PDA

View Full Version : Senate OKs bill to let 9/11 families sue Saudi Arabia

Hans
05-17-2016, 06:42 PM
n a rebuke to the White House, the Senate approved a bill Tuesday to allow victims and families of the 9/11 attacks to sue Saudi Arabia for its alleged involvement in the terrorist strikes.

White House press secretary Josh Earnest renewed the threat that President Barack Obama will veto the bill.
"Yes, as I think I've mentioned before it's given the concerns we've expressed it's difficult to imagine the President signing this legislation and that continues to be true," Earnest told reporters.
The White House and State Department say the bill could have dramatic ramifications for the United States and citizens living abroad to retaliatory lawsuits.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/17/politics/senate-9-11-saudi-arabia-bill/index.html

Why is this an issue?A court is the perfect place to bring out the truth about anything. It is where evidence matters.
To veto this would be a mistake, as it sends the message certain rules do not apply to certain people. Nobody should be immune from being prosecuted if there is enough evidence to open a trial.

Reckidecky
05-19-2016, 07:15 PM
I think the problem for the president and other leaders is the fact the it's opening a whole can of worms where by American leaders could now be susceptible to lawsuits and persecution against them for perpetrating acts of terrorism on people in other countries too. And rightfully so. Libya, Iraq, and Syria come to mind. War is one thing, coupes and proxy wars are quite another. Enough with sending our young people off as canon fodder to foreign countries. Enough of the wealthiest in the world profiting from wars off of he backs of average people. The citizens of the countries previously mentioned are suffering horrendously due to the acts of foreign and domestic governments. What if roles were reversed?

Barry Morris
05-19-2016, 07:27 PM
... The citizens of the countries previously mentioned are suffering horrendously due to the acts of foreign and domestic governments.

Oh, THAT is why RW isn't commenting here.

Hans
05-19-2016, 09:47 PM
I think the problem for the president and other leaders is the fact the it's opening a whole can of worms where by American leaders could now be susceptible to lawsuits and persecution against them for perpetrating acts of terrorism on people in other countries too. And rightfully so. Libya, Iraq, and Syria come to mind. War is one thing, coupes and proxy wars are quite another. Enough with sending our young people off as canon fodder to foreign countries. Enough of the wealthiest in the world profiting from wars off of he backs of average people. The citizens of the countries previously mentioned are suffering horrendously due to the acts of foreign and domestic governments. What if roles were reversed?

The way I understood it there are 28 pages of the 911 commission report that have never been released. There is currently a motion making it's way in the system that would allow these 28 pages to be released. President Obama has already stated that if such motion passes, he will use his veto power to block the release regardless.
Saudi Arabia has stated that if the bill passes they will sell of a large portion of American debt they hold, in protest to this bill.

Many have speculated these 28 pages point towards involvement of Saudi officials with the terrorists that are responsible for the 911 attacks. There seems to be some truth to this as the Saudi's are clearly against releasing these 28 pages.

As far as the actual bill goes, it would not grant immunity to foreign government officials when it comes to links with terrorists or terrorist organization. Right now Saudi Arabia officials cannot be sued because they claim immunity under international law.
I think it only makes sense to release the 28 pages, not keep secrets about 911, and allow families to sue if there is enough evidence against any foreign official. They should not be able to walk away because of "immunity"