PDA

View Full Version : Brexit

RWGR
05-27-2016, 02:38 PM
Great Britain will vote on leaving the European Union on June 23rd.

let me guess ...this is the sign of a vibrant and healthy European Union?

https://staticseekingalpha.a.ssl.fastly.net/uploads/2016/3/45973076_14574852779205_rId4.jpg

Hans
05-27-2016, 09:50 PM
It is a sign of democracy. If it passes they are free to go on their own.

RWGR
05-28-2016, 01:33 PM
...and there it is

Anapeg
05-28-2016, 05:51 PM
It is a sign of democracy. If it passes they are free to go on their own.

Is it truly just that simple Hans? With all the goings on over a province trying to go AWOL here that sounds astoundingly easy. Hell, the U.S. went to war to cease the break-up of their country, yet the European Union can be torn apart with little more than a vote in one country.

Hans
05-28-2016, 06:04 PM
That is the way democracy works. And we will see what the outcome of the vote is before starting to worry about a break up.

Anapeg
05-28-2016, 08:20 PM
That is the way democracy works. And we will see what the outcome of the vote is before starting to worry about a breakup.

Is this a strictly political vote or citizen-wide?

Hans
05-29-2016, 01:11 AM
If I am correct, it is a referendum.

RWGR
05-31-2016, 10:20 AM
That is the way democracy works. And we will see what the outcome of the vote is before starting to worry about a break up.

I know how democracy works, thank you. This is not about democracy. This is about what is arguably the most important member of the EU possibly leaving.

Anapeg
05-31-2016, 05:49 PM
I agree with RW, I feel such a move would be a death knell for the E.U. would it not? Or do you, Hans, believe it may well survive such a heavy hitter abandoning the Union?

Hans
06-01-2016, 07:15 AM
It is not truly a heavy hitter. They have kept their own currency over the Euro, Euro kept trucking on.
Like I said, let's see what the outcome of the referendum is before we draw conclusions.

RWGR
06-01-2016, 09:12 AM
It is not truly a heavy hitter. They have kept their own currency over the Euro, Euro kept trucking on.
Like I said, let's see what the outcome of the referendum is before we draw conclusions.

I'm not sure the Euro kept trucking on. It has sputtered quite a bit.

Sorry, but to say GB leaving the EU is not a big deal is complete lunacy. It is the 6th largest economy in Europe.

RWGR
06-01-2016, 09:44 AM
And let's face it, if GB leaves, that will open the door for a few others to follow.

Trying to create a United States of Europe was an ill-conceived idea from the beginning.

RWGR
06-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Paris-based thinktank compares consequences of UK leaving EU to effects of China’s high-tempo economy grinding to a halt

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/01/brexit-could-spread-shockwaves-trough-global-economy-says-oecd

European Council president Donald Tusk has warned EU leaders in the bluntest terms that their “utopian” illusions are tearing Europe apart, and that any attempt to seize on Brexit to force through yet more integration would be a grave mistake.

In a passionate plea to Europe’s top conservatives, he accused the EU elites of living in a fool’s paradise and provoking the eurosceptic revolt now erupting in a string of countries.

“It is us who today are responsible,” he said, speaking at a conclave of Christian-Democrat and centre-right leaders in Luxembourg. “Obsessed with the idea of instant and total integration, we failed to notice that ordinary people, the citizens of Europe, do not share our Euro-enthusiasm.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/05/31/tusk-blames-utopian-eu-elites-for-eurosceptic-revolt-and-brexit/

Hans
06-01-2016, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure the Euro kept trucking on. It has sputtered quite a bit.

Sorry, but to say GB leaving the EU is not a big deal is complete lunacy. It is the 6th largest economy in Europe.

That means there are 5 that are larger.
It is all about perspective.

RWGR
06-02-2016, 09:40 AM
That means there are 5 that are larger.
It is all about perspective.

And more that are smaller.

Perspective is right.