PDA

View Full Version : Preach it, Fulton Sheen

RWGR
03-02-2016, 01:51 PM
“There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
― Fulton J. Sheen

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/content/uploads/2014/03/sheen_thisone.jpg

Barry Morris
03-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Same thing applies to evangelicals.

RWGR
03-02-2016, 04:34 PM
I agree

Bluesky
03-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Hmm. I disagree with both of you. The true church (made up of Protestants, Catholics and all those in between) is hated by the world, and the many millions who reject Jesus Christ. Our Lord even said so.

RWGR
03-02-2016, 06:31 PM
But doesn't that sentiment actually agree with us?

Let's simply change a few words in Sheen's quote:

“There are not one hundred people in the world who hate Christian Believers, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Christian Believers to be.”

RWGR
03-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Oh, I see what you're saying, they actually do hate them.

But I think Sheen is saying no fair and sober-minded person would hate them, because there is no reason to. Their hate is based on prejudice, propaganda, and lies.

Isn't Sheen commenting on the irrationality of the hate, and not actually denying it exists?

Bluesky
03-02-2016, 06:38 PM
No. I don't think so. I believe that when Jesus said "Don't be surprised if the world hates you.. they hated me.." he didn't mean they hate a false perception of me.

I believe that many DO have a false perception, but the hatred does not go away when the true picture is perceived. The way to God is through the atoning work of Christ. When people see that they must confess their sins, they will do everything in their power to provide for their own cover=up (think Adam and Eve - fig leaves).

God provides a proper covering for them (animal skins) which if you want to carry the analogy over to us is the blood of Christ.

There have been and still are many here at Soonet who hate that message. And others who have been liberated by that message.

Bluesky
03-02-2016, 06:43 PM
I think the hatred is very rational. I hate being exposed like bugs under a rock hate suddenly being exposed to the light. It is our sinful nature that responds very rationally to the light of Christ, and unless He extends his grace towards us, we will run for the darkest corner when he shines his light on us.

It is similar to a dog that has been wounded, and we reach towards the dog to help it. But the poor dog by his nature is limited in his understanding and will bite our hand to protect the wound. ANd it doesn't know it will die from the wound if it doesn't allow us to help.