PDA

View Full Version : Saudis exerted 'massive' pressure on U.N. to be removed from blacklist

Hans
06-09-2016, 06:16 AM
Saudi Arabia and Muslim allies applied huge pressure on U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki Moon to be removed from a blacklist for killing children in Yemen, a U.N. official tells CNN.

The official says Saudi Arabia made a threat of a "total rupture" in relations between the Kingdom and the U.N., placing in doubt hundreds of millions of dollars in financial contributions to U.N. humanitarian agencies and causes.
There were also suggestions clerics in Saudi Arabia could meet to issue an anti-U.N. fatwa, declaring the organization "anti-Muslim."
The pressure was "massive ... beyond anything ever seen," the official said.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/09/middleeast/saudi-arabia-un-children/index.html

It is time the world sees that country for what it is, and frees it's people.

Anapeg
06-09-2016, 07:34 PM
If the U.N. can be strong armed in this manner it has truly outlived its effective lifespan. If threats of not paying their bills get special dispensations then shut 'er down.

Barry Morris
06-09-2016, 10:45 PM
But isn't Saudi Arabia a good friend of the USA??

Maybe there was other pressure.

Anapeg
06-09-2016, 10:52 PM
Regardless, if the organisation galumphs over its own mandate the organisation is without direction and as such, worthless.

RWGR
06-10-2016, 11:19 AM
But isn't Saudi Arabia a good friend of the USA??

Maybe there was other pressure.

...as Canada prepares to sell $15 billion dollars worth of offensive military equipment to them

Can't really say it's tolerant or compassionate, but some people in the Canadian defense industry are going to become very rich, and, hey, it's tolerant and compassionate to them!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-must-stick-to-its-word-on-saudi-arms-deal-trudeau-says/article29981571/

RWGR
06-10-2016, 11:19 AM
It is time the world sees that country for what it is, and frees it's people.

How do you free them?

Barry Morris
06-10-2016, 10:07 PM
...as Canada prepares to sell $15 billion dollars worth of offensive military equipment to them

Can't really say it's tolerant or compassionate, but some people in the Canadian defense industry are going to become very rich, and, hey, it's tolerant and compassionate to them!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-must-stick-to-its-word-on-saudi-arms-deal-trudeau-says/article29981571/

You'd have a leg to stand on if they weren't your buddies, too!!

Barry Morris
06-10-2016, 10:08 PM
How do you free them?

The American way!! Kill em all, let God sort them out!!

RWGR
06-11-2016, 11:46 AM
You'd have a leg to stand on if they weren't your buddies, too!!

Translation: "I had no idea we were selling those to them!"

I win...AGAIN!! :) :) :)

RWGR
06-11-2016, 11:47 AM

Somalia Affair, 1993

You lose...AGAIN!! :) :) :)

RWGR
06-11-2016, 11:53 AM
...and, hey, why not renew ties with one of the world's most oppressive and dictatorial governments...after all, there's money to be made!!

The Trudeau government has made no secret of its desire to re-engage with Iran — it was even a campaign promise — and now Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane​ Dion has confirmed to CBC News that preliminary contact has been made.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-iran-talks-stephane-dion-1.3630446

RWGR
06-11-2016, 11:55 AM

Canada must launch a public inquiry into the alleged torture of hundreds of Afghan detainees during the country's military mission in Afghanistan, a group of human rights advocates, legal experts, politicians and diplomats has said.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/canada-urged-probe-role-afghan-detainee-torture-160609160734114.html

:)

Hans
06-11-2016, 05:35 PM
How do you free them?

Same way as we have freed Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya etc...: you remove those in power, by force if necessary.

RWGR
06-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Same way as we have freed Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya etc...: you remove those in power, by force if necessary.

But you are stridently against the actions the US took in Iraq to remove Saddam.

Hans
06-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Yes I was, because they had no plan in place on how to proceed once Saddam was taken down.
Look at the state of that country right now: a hot bed for ISIS and other terrorist organizations. And that is if you can call it a country at this point in time.

The same happened in Libya, and to some extent Afghanistan. Topple the government, turn the country into anarchy and chaos.
I am sure there has to be a better way of "freeing" people.

RWGR
06-13-2016, 08:59 AM
I am sure there has to be a better way of "freeing" people.

Let's face it, only one country has the balls to do it.

And your reasoning for being against the ousting of Saddam is complete BS. Your argument before was we had no right to interfere, period. It didn't have anything to do with what the post-Saddam Iraq would be like.

I'll tell you what: let's give the EU a chance to show it can do the job, let's let the EU oust the dictators ...

...sorry, I can't finish typing that with anything closely resembling a straight face.

Barry Morris
06-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Somalia Affair, 1993

You lose...AGAIN!!

What a loser, still using that once isolated example. Hilarious!!! :) :) :)

Anapeg
06-13-2016, 10:01 AM

I am as proud of my country as any man but where I Hell are we getting 15 billion worth of military equipment from to complete this deal or is it an all out yard sale to end all yard sales? We are not a builder/exporter of armament but rather an importer.

RWGR
06-13-2016, 04:46 PM
What a loser, still using that once isolated example. Hilarious!!!

It's one of the worst military "peace-keeping" atrocities in history, it ain't goin' anywhere soon, BM!! :) :) :)

Hans
06-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Let's face it, only one country has the balls to do it.

And your reasoning for being against the ousting of Saddam is complete BS. Your argument before was we had no right to interfere, period. It didn't have anything to do with what the post-Saddam Iraq would be like.

I'll tell you what: let's give the EU a chance to show it can do the job, let's let the EU oust the dictators ...

...sorry, I can't finish typing that with anything closely resembling a straight face.

Yes, I also said you should have left Iraq alone because you had no real reason to interfere. We all know the WMD was used as an excuse to remove Saddam, who was put in power by the US in the first place.
But since you insisted to go in with guns blazing and "free" the citizens, don't you agree you should have had a plan on how to get this "free" country back up and running properly?

Or are you stating that Iraq currently is doing much better than under Saddam rule and it is all good?

RWGR
06-15-2016, 02:41 PM
Yes, I also said you should have left Iraq alone because you had no real reason to interfere.

So you don't dislike all murderous dictators, just some.

Compare the human rights abuses of Saddam's Baathist regime and the current Saudi leadership.

Yup, Saddam easily 'wins' this one.

RWGR
06-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Tell me, Hans, under what basic pretext should a coalition of countries go in and depose the current Saudi leadership. Give me a basic, one-or two-sentence summary.

Hans
06-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Human rights, suspected supporters of terrorism to some extent, economic terrorists towards the USA and other leading world countries, cartel forming under OPEC, use of cruel forms of capital punishment (stoning, public beheading), etc...

Feel free to pick one or more.

RWGR
06-16-2016, 05:10 PM
Human rights, suspected supporters of terrorism to some extent, economic terrorists towards the USA and other leading world countries, cartel forming under OPEC, use of cruel forms of capital punishment (stoning, public beheading), etc...

You read this, my friend, then get back to me, k??

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/internationalhumanrights/p/saddam_hussein.htm

Hans
06-16-2016, 07:04 PM
Sure.

The al-Anfal Campaign:

The worst human rights abuses of Hussein's tenure took place during the genocidal al-Anfal Campaign (1986-1989), in which Hussein's administration called for the extermination of every living thing--human or animal--in certain regions of the Kurdish north. All told, some 182,000 people--men, women, and children--were slaughtered, many through use of chemical weapons. The Halabja poison gas massacre of 1988 alone killed over 5,000 people. Hussein later blamed the attacks on the Iranians, and the Reagan administration, which supported Iraq in the Iran-Iraq War, helped promote this cover story.

"But what this rhetoric does not reflect is that, until 1991, Saddam Hussein was allowed to commit his atrocities with the full support of the U.S. government. The specifics of the al-Anfal Campaign were no mystery to the Reagan administration, but the decision was made to support the genocidal Iraqi government over the pro-Soviet theocracy of Iran, even to the point of making ourselves complicit in crimes against humanity."

Terrible, is it not?

RWGR
06-17-2016, 06:46 AM
Nice moving of the goalposts.

At least the US eventually did something.

You've lost this one, friend, time to move on.

Barry Morris
06-17-2016, 03:07 PM

So long as RW can find something he considers worse, it's a reason for inaction.

His usual MO.

Hans
06-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Nice moving of the goalposts.

At least the US eventually did something.

You've lost this one, friend, time to move on.

I did not move anything. You asked me to read the information you provided with a link and get back to you.
And that is exactly what I did.

I assume it did not meet your standards?

Barry Morris
06-17-2016, 09:29 PM
So you don't dislike all murderous dictators, just some.

Like the USA likes those who support them.

RWGR
06-22-2016, 04:25 PM
Was that in English?

Barry Morris
06-22-2016, 10:53 PM
Was that in English?

How da heck could YOU tell???

RWGR
06-23-2016, 05:23 PM
how da heck could you tell???

ehhhh????

RWGR
06-28-2016, 04:46 PM
...and another terrorist attack...in Turkey.

BM's right, US foreign policy in the ME will continue to get...Turkish...people ...

http://wemeantwell.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/vintage-man-confused.jpg

RWGR
07-03-2016, 12:23 PM
BM's insistence that terrorism stems from US foreign policy continues to make him look like the foreign policy expert he is ...

Those who could recite a verse from the Quran were spared, others were tortured, said a rescued hostage of the Gulshan restaurant attack where at least two lawmen were killed.

“The others were tortured by the gunmen,” said Rezaul Karim, father of Hasnat Karim who was held hostage inside Holey Artisan Bakery in the diplomatic zone for over 10 hours.

http://www.thedailystar.net/city/those-who-cited-quran-verse-were-spared-1249228

Barry Morris
07-03-2016, 04:37 PM
When the USA left them alone, they left us alone.

But americans are way too arrogant to notice that.

RWGR
07-04-2016, 06:25 AM
"too", not "to"

I actually think you have a point. I've wrote several letters to my congressman, asking him to please get the 1993 Canadian Somalia peacekeeping force to train American soldiers on how to win friends and influence people.

Barry Morris
07-04-2016, 10:06 AM
"too", not "to"

I actually think you have a point. I've wrote several letters to my congressman, asking him to please get the 1993 Canadian Somalia peacekeeping force to train American soldiers on how to win friends and influence people.

I have to laugh at your single minded dumbnitude!!!

EVERY freakin' time we bring up yet another example of american nastiness, you bring up Somalia.

Too bad for you Canadians just don't get into that much trouble!! :) :) :)

RWGR
07-04-2016, 03:50 PM
The examples are everywhere, BM, but that one is a keeper, because it's really, really hard to beat

Barry Morris
07-04-2016, 07:27 PM
The examples are everywhere, BM, but that one is a keeper, because it's really, really hard to beat

Not by americans!!! In the USA, such an act wouldn't even be noticed by the media, in comparison!!

RWGR
07-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Not by americans!!!

You're right! :) :) :)

Barry Morris
07-04-2016, 11:24 PM
Damn straight. America has the worst "shoot first, ask questions later" in the world.

"Manifest Destiny" has warped your minds for a century and a half!!

RWGR
07-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Damn straight. America has the worst "shoot first, ask questions later" in the world.

Ummm...that would be a good thing, would it not, BM???

RWGR
07-06-2016, 08:51 AM
"Manifest Destiny" has warped your minds for a century and a half!!

We don't have to go to the world, the world came to us :) :) :)

Barry Morris
07-06-2016, 09:28 AM
If you had stayed out of the Middle East, the twin towers might still be standing.

RWGR
07-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Better towers are standing there now, so we win!! :) :) :)

Barry Morris
07-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Better towers are standing there now, so we win!! :) :) :)

Figures. The dead don't matter.

RWGR
07-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Figures. The dead don't matter.

You don't have a problem with killing children in the womb, why would slaughtered people in a building cause you any problems?

Barry Morris
07-07-2016, 09:29 AM
You don't have a problem with killing children in the womb, why would slaughtered people in a building cause you any problems?

I don't?? News to me.

That's just your warped attack methods coming out again.

I wonder if the local crisis pregnancy centre will recognize your name, next time I'm in I'll ask.

RWGR
07-07-2016, 04:43 PM
I don't?? News to me.

That's just your warped attack methods coming out again.

I wonder if the local crisis pregnancy centre will recognize your name, next time I'm in I'll ask.

LOL, now you hang out at crisis pregnancy centers???

You need to start wrapping that thing, kid!!

Barry Morris
07-07-2016, 07:40 PM
LOL, now you hang out at crisis pregnancy centers???

You need to start wrapping that thing, kid!!

I do a lot of telephone work for charities.

Hans
07-07-2016, 08:01 PM
So, can we get back to the topic at hand gentlemen?

RWGR
07-08-2016, 08:53 AM
I do a lot of telephone work for charities.

Oh, I'm sure.

You didn't mean to, but thanks for divulging the real Barry to us.