever self-gratifying, pat one another on the back, worthless come on this is over may be simply more self-promotion by the people associated? These are, after all, the same people who say, "There is no such thing as bad publicity"? The fan base has had very little to draw their attention and perhaps numbers are dropping. Nothing like a little self-induced racial tension to get the numbers up, eh?

Barry Morris
03-01-2016, 08:20 PM
With 380000k and 15 years old, I'm sure I will.

I have owned cars with self starters, used to warm them up out in the parking lot at night.

Engines burned oil lots, with less than half that mileage.

So keep it in mind, if you ever buy new, and hope to keep it that long. Keep the idling to a minimum.

Bluesky
03-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Guys, you're way off topic.

Barry Morris
03-01-2016, 11:38 PM
Guys, you're way off topic.

Oh?? Since the first two posts were off, I really didn't think you cared.

The Chronic Liar
03-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Is it not possible that Hollywood and whatever self-gratifying, pat one another on the back, worthless come on this is over may be simply more self-promotion by the people associated? These are, after all, the same people who say, "There is no such thing as bad publicity"? The fan base has had very little to draw their attention and perhaps numbers are dropping. Nothing like a little self-induced racial tension to get the numbers up, eh?

I think there are too many members to pull off the publicity thing. I think it just comes down to the fact that the ratio of meaningful roles between whites and minorities is pretty big so it makes sense that the corresponding awards will reflect that.

Of course the media will exploit this and blame the Academy for racism but the Academy doesn't choose who get what roles. It's big business.

Bluesky
03-02-2016, 11:30 AM
It's big business.

Bingo.

RWGR
03-02-2016, 11:32 AM
I can't stand to watch those insufferable egoists slap each other on the back for hours on end. The Academy Awards are a blight on mankind.

My daughter loves San Diego, San Jose, and San Francisco, and hates L.A. She says the plastic feel of the city and people is overwhelming.

Bluesky
03-02-2016, 11:55 AM
I can't stand to watch those insufferable egoists slap each other on the back for hours on end.

I'll bet the back-slappers can't stand it either. Because after awhile, it must feel empty and vain to them as well.

The Chronic Liar
03-02-2016, 12:15 PM
I'll bet the back-slappers can't stand it either. Because after awhile, it must feel empty and vain to them as well.

I'm pretty sure every single person in Hollywood is on drugs or has a drinking problem. That tells you something.

Barry Morris
03-04-2016, 02:07 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1895587/synopsis?ref_=ttpl_pl_syn

A synopsis of the complete movie: about the RCC sex scandal.

Very interesting. Sad.

RWGR
03-04-2016, 02:09 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1895587/synopsis?ref_=ttpl_pl_syn

A synopsis of the complete movie: about the RCC sex scandal.

Very interesting. Sad.

Now if they'd only make a movie about a place where the sexual abuse numbers are actually higher: Protestantism.

Barry Morris
03-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Now if they'd only make a movie about a place where the sexual abuse numbers are actually higher: Protestantism.

I would have no problem with a group like Spotlight looking into problems like this.

Bluesky
03-04-2016, 02:48 PM
If the problems are being dealt with openly, I see no need to make a movie for the purpose of inflaming further outrage and for entertainment value.

RWGR
03-04-2016, 02:51 PM
It's that SNAP group, they are vile.

Barry Morris
03-04-2016, 07:43 PM
It's that SNAP group, they are vile.

They are mentioned here.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1895587/...f_=ttpl_pl_syn

Vile?? Certainly regarded so by those accused. I'm not so sure.

Barry Morris
03-04-2016, 07:44 PM
If the problems are being dealt with openly, I see no need to make a movie for the purpose of inflaming further outrage and for entertainment value.

Hollywood is about money.

RWGR
03-05-2016, 11:58 AM
They are mentioned here.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1895587/...f_=ttpl_pl_syn

Vile?? Certainly regarded so by those accused. I'm not so sure.

What do you think of Billy Graham's grandson?

The Christian mission field is a “magnet” for sexual abusers, Boz Tchividjian, a Liberty University law professor who investigates abuse said Thursday (Sept. 26) to a room of journalists.

While comparing evangelicals to Catholics on abuse response, ”I think we are worse,” he said at the Religion Newswriters Association conference, saying too many evangelicals had “sacrificed the souls” of young victims.

“Protestants can be very arrogant when pointing to Catholics,” said Tchividjian, a grandson of evangelist Billy Graham and executive director of Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment (GRACE), which has investigated sex abuse allegations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/protestant-sex-abuse-boz-tchividijian_n_4019347.html

Barry Morris
03-05-2016, 03:27 PM
What do you think of Billy Graham's grandson?

The Christian mission field is a “magnet” for sexual abusers, Boz Tchividjian, a Liberty University law professor who investigates abuse said Thursday (Sept. 26) to a room of journalists.

While comparing evangelicals to Catholics on abuse response, ”I think we are worse,” he said at the Religion Newswriters Association conference, saying too many evangelicals had “sacrificed the souls” of young victims.

“Protestants can be very arrogant when pointing to Catholics,” said Tchividjian, a grandson of evangelist Billy Graham and executive director of Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment (GRACE), which has investigated sex abuse allegations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/protestant-sex-abuse-boz-tchividijian_n_4019347.html

Yes, yes we know all that. Those who engage in these activities, which appear to be more widespread in Protestant circles because of the apparently much larger lay involvement should be removed and prosecuted. AND anyone who attempts to cover up these things, who goes as far as to swear children to secrecy, should have the biblical millstone tied to their necks, and thrown into the sea.

Any sub-culture of our society has those guilty of sexually abusing children. Some seem to have worked harder and longer to cover up the problem.

RWGR
03-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Agreed, and Graham's grandson isn't afraid to admit who covers it up the 'best'.

Barry Morris
03-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Agreed, and Graham's grandson isn't afraid to admit who covers it up the 'best'.

You would have to prove that, and I'm very sure you'd have a very difficult time, seeing as the Protestants don't typically have a hierarchy in place to move people around when they fall, AND most Protestant churches vet and approve their OWN pastors, whose background they research themselves.

RWGR
03-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Sorry, your lies simply cannot stand

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/23/315129859/sex-abuse-allegations-getting-protestant-churches-to-come-clean

Jenkins said there has been no formal study comparing denominations for rates of child abuse. However, insurers have been assessing the risks since they began offering riders on liability policies in the 1980s. Two of the largest insurers report no higher risks in covering Catholic churches than Protestant denominations.

Wisconsin-based Church Mutual Insurance Co. has 100,000 client churches and has seen a steady filing of about five sexual molestation cases a week for more than a decade, even though its client base has grown.

“It would be incorrect to call it a Catholic problem,” said Church Mutual’s risk control manager, Rick Schaber. “We do not see one denomination above another. It’s equal. It’s also equal among large metropolitan churches and small rural churches.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/hark/2010/05/25/scandal-creates-contempt-for-catholic-clergy/39/

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/12/evangelical_church_accused_of_ignoring_sexual_abus e_pedophilia_ring_partner/

Barry Morris
03-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Big word there, lies. Total BS, as usual.

Your post says nothing, as usual, just a rag flapping in the breeze yet again, words that carefully avoid the points I make, especially about hierarchy, and lay people.

But thanks for this: "Wisconsin-based Church Mutual Insurance Co. has 100,000 client churches and has seen a steady filing of about five sexual molestation cases a week for more than a decade, even though its client base has grown." So, more church customers, yet the same level of troubles. Good, glad to hear it.

RWGR
03-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Sorry you knew nothing of the scope and extent of the Protestant abuse problem.

The Chronic Liar
03-07-2016, 11:03 AM
You would have to prove that, and I'm very sure you'd have a very difficult time, seeing as the Protestants don't typically have a hierarchy in place to move people around when they fall, AND most Protestant churches vet and approve their OWN pastors, whose background they research themselves.

I don't know why people think moving priests around to cover up abuse is the worst thing in the world. I'd be more concerned about the other ways people cover up abuse. I don't buy the whole hierarchy thing as making things worse.

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 11:30 AM
I don't know why people think moving priests around to cover up abuse is the worst thing in the world. I'd be more concerned about the other ways people cover up abuse. I don't buy the whole hierarchy thing as making things worse.

Think about it. Most evangelical churches vet their own pastors. Those people are NOT foisted on us by a hierarchy, with no input from the congregation.

We usually set up a pastoral committee. They look around, and denominational headquarters, and often into other denominations to see if there are any interested candidates for the job. Usually someone from a church, a couple, will visit the candidates church secretly, to hear him preach. They will gather and check references. If the person seems suitable, he is contacted, and asked if he is interested. He will then visit us, and we will have a meeting, bouncing questions back and forth. If all is well, he will be offered a job, with a contract.

Many churches with a hierarchy just send someone and the church is stuck with him. And nobody knows his history.

If that hierarchy KNOWS the man is an abuser, they should most certainly inform the church. Let the local church decide if they can handle the situation, and perhaps take precautions.

When they don't, it leaves the door wide open for an abuser to ruin more lives, and THAT is where the greater sin lies.

RWGR
03-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Think about it. Most evangelical churches vet their own pastors. Those people are NOT foisted on us by a hierarchy, with no input from the congregation.

You just illustrated an hierarchy on a smaller scale. And obviously they are quite good at cover-ups

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 01:37 PM
You just illustrated an hierarchy on a smaller scale. And obviously they are quite good at cover-ups

Now you're really stretching!!!

It's a church, remember?? Can't get much smaller than the church congregation directly approving a pastor/teacher!!

And no, abuse such as you mention CANNOT be hidden by the guy simply being moved to the next place.

RWGR
03-07-2016, 02:08 PM
So you are claiming there is no hierarchical structure in Protestant churches?

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 02:46 PM
So you are claiming there is no hierarchical structure in Protestant churches?

Nope, I'm claiming that your habit of lumping all Protestant churches into one basket shows your ignorance about their actual form of governance.

BTW, you would call this "moving the goalposts", I believe!!

RWGR
03-07-2016, 03:02 PM
So you agree their is hierarchical form in many Protestant churches.

See how fast I get BM to contradict himself?

It's fun! :) :) :)

The Chronic Liar
03-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Nope, I'm claiming that your habit of lumping all Protestant churches into one basket shows your ignorance about their actual form of governance.

BTW, you would call this "moving the goalposts", I believe!!

The hierarchy has little to do with anything.

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 03:11 PM
So you agree their is hierarchical form in many Protestant churches.

See how fast I get BM to contradict himself?

It's fun! :) :) :)

Love the way you say nothing!!!

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 03:11 PM
The hierarchy has little to do with anything.

Even if they are the ones who move around abusing priests??

The Chronic Liar
03-07-2016, 03:31 PM
Even if they are the ones who move around abusing priests??

You don't think that a lack of hierarchy can do the exact same thing? Kick one pastor, sunday school teacher, deacon, etc out without going to authorities and then allowing that person to go somewhere with no connection to your church? At least there is a nice paper trail with the RCC. They can move the priest to the next church and he will abuse again. The pastor who convinces a kid that they are bad, their parents are bad will also abuse again. You can take any societal structure where adults are given that much power over children and you will have this issue. The RCC took the brunt of it because of that hierarchy and because they have one face that people can throw all their frustrations at.

RWGR
03-07-2016, 03:43 PM
This should be a wake-up call for all Christians in Britain. It is time for Protestants who have complacently dismissed church abuse as a “Catholic problem” to face the reality that abuse is endemic across denominations. As a Christian, and as someone who writes and teaches about religion and sexuality, I have heard far more stories of sexual abuse than I can count – along with stories of cover-ups, sexist responses, victim-blaming and repeated failures to take allegations seriously.

In terms of abuse in British churches, the 1,885 cases announced by the Methodists are undoubtedly the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/29/protestants-abuse-catholics-methodist-church

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 03:58 PM
You don't think that a lack of hierarchy can do the exact same thing? Kick one pastor, sunday school teacher, deacon, etc out without going to authorities and then allowing that person to go somewhere with no connection to your church? At least there is a nice paper trail with the RCC. They can move the priest to the next church and he will abuse again. The pastor who convinces a kid that they are bad, their parents are bad will also abuse again. You can take any societal structure where adults are given that much power over children and you will have this issue. The RCC took the brunt of it because of that hierarchy and because they have one face that people can throw all their frustrations at.

You think a pastor can jump from church to church without references??? That's just silly.

Easier I suppose for the Sunday school teacher, or deacon, or child worker, but I don't know of a single case where a church has just kept quiet without calling in the authorities. What a way to get yourself sued completely out of business!!! Not to mention the backlash from your congregation. No, our local leaders handle it, and there is no hierarchy to hide the abuser somewhere else.

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 04:02 PM
This should be a wake-up call for all Christians in Britain. It is time for Protestants who have complacently dismissed church abuse as a “Catholic problem” to face the reality that abuse is endemic across denominations. As a Christian, and as someone who writes and teaches about religion and sexuality, I have heard far more stories of sexual abuse than I can count – along with stories of cover-ups, sexist responses, victim-blaming and repeated failures to take allegations seriously.

In terms of abuse in British churches, the 1,885 cases announced by the Methodists are undoubtedly the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/29/protestants-abuse-catholics-methodist-church

Love the way you keep moving the goalposts. The condemnation of large churches has never been about the abusers, it's been about the coverups.

EVERY walk of life, where children are involved, has abusers. Churches are no exception.

Direct question. Does YOUR church have a "Plan to Protect"??? Many local congregations use a similar plan, with police checks on everyone involved with children and other systems involved for their protection.

Of course, it's easier in dying churches with no children.

RWGR
03-07-2016, 04:18 PM
So your future does not look bright. Sad to hear.

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 06:10 PM
So your future does not look bright. Sad to hear.

From you, that is absolutely hilarious!!!

Talk about off the wall!!!

The Chronic Liar
03-07-2016, 06:12 PM
You think a pastor can jump from church to church without references??? That's just silly.

Easier I suppose for the Sunday school teacher, or deacon, or child worker, but I don't know of a single case where a church has just kept quiet without calling in the authorities. What a way to get yourself sued completely out of business!!! Not to mention the backlash from your congregation. No, our local leaders handle it, and there is no hierarchy to hide the abuser somewhere else.

I had a long answer written but first wanted to know whether or not you think abuse is more prevelant in Catholic churches than protestant or boys scouts or teachers or coaches ..

The Chronic Liar
03-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Cover ups aside. I'm talking actual cases of abuse.

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 06:19 PM
I had a long answer written but first wanted to know whether or not you think abuse is more prevelant in Catholic churches than protestant or boys scouts or teachers or coaches ..

No, I do not. I believe that every sub-culture has it's problems with this issue, probably on very similar levels.

Coverups aside.

And I believe the larger the hierarchy, with a very broad control, the more possibility of a coverup.

Bluesky
03-07-2016, 06:23 PM

Be advised that it does happen. I have known a few situations where references were given, but in most cases, the references given are completely useless because they will always be friends of the applicant. Most of the time I will ask references for other names. Or I will snoop and find former acquaintances who knew the applicant and worked with him/her.

I have done many interviews in my line of work. Believe me, MOST references are worthless. And most resumes are padded. Call me jaded. Yes even in the church world.

The Chronic Liar
03-07-2016, 06:28 PM
No, I do not. I believe that every sub-culture has it's problems with this issue, probably on very similar levels.

Coverups aside.

And I believe the larger the hierarchy, with a very broad control, the more possibility of a coverup.

Ok then why does an organization with a hierarchy have similar numbers than those without one? Shouldn't they have way more cases of abuse if they have a hierarchy that allows them to move from church to church?

RWGR
03-07-2016, 07:02 PM
From you, that is absolutely hilarious!!!

Talk about off the wall!!!

You need to keep your anger in check, else it throw another thread off the rails.

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 10:57 PM
You need to keep your anger in check, else it throw another thread off the rails.

News item.

Laughing does not equal anger.

"There is a story they tell of two dogs…
Both at separate times walk into the same room.
One comes out wagging his tail while the other comes out growling.
A woman watching this goes into the room to see what could possibly make one dog so happy and the other so mad.
To her surprise she finds a room filled with mirrors.
The happy dog found a thousand happy dogs looking back at him while the angry dog found a thousand dogs growling back at him.
What you see in the world around you is a reflection of who you are."

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Ok then why does an organization with a hierarchy have similar numbers than those without one? Shouldn't they have way more cases of abuse if they have a hierarchy that allows them to move from church to church?

I don't know the numbers any more than you do.

If a hierarchy moved abusers from place to place, then you might think there would be more abuse.

On the other hand, as far as I can tell, Protestant numbers include lay people.

How can that be figured out?? I don't have an answer.

Barry Morris
03-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Be advised that it does happen. I have known a few situations where references were given, but in most cases, the references given are completely useless because they will always be friends of the applicant. Most of the time I will ask references for other names. Or I will snoop and find former acquaintances who knew the applicant and worked with him/her.

I have done many interviews in my line of work. Believe me, MOST references are worthless. And most resumes are padded. Call me jaded. Yes even in the church world.

So, I hope the interview methods used by your church can overcome this. And even a sometimes flawed system is better than none even being allowed.

Most people are afraid to give bad references, because of their own (misguided?) ideals or even for legal reasons (slander, libel).

The simple, easily answered, perfectly legal question to anyone regarding a former employee is this: "Would you hire him back?

RWGR
03-08-2016, 05:20 PM
And when the answer is "NO!!" the next best thing to do is start your own business.

Barry Morris
03-08-2016, 10:04 PM
And when the answer is "NO!!" the next best thing to do is start your own business.

Rarely.

And of course, nothing to do with what we are speaking about.

In other words, a typical slam.

RWGR
03-14-2016, 12:11 PM
What happened to ignoring me??

Hans
03-14-2016, 08:15 PM
I believe a good Christian does not break his/her promises. I could be wrong of course.

Barry Morris
03-14-2016, 09:04 PM
I believe a good Christian does not break his/her promises. I could be wrong of course.

Absolutely right.

So now, Mr. Moderator, you are attacking too. Interesting.

Just FYI, you might check just when the above response was made. You'll find it was BEFORE my promise.

The Chronic Liar
03-14-2016, 09:11 PM
Barry please use the vast English language to find a word other than attacked.

Barry Morris
03-14-2016, 09:13 PM
Barry please use the vast English language to find a word other than attacked.

Hmmm. What would you suggest??

The Chronic Liar
03-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Hmmm. What would you suggest??

Slight?

The Chronic Liar
03-14-2016, 09:17 PM
Light barb?

The Chronic Liar
03-14-2016, 09:17 PM
Subtle jab?

Barry Morris
03-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Here, let me help

onslaught
afflict
flak
blast
criticise
judge
assail
lash out
snipe
assault
knock
aggress
set on

Love that thesaurus.

The Chronic Liar
03-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Facetious taunt?

Barry Morris
03-14-2016, 09:19 PM
Subtle jab?

Thanks, those are good too.

But a review of my comments will display clearly my level of concern.

The Chronic Liar
03-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Here, let me help

onslaught
afflict
flak
blast
criticise
judge
assail
lash out
snipe
assault
knock
aggress
set on

Love that thesaurus.

I went one step further and provided adjectives. A thesaurus isn't as kind as I am.

The Chronic Liar
03-14-2016, 09:21 PM
Thanks, those are good too.

But a review of my comments will display clearly my level of concern.

A word such as 'attack' leads me to believe not only do you have concern, but that it is of great concern.

Barry Morris
03-14-2016, 09:21 PM
I went one step further and provided adjectives. A thesaurus isn't as kind as I am.

Well done!!

Barry Morris
03-14-2016, 09:22 PM
A word such as 'attack' leads me to believe not only do you have concern, but that it is of great concern.

I see. Sorry about that, I'll keep it in mind.

The Chronic Liar
03-14-2016, 09:23 PM
I see. Sorry about that, I'll keep it in mind.

Sounds good. Now where were we?

Hans
03-14-2016, 09:24 PM
Absolutely right.

So now, Mr. Moderator, you are attacking too. Interesting.

Just FYI, you might check just when the above response was made. You'll find it was BEFORE my promise.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/attack

Barry Morris
03-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Sounds good. Now where were we?

Around abuse and hierarchy and numbers.

The Chronic Liar
03-14-2016, 09:34 PM
Around abuse and hierarchy and numbers.

Ah yes you stated that neither of us could really prove numbers which is true. I think we are at a stand still and need to move it in another direction. I suggest religion of any kind has no clear connection and that humans in general often try to hide their negative traits.

Barry Morris
03-14-2016, 09:37 PM
What do you mean by "clear connection"??

The Chronic Liar
03-14-2016, 09:41 PM
What do you mean by "clear connection"??

That religion itself does not cause one to abuse children.

Barry Morris
03-14-2016, 09:49 PM
That religion itself does not cause one to abuse children.

Yes, absolutely right. There are child abusers in all areas where the abuser has access to children.

But, fortunately, most of them DON'T have a hierarchy striving to do ANYTHING to hide the problem!!!

Imagine swearing a child to secrecy, for fear of his soul!! THAT is evil!!!

RWGR
03-16-2016, 12:05 PM
I miss "quite right" in every response.

The Chronic Liar
03-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Yes, absolutely right. There are child abusers in all areas where the abuser has access to children.

But, fortunately, most of them DON'T have a hierarchy striving to do ANYTHING to hide the problem!!!

All abusers do that. That's the whole issue with adults in a position of authority.

RWGR
03-16-2016, 12:21 PM

You missed the links to my Protestant stories linked to that, eh?

The Chronic Liar
03-16-2016, 12:23 PM
You missed the links to my Protestant stories linked to that, eh?

People with no religious affiliation can scare a child into scaring a child like that.