PDA

View Full Version : Spate of suicide attempts leaves Canadian indigenous community reeling

RWGR
04-11-2016, 02:20 PM
In the beleaguered, isolated community of the Ontario First Nation of Attawapiskat, one of the greatest dangers comes from within.

The 2,000-strong indigenous community in the far north of the Canadian province has seen a spate of suicide attempts over the past eight months -- over 100 members, young and old, have tried to take their own lives.

The situation came to a heartbreaking head this weekend, as community leaders in the tiny James Bay town were forced to declare a formal state of emergency after 11 people attempted to kill themselves Saturday.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/11/americas/ontario-attawapiskat-suicide-attempts-state-of-emergency/index.html

Wow, what a heartbreaking and bizarre story

Anapeg
04-11-2016, 03:28 PM
While tragic it is far from new. This has been a blight on many isolated Native communities. Not, I don't recall as viral as this. The Native Council declared years back they wanted self-determination. As well, they want far less interference from the government in general. I am not pointing this out as a reason or explanation of increasing suicide rates. Merely it was an attempt to point out government is somewhat limited In their ability to respond. Even were the government allowed to meddle I don't believe there is much they could do. This is becoming an epidemic . Kids see what we have down here in the south and want similar in their northern homes.

Barry Morris
04-11-2016, 03:44 PM
" Alcoholism mortality rates are 514 percent higher than the general population.
Suicide rates are more than double, and Native teens experience the highest rate
of suicide of any population group in the United States.
Diabetes incidence is 177 percent higher, with the highest rate of type 2 diabetes
of any specific population in the U.STuberculosis incidence is 500 percent higher."
Tuberculosis incidence is 500 percent higher."

RWGR
04-11-2016, 03:45 PM
While tragic it is far from new. This has been a blight on many isolated Native communities. Not, I don't recall as viral as this.

that's what makes it so odd, the sheer collective numbers

The negative side of the power of Facebook, texting, Snapchat ...?

RWGR
04-11-2016, 03:46 PM
" Alcoholism mortality rates are 514 percent higher than the general population.
Suicide rates are more than double, and Native teens experience the highest rate
Diabetes incidence is 177 percent higher, with the highest rate of type 2 diabetes
of any specific population in the U.STuberculosis incidence is 500 percent higher."

Which has nothing to do with the story, and everything to do with your ostrich-like stance now

also, notice no link for BM...again

The Chronic Liar
04-11-2016, 04:45 PM

Tuberculosis has nothing to do with this. You have proven nothing. Tuberculosis is only one way people die and certainly is not the only way people die.

The Chronic Liar
04-11-2016, 04:47 PM
Which has nothing to do with the story, and everything to do with your ostrich-like stance now

also, notice no link for BM...again

He doesn't post links because every time he does he gets completely embarrassed. He doesn't bother to read the whole thing leading to some comical exchanges between him and smart people.

RWGR
04-11-2016, 05:24 PM
He doesn't post links because every time he does he gets completely embarrassed. He doesn't bother to read the whole thing leading to some comical exchanges between him and smart people.

He certainly has become a caricature in here.

A tragic and shocking story like this, and his reaction is basically 'pffft, Natives and First Nations people have it bad everywhere'

Wonder what Christian denomination teaches that as the correct response?

Anapeg
04-11-2016, 05:32 PM
that's what makes it so odd, the sheer collective numbers

The negative side of the power of Facebook, texting, Snapchat ...?

I realize my stance is over simplified. Yet what I typed plus elders wanting to adhere to the old ways causes internal conflict. The kids become confused, angry, frustrated with what they see others enjoying on TV and the computer in juxtaposition with what the elders see as necessary. Add to this drugs, booze, and huffing gas and glue the kids see no reason to get out of bed in the morning. With elders insisting on a subsistence lifestyle, hunting, fishing, etc. Kids want technology, more nightlife, more fun.There is no reason to go on. Their situation will only worsen with age. Ending things seems logical, and to some extent necessary. How does one blend near stone age lifestyle with the 21st century and please both camps? Whoever comes up with a workable recipe ought to go to work on world peace next.

RWGR
04-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Valid points, Anapeg.

Bluesky
04-18-2016, 04:55 PM
Anapeg, I'd be interested in your response to this item.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/07/attawapiskats-financial-mismanagement-is-staggering

KDawg
04-18-2016, 08:33 PM
Deloitte also added, “There is no evidence of due diligence in the use of public funding, including the use of funds for housing.” In other words, in the chief’s initial dispute with Ottawa about 14 months ago, the feds hadn’t shortchanged her reserve. Plenty of tax dollars had been spent. Rather it was impossible to tell where the money had gone.
The point here is that Aboriginal politicians are just as corrupt as Whitey. Actually, as far as Attawapiskat is concerned, I would say far more so.

Anapeg
04-18-2016, 10:35 PM
Anapeg, I'd be interested in your response to this item.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/07/attawapiskats-financial-mismanagement-is-staggering

First, I must apologise for skimming the article. It was, I think discussed on here once prior added to that I have had a long day in someone's attic. Haveing said that; my stance was then as it is today, not another cent until all monies forwarded are accounted for or the Canadian government steps in and goes hands on with maintenance and construction. Natives as a whole and more specifically their councils have wanted self-determination. They have proven incapable of proper maintenance of records as well as complete misrepresentation of authority to oversee large sums. It is wrong-headed and unfair to take a specific group who have had nothing for hundreds of years, make them dependent on a government and then hand over 90 million dollars and not expect them to dot all the "i"s and cross all the "t"s. They will go hog while each and every time. They were given responsibility by the Canadian government all the while hoping the Natives would fail and fail miserably. They did as expected. it was a setup. The government hoped they would be a spectacular hue and cry from the voters. It was short-lived and lacked the hubris the government required to take everything over from all bands and once again, put the Natives in their place. The government ended up with egg on their collective faces.

Anapeg
04-18-2016, 10:39 PM
The point here is that Aboriginal politicians are just as corrupt as Whitey. Actually, as far as Attawapiskat is concerned, I would say far more so.

Corruption knows no nationality as its master. It is universal. Here, in this instance, naivete, innocence (unaware, non-worldly) coupled with corruption to produce a failure of epic proportions.