PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Spirit

Barney Rubble
05-18-2016, 11:11 AM
This might seem trivial to some but I am very dogmatic about this topic & will not budge NEVER.
What are your thoughts?
I cringe when folks say holy ghost.
It is HOLY SPIRIT.
GOD is a spirit & we are to worship HIM in spirit (not ghost).
They are Christians but I dont think they realize what they are saying (my thoughts).

Remember:

Matthew 12:22–32. Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter” (Mark 3:28), but then He gives one exception: “Whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin” (verse 29).

I am dogmatic that this is a blashemy of The Holy Spirit.
I am not saying that it is damning yet I don't think GOD is well pleased.
Satan's way of fooling GOD fearing Christians into blashemy unknowingly.
Just my thoughts.
Trivial?

Bluesky
05-18-2016, 11:26 AM
I am very dogmatic about this topic & will not budge NEVER.

OK. Would it help for you to know that you are being anachronistic? In other words, you are taking today's concept or definition of ghost, and imposing it on a 17th century word which was quite legitimate at the time. Do you understand what I mean?

You cannot take your definition of the word GHOST from the Ghostbuster movie and insist that is what the King James translation meant. The King James Version (which you quote a lot) uses that word frequently to describe the Holy Spirit. To say this is blasphemy is fallacious.

Here are some King James verses. (there are over 100 occurrences!) So are you saying that those wise men who translated the Scripturews into English were all committing blasphemy?

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

Ghost, in the 17th century and prior simply meant spirit, and was used interchangeably with it. It's called a synonym.

Barney Rubble
05-18-2016, 11:45 AM
I agree with "synonym" but I wonder/ always felt that it was downgrading/belittling & teeter tottering on blashemy.
Still, I cringe when I hear it.
I'm gonna relook my Greek & check the words ghost & spirit.
If the new translations got rid of thee & thou, why did they belittle to ghost rather than spirit?
BTW...Blue, I dont think I'm being anachronistic but rather reverant..just my thoughts

RWGR
05-18-2016, 11:57 AM
I'll repost my answer from yesterday:

I wouldn't get too worked up about that. You're probably thinking "ghost" as our present minds imagine one: some ethereal entity who comes back from the grave. But the etymology of the word "ghost" is taken from the German word for spirit and the Latin word for "supernatural being".

The word fits.

Bluesky
05-18-2016, 01:35 PM
I agree with "synonym" but I wonder/ always felt that it was downgrading/belittling & teeter tottering on blashemy.
Still, I cringe when I hear it.
I'm gonna relook my Greek & check the words ghost & spirit.
If the new translations got rid of thee & thou, why did they belittle to ghost rather than spirit?
BTW...Blue, I dont think I'm being anachronistic but rather reverant..just my thoughts

Well, that's my point, Barney. Your sense of what reverent means is informed by today's meaning of the word 'ghost'. That is precisely what I mean by anachronism. In the 17th century, the use of the word 'ghost and 'spirit' were exactly identical. Not so today. definitions of words change over time.

There are three different words in biblical Greek for spirit or ghost.
The main one is phantasma - which means an apparition. And today, most people when they use the word ghost mean an apparition. i.e. the appearance of a dead person's soul or spirit.

The one used of the Holy Spirit is pneuma. And it is never used to describe an apparition.

Most Newer translations only use the word ghost when referring to an apparition or the appearance of a soul of a dead person