PDA

View Full Version : security certificates

Bluesky
04-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Got a new laptop and trying to set it up. Everywhere I go, it seems, I get a security certificate error. I cannot download the chrome browser. I was able to dl the Firefox browser, but when I tried using that browser, I get the same error at various commonly visited sites. How to I dial back the "paranoia" on this laptop?

I tried dl'ing the Kindle app for PC, and got the same error.
Can someone help?

Hans
04-04-2016, 03:25 PM
What version of OS and what is the exact error message?

I would use windows update and ensure to install all the updates, if you not already have done so.
If it is a HTTPS error instead of a HTTP error make sure you have your browser configured properly.

Bluesky
04-04-2016, 04:32 PM
What version of OS and what is the exact error message?

I would use windows update and ensure to install all the updates, if you not already have done so.
If it is a HTTPS error instead of a HTTP error make sure you have your browser configured properly.

Win 10.
I will update windows first and let you know.

Bluesky
04-04-2016, 04:38 PM
I got the error message, "There were some problems getting updates.. try again later..

Hans
04-04-2016, 04:50 PM
That does not sound promising. Did you upgrade from a previous version of windows to windows 10?

Bluesky
04-04-2016, 05:36 PM
Nope. Just brought it home from Canada Computes, Brand new Asus Laptop

Hans
04-04-2016, 07:29 PM
I assume you have an internet connection working on that laptop?

Bluesky
04-04-2016, 09:32 PM
It was a stupid oversight. The date and time was way off. Had to set that to the right time and date, and everything worked great.