PDA

View Full Version : Who started this fad?

Bluesky
04-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Who started this trend? I think it's really silly, but I am curious how something like this gets started. ANd is this making some kind of statement? Is this some kind of anti-establishment protest?

https://scstylecaster.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/ripped.jpg

Barry Morris
04-21-2016, 04:06 PM
IMO, no difference than that awful fad of wearing a funny coloured cloth rope around your neck!!

RWGR
04-21-2016, 04:08 PM
That ones old enough that I am starting to see it make a comeback around the secondary schools.

And it is basically, as you said, some type of protest: 'wearing jeans that look nice, or (god forbid) look similar to the jeans my parents wear = conformity, so I'm going to be a rebel and do the opposite'.

That's what I love about these people: in showing how un-conformist they are, they conform to the latest style and fad. That they don't see that is simply the icing on the cake.

And, to see these jeans on someone over thirty...CRINGE-WORTHY

RWGR
04-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Oh, and Blue, the ripped jeans cost more than the non-ripped jeans :)

Bluesky
04-21-2016, 04:24 PM
No kidding!?

Bluesky
04-21-2016, 04:27 PM
IMO, no difference than that awful fad of wearing a funny coloured cloth rope around your neck!!

Of there's a difference. One says establishment, the other says I'm a rebel.

Barry Morris
04-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Of there's a difference. One says establishment, the other says I'm a rebel.

What it SAYS is one thing, the reality another.

Rebels don't follow fads. That's one of the reasons why they are called rebels.

Hans
04-21-2016, 06:45 PM
Who started this trend? I think it's really silly, but I am curious how something like this gets started. ANd is this making some kind of statement? Is this some kind of anti-establishment protest?

So which one is you?

Anapeg
04-21-2016, 06:59 PM
This was a fad of sorts in the 70's brought on by Cher as I recall. Hell, I even had a couple of pairs.

KDawg
04-21-2016, 07:11 PM

When I was younger, I had a pair of jeans that looked like that after I unsuccessfully tried to jump a chain-link fence. I also blew a hole in my underwear after a major bout with gas. I threw out both garments.

Damn, I'm stupid.

The Chronic Liar
04-21-2016, 07:24 PM
What it SAYS is one thing, the reality another.

Rebels don't follow fads. That's one of the reasons why they are called rebels.

Rebels create fads. It's no coincidence a large chunk of young people were all punk or grunge or 80's hairspray. You can map out the rebellions of past times. What starts as rebellion ends up as being the thing that everybody conforms to.

The Chronic Liar
04-21-2016, 07:29 PM
My friend Chachi wears jeans like that.

The Chronic Liar
04-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Just cause you watched Happy Days every day doesn't mean that he is your friend.
You must be old :)

Is that a joke? I don't get it.