PDA

View Full Version : Rodrigo Duterte: From 'Punisher' to Philippines President?

Hans
05-08-2016, 11:32 PM
He's caused outrage with inflammatory comments on the rape and murder of an Australian missionary, but Philippines presidential candidate Rodrigo Duterte has been fighting controversy most of his long political life.

Well-known at home for his provocative quotes and colorful past as mayor of a local town, Duterte is an old hand at courting the local media, and voters, with his antics.

"I was angry she was raped, yes that was one thing. But she was so beautiful, I think the mayor should have been first. What a waste," he said of the attack, which took place in Davao City, where he has been mayor on and off since 1998.

"We were affected by the traffic. It took us five hours. I asked why, they said it was closed. I asked who is coming. They answered, the Pope. I wanted to call him, "Pope, (swear words), go home. Do not visit us again," he said.

With just days left before the presidential election on May 9, the most recent polls show that Duterte has maintained a healthy lead over the other four candidates. "The Punisher" looks well on his way to become President.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/21/asia/philippines-rodrigo-duterte-profile/index.html

See, it works.