PDA

View Full Version : A discussion

Barry Morris
03-02-2016, 01:22 PM
RWGR is going to define what a cult is for us so we can discuss it!!

RWGR
03-02-2016, 02:07 PM
Oh, look, he's trying to gain friends, and get people to go against me.

so sad, how the not-very-mighty have fallen! :) :) :)

Sorry, BM, but it's too late. :(

Barry Morris
03-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Why do we need someone else to discuss things?
You keep on using terminology, but don't want to define just what you mean.
You want civil discussion or not??

RWGR
03-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Why do we need someone else to discuss things??

Exactly

RWGR
03-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Because Barry subscribes to a lot of anti-Catholic trash, he believes the RCC is a cult. But BM doesn't want to go there.

Whenever he thinks he has a 'gotcha' moment it tends to blow up in his face.

I'm sure this will be no different.

Barry Morris
03-02-2016, 02:53 PM
Actually, in spite of many websites that say the RCC is a cult, and some similar characteristics, I personally do not believe it to be one.

But if you don't wish to discuss it.....them I can only assume you don't know what a cult is.

RWGR
03-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Characteristics of a cult ...

CULT

1. a specific system of religious worship, esp with reference to its rites and deity
2. a sect devoted to such a system
3. a quasi-religious organization using devious psychological techniques to gain and control adherents
4. sociol a group having an exclusive ideology and ritual practices centred on sacred symbols, esp one characterized by lack of organizational structure
5. intense interest in and devotion to a person, idea, or activity: the cult of yoga
6. the person, idea, etc, arousing such devotion
7. a. something regarded as fashionable or significant by a particular group
b. ( as modifier ): a cult show
8. ( modifier ) of, relating to, or characteristic of a cult or cults: a cult figure

I guess if you identify yourself as a Christian you can be accused of being in a cult.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=599567

Look, everyone, another thread blew up in BM's face!

https://media.giphy.com/media/N8zV4WncEqEXC/giphy.gif

Barry Morris
03-02-2016, 03:00 PM
I suppose, as usual, that the only acceptable info site would be a RCC one.

The problem is that I don't subscribe to any of those, yet it would appear your denomination does.

Any comment?? You might be specific as to what you mean when you say I am part of a cult.

RWGR
03-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Look at what a mess the BM created!!

:) :) :)

Bluesky
03-02-2016, 04:23 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3ornk3noLGE88V6xFK/giphy.gif

I have never seen a gif that is more suitable for this place!!

Barry Morris
03-02-2016, 04:41 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3ornk3noLGE88V6xFK/giphy.gif

I have never seen a gif that is more suitable for this place!!

Which one are you??

Barry Morris
03-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Look at what a mess the BM created!!

:) :) :)

There's always questions you can't answer.

Bluesky
03-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Which one are you??

The cat, of course!!

RWGR
03-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Blue is becoming quite adept at gifs.

It is both exhilarating and frightening at the same time.

RWGR
03-02-2016, 05:20 PM
There's always questions you can't answer.

I agree, but they NEVER come from an amateur like you.

It's actually more difficult discussing things with you than with anyone else, because the level to which one must stoop intellectually is a place most of us have not been since childhood.

And I mean that.

Barry Morris
03-02-2016, 05:21 PM
I agree, but they NEVER come from an amateur like you.

It's actually more difficult discussing things with you than with anyone else, because the level to which one must stoop intellectually is a place most of us have not been since childhood.

And I mean that.

Since your best skill is the ban-proof insult, there is actually no way you could tell.

RWGR
03-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Awwww...someone misses his days as a Mod!! :) :) :)

Hans
03-02-2016, 07:42 PM
You guys would have made great gladiators.

RWGR
03-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Ironically enough, I'm dressed like one right now!

Bluesky
03-02-2016, 08:20 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/bb/d8/0a/bbd80a4839d21ae6ac8e5736396be8d6.jpg

Anapeg
03-02-2016, 09:33 PM
{{{ shudder}}}

Hans
03-02-2016, 09:39 PM
http://oi49.tinypic.com/s5bcis.jpg

Barry Morris
03-03-2016, 07:53 AM
"Walk softly, and carry a big stick!" eh Hans??

I like that. You never want to have to shoot twice!!!

Hans
03-03-2016, 08:46 PM
I am a firm believer in doing it right the first time.
I hate people who do a half ass job.

RWGR
03-04-2016, 09:17 AM
"Walk softly, and carry a big stick!" eh Hans??

Quoting a former American president, that had to hurt :) :) :)

Barry Morris
03-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Quoting a former American president, that had to hurt :) :) :)

Not in the least. Think of all the wise, well respected Christian leaders that have come from the USA.

Teddy Roosevelt, a real warrior, and a wise man.

There were some.

dancingqueen
03-07-2016, 10:23 AM

Interneting is hard

cultplay
noun \ˈkəlt\
Popularity: Top 10% of words
Simple Definition of cult
: a small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion and that has beliefs regarded by many people as extreme or dangerous
: a situation in which people admire and care about something or someone very much or too much
: a small group of very devoted supporters or fans

Full Definition of cult
: formal religious veneration : worship
: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
b : the object of such devotion
c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult

RWGR
03-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Barry thought he had another 'gotcha!' moment, but as usual it simply blew up in his face

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Barry thought he had another 'gotcha!' moment, but as usual it simply blew up in his face

Lots of people on the web think of the RCC as a cult. I do not, but just barely.

Central leadership, bible authority diminished, self perpetuating leadership, all dogma defined by that same group, over-riding scripture, insistence that the cult is the only way to heaven.

I'd be a little more selective about "wins" if I were you.

RWGR
03-07-2016, 12:45 PM
Of course uneducated, biased people think the RCC is a cult!

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 01:53 PM
Of course uneducated, biased people think the RCC is a cult!

Just going by common, scholarly descriptions.

RWGR
03-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Of which Christianity would fit the cult description quite nicely.

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 02:49 PM
Of which Christianity would fit the cult description quite nicely.

Nope.

Remember what I posted, if you will even acknowledge it: "Central leadership, bible authority diminished, self perpetuating leadership, all dogma defined by that same group, over-riding scripture, insistence that the cult is the only way to heaven."

RWGR
03-07-2016, 03:00 PM
"Central leadership,

God / Holy Spirit / Jesus

bible authority diminished,

thousands of Protestant denominations, in part because of so many different biblical interpretations. Biblical authority is diminished because man imparts his ways.

self perpetuating leadership

Protestants elect leaders many times

all dogma defined by that same group

Church leadership

over-riding scripture

Luther added words to the Bible, and threw out books that were accepted for 1,200 years

insistence that the cult is the only way to heaven

the only way to Heaven is to say "Yes" to Jesus

RWGR
03-07-2016, 03:00 PM
You're too easy, BM, too easy!! :) :) :)

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 03:20 PM
"Central leadership,

God / Holy Spirit / Jesus OBVIOUSLY NOT THE REFERENCE MADE.

bible authority diminished,

thousands of Protestant denominations, in part because of so many different biblical interpretations. Biblical authority is diminished because man imparts his ways.

AND THE RCC GOES THE STEP FURTHER, BY HAVING THE MAGISTERIUM APPROVE ADDITIONS AND CHANGES TO THE BIBLE.

self perpetuating leadership

Protestants elect leaders many times LUMPING THEM ALL TOGETHER AGAIN, I SEE. MOST EVANGELICAL CHURCHES ELECT THEIR OWN

all dogma defined by that same group

Church leadership

over-riding scripture

Luther added words to the Bible, and threw out books that were accepted for 1,200 years BTDT, NONSENSE.

insistence that the cult is the only way to heaven

the only way to Heaven is to say "Yes" to Jesus BUT IF YOU AREN'T A RC, YOU HAVEN'T GOT A PRAYER, RIGHT??

Have to feel for a people who have no way of knowing if they are quite good enough for God.

RWGR
03-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Sorry, Barry. I understand your anger, but it is what it is

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 03:23 PM
You're too easy, BM, too easy!! :) :) :)

It's a good thing I have many other Catholic friends. Otherwise I would believe that the RCC is a cult.

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Sorry, Barry. I understand your anger, but it is what it is

Check your mirror again!!!

RWGR
03-07-2016, 03:28 PM
It's a good thing I have many other Catholic friends. Otherwise I would believe that the RCC is a cult.

Of course you would, you're ill-informed and have a bias...duh! :) :) :)

dancingqueen
03-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Lots of people on the web think of the RCC as a cult. I do not, but just barely.

Central leadership, bible authority diminished, self perpetuating leadership, all dogma defined by that same group, over-riding scripture, insistence that the cult is the only way to heaven.

I'd be a little more selective about "wins" if I were you.

So you asked for a definition, got a few, then proceeded to make up your own.... that's quite the strawman you have managed to make.

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 06:12 PM
So you asked for a definition, got a few, then proceeded to make up your own.... that's quite the strawman you have managed to make.

That's one way to look at it.

But then I think about the Jehovahs Witness, the Mormons, and other obvious cults with just those characteristics.

dancingqueen
03-07-2016, 09:09 PM
That's one way to look at it.

But then I think about the Jehovahs Witness, the Mormons, and other obvious cults with just those characteristics.

What do you mean by "obvious cults"?
I would be interested in you providing any religious group that does not follow these characteristics....

Barney Rubble
03-07-2016, 09:58 PM
I would think that a cult can be determined as any sect that does not preach the gospel of the One CHRIST but rather proclaims another way to obtain salvation...just my 2 clams!

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 10:54 PM
What do you mean by "obvious cults"?
I would be interested in you providing any religious group that does not follow these characteristics....

I said: "Central leadership, bible authority diminished, self perpetuating leadership, all dogma defined by that same group, over-riding scripture, insistence that the cult is the only way to heaven."

Most baptists (autonomous churches too), most Pentecostals, Bretheren, Salvation Army (some central leadership, but not even considered a church by some), many independent churches, for a start.

Fundamental beliefs are the same in all these groups, belief in the bible, and they don't insist that theirs is the only way. Some have self perpetuating leadership, which is from within their own assembly, but woe betide the church that elevates the wrong people. In most cases, the local people actually own the buildings, so any major schism with any central leadership will result in a new church. So that is very rare.

DQ, you just don't know what is happening.

Barry Morris
03-07-2016, 10:56 PM
I would think that a cult can be determined as any sect that does not preach the gospel of the One CHRIST but rather proclaims another way to obtain salvation...just my 2 clams!

Sometimes I think being seeker sensitive is a good thing.

dancingqueen
03-08-2016, 06:45 AM
I said: "Central leadership, bible authority diminished, self perpetuating leadership, all dogma defined by that same group, over-riding scripture, insistence that the cult is the only way to heaven."

Most baptists (autonomous churches too), most Pentecostals, Bretheren, Salvation Army (some central leadership, but not even considered a church by some), many independent churches, for a start.

Fundamental beliefs are the same in all these groups, belief in the bible, and they don't insist that theirs is the only way. Some have self perpetuating leadership, which is from within their own assembly, but woe betide the church that elevates the wrong people. In most cases, the local people actually own the buildings, so any major schism with any central leadership will result in a new church. So that is very rare.

DQ, you just don't know what is happening.

So you have no answer.....

RWGR
03-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Fundamental beliefs are the same in all these groups, belief in the bible, and they don't insist that theirs is the only way.

You just don't see it, do you?

Christianity believes it is the "only way", therein lies the "cult" designation some people attach to it.

Bluesky
03-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Do you believe that Christianity is the only way, RWGR?

Barry Morris
03-08-2016, 10:07 PM
So you have no answer.....

Me not having an answer, and you not being able to see an answer are totally different things.

Barry Morris
03-08-2016, 10:09 PM
You just don't see it, do you?

Christianity believes it is the "only way", therein lies the "cult" designation some people attach to it.

Those would be non-believers.

We were talking about "in house".

BY the way, were Old Testament Jews ever saved?? How??

RWGR
03-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Do you believe that Christianity is the only way, RWGR?

As a believer in Christ, yes I do.

And I don't believe Christianity is a cult, but others do. And I'm just showing how Barry's sad attempt to paint the RCC as a cult can just as easily be thrown back in his face.

RWGR
03-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Those would be non-believers.

We were talking about "in house".

BY the way, were Old Testament Jews ever saved?? How??

When Jesus descended into Hell (as professed into the Apostle's Creed), what did He go there for? Possibly to save souls who preceded the new and everlasting covenant?

I believe that is why.

Bluesky
03-10-2016, 07:48 PM
An interesting theory. It was commonly held that
a) there were two compartments in Hades, one for the faithful, the other for the lost. The theory is that no disembodied souls would go to heaven until Jesus himself was resurreetd from the dead to secure redemption for the faithful.
b) that Jesus descended into that place where the faithful souls were kept to proclaim redemption for them adn thus leading them to glory. That is based on the following verses in EPhesians

7 But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift. 8 Therefore it says,

“When he ascended on high he led a host of captives,
and he gave gifts to men.”
9 (In saying, “He ascended,” what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower regions, the earth?[b] 10 He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.)

That's the only mention of Jesus descending. Oh wait.. I have to look up something else.
Yeah, look up 1 Peter 3:18-22. What does THAT mean??

I think to base so much on so little is a bit speculative, but if it turned out to be true, that'd be great.