PDA

View Full Version : China cuts meat consumption by half.

Bluesky
06-23-2016, 08:24 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/20/chinas-meat-consumption-climate-change?CMP=share_btn_tw

RWGR
06-23-2016, 06:25 PM
A lot of dogs and cats are breathing a sigh of relief right now

Hans
06-23-2016, 09:09 PM
It is amazing how people seem to believe eating less meat will result in less greenhouse gasses.

Anapeg
06-23-2016, 11:41 PM
It is amazing how people seem to believe eating less meat will result in fewer greenhouse gases.

"In 2010, the United Nations proposed a “global levy on livestock methane emissions,” or as the press dubbed it, “the fart tax.” This didn’t pass… but it is something that has continued to be discussed.
According to the Food & Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, livestock also cause phosphorus and nitrogen over contamination. This contributes to biodiversity loss in marine ecosystems, most dangerously at the moment in the South China Sea.
In the early to mid-20th century, dairy farming started becoming big business in America, England, Australia, Argentina, and New Zealand. The number of cows in the world first doubled, then tripled. In order to feed this massive influx of cows that natural growing grass and flowers could no longer handle, pastures were reseeded with perennial ryegrass. This grass lacks the nutrients and is difficult digest, which causes, even more, methane gas to be expelled from cows.
Feeding cows maize silage and fermenting corn shuckings can mean a thirty-three percent decrease in methane gas emissions."

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjFt-2z0L_NAhXl64MKHS-GDLoQFggjMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.todayifoundout.com%2Findex.ph p%2F2014%2F04%2Fcow-farts-really-significantly-contribute-global-warming%2F&usg=AFQjCNE100Cpb5sHMs_u2Cc9nSpPCCt1Qg

Eating less meat makes for fewer animals, less animals, less flatulance, flatulance is greenhouse gas.

Hans
06-24-2016, 07:18 AM
You honestly think those companies that produce meat are not going to switch over to some other food that will also create greenhouse gas?
They are in the business to make money, not to close down and disappear.

Bluesky
06-24-2016, 10:38 AM
A lot of dogs and cats are breathing a sigh of relief right now

Unfortunately, this is NOT a stereotype.

Bluesky
06-24-2016, 10:40 AM
It is amazing how people seem to believe eating less meat will result in less greenhouse gasses.

The science on this is pretty solid. It's not just the flatulence and the methane gasses expelled. The amount of energy required to raise the equivalent nutrients in beef and plants tells the story. For example, to grow 100 calories of beef takes much more energy than growing 100 calories of beans.

Here is one study. There are tons of studies.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/3/660S.full

Hans
06-24-2016, 09:03 PM
I think beans do cause a lot of gas afterwards compared to beef.

But all kidding aside, if you decide to cut your meat producing economy in half, you can be sure the cut half will start to produce some other food item.
They will simply export to other countries. Expect cheap Chinese meat to hit the shelves in the coming months.

Anapeg
06-24-2016, 10:22 PM
I think beans do cause a lot of gas afterwards compared to beef.

But all kidding aside, if you decide to cut your meat producing economy in half, you can be sure the cut half will start to produce some other food item.
They will simply export to other countries. Expect cheap Chinese meat to hit the shelves in the coming months.

I await with bated breath cancer causing crap that would turn out to be.

Barry Morris
06-24-2016, 11:48 PM
Unfortunately, this is NOT a stereotype.

So what??

We eat pigs, and most of the world thinks that's disgusting!!!

Bluesky
06-24-2016, 11:51 PM
Expect cheap Chinese meat to hit the shelves in the coming months.

At current levels, China cannot keep up with its own needs. Canada is exporting pork to CHina. Cina imports NO pork to Canada. If China cuts its meet consumption in half, it might be able to provide for herself. Canadian exporters will lose out, and will have to find other markets.

http://www.canadapork.com/en/industry-information/canadian-pork-imports

Hans
06-25-2016, 03:01 PM
At current levels, China cannot keep up with its own needs. Canada is exporting pork to CHina. Cina imports NO pork to Canada. If China cuts its meet consumption in half, it might be able to provide for herself. Canadian exporters will lose out, and will have to find other markets.

http://www.canadapork.com/en/industry-information/canadian-pork-imports

Or the sudden surplus of Chinese meat might cause a boom in exported Chinese meat, meaning USD for China and no more export for Canadian meat.
This could mean a crash for the Canadian meat market, job loss and less income tax for the Canadian government.
China loves USD.

RWGR
06-26-2016, 01:10 PM
So what??

We eat pigs, and most of the world thinks that's disgusting!!!

Excellent analogy. After all, pigs are man's best friend. How many kids grew up with a pet pig? The number is countless!

Barry Morris
06-26-2016, 06:15 PM
Excellent analogy. After all, pigs are man's best friend. How many kids grew up with a pet pig? The number is countless!

I have to wonder if you teach this same way.

Lots of words.

No content.

FYI, my dear chum, the animals that we think of as "mans best friend" are not likely considered so in those countries.

Therefore, once again, your willful ignorance of the cultures outside your own slaps you upside the head!!!

RWGR
06-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Your anger bespeaks the fact I struck a mighty nerve!

Sorry, but you are just too easy to take down.

Now, go install a stereo while I continue to enjoy three months off! :) :) :)

Barry Morris
06-27-2016, 05:32 PM
Your anger bespeaks the fact I struck a mighty nerve!

Sorry, but you are just too easy to take down.

Now, go install a stereo while I continue to enjoy three months off! :) :) :)

Yer talking again, but not saying a thing. Typical.

Barry Morris
06-27-2016, 05:33 PM
https://s.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/JyeKHGJmVeI.VUk60WjRhQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/gma/2014-07-15/a3229c40-0c57-11e4-b00b-bb11e7213a8e_HT_Wilbur_Florida_family_pet_pig_7_MT _140715_4x3_992.jpg

Pigs. Smarter than dogs, cleaner than dogs, and if you don't get along, easier to get rid of!!!

The Chronic Liar
06-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Pigs. Smarter than dogs, cleaner than dogs, and if you don't get along, easier to get rid of!!!

Namecalling. A sign of a marriage on the rocks.

KDawg
06-27-2016, 08:48 PM

http://media.virbcdn.com/cdn_images/resize_1024x1365/d0/75ad7dee096594f0-a134_dirtypigsm.jpg

Bluesky
06-28-2016, 11:17 AM
You would look like that too if you were penned up with no place to poop.

Barry Morris
06-28-2016, 05:01 PM
Given the chance, pigs apparently prefer to be clean.

KDawg
06-28-2016, 06:35 PM
I guess they would want to get cleaned up after a meal at Chez Outhouse.

RWGR
06-29-2016, 07:27 PM

One told you this?

Bluesky
06-29-2016, 07:53 PM
One told you this?

I have raised pigs. I know this to be true by experience.

RWGR
06-29-2016, 08:01 PM
They talk to you, too?

RWGR
06-29-2016, 08:03 PM
are you sure you guys aren't thinking of Babe?

Bluesky
06-30-2016, 10:22 AM
are you sure you guys aren't thinking of Babe?

You're dating yourself.
Was that your favourite?

RWGR
06-30-2016, 05:21 PM
You're dating yourself.

You're right, I should have mentioned the other movie about a talking pig: Charlotte's Web.

Wait ...

Was that your favourite?

I thought it was cute, but it wasn't my favorite.

You're seething with anger now, it's not healthy.

Barry Morris
06-30-2016, 07:21 PM
Oooo, seething again!!!

RWGR, ya gotta stop being so angry!!!

RWGR
06-30-2016, 10:21 PM
BM, it loses its effectiveness when we all know your emperor has been in a fit of rage the last 24 hours.

So, he'll QUIT

Translation: he'll be back posting by the second week of July

Barry Morris
06-30-2016, 11:14 PM
You could take three months off, no one would mind.

Or miss you.

Hans
06-30-2016, 11:29 PM
I actually enjoy the wizard.

Barry Morris
07-01-2016, 12:28 AM
I actually enjoy the wizard.

I have to admit he's good for a laugh!!

RWGR
07-03-2016, 01:32 PM
You could take three months off, no one would mind.

Or miss you.

And the best part of it all: you can't do a thing about it!!! :) :) :)

No more Mod powers for you to abuse, BM!

RWGR
07-03-2016, 01:41 PM
You know,that is actually a very astute observation.

He is infatuated with monarchy. So, when he got the Mod job here he tried to run it like a king running the peasants.

I would now like to propose a new song: God Do Not Save the King

:) :) :)

Barry Morris
07-03-2016, 05:39 PM
You know,that is actually a very astute observation.

He is infatuated with monarchy. So, when he got the Mod job here he tried to run it like a king running the peasants.

I would now like to propose a new song: God Do Not Save the King

Poor RW, got so mad when he was turfed out for his usual nonsense, I have to wonder just what he did to get back in???

RWGR
07-04-2016, 07:27 AM
Poor RW, got so mad when he was turfed out for his usual nonsense, I have to wonder just what he did to get back in???

Still irrationally emotional about your dismissal,BM?!?!?

You lost,thus WE WON

Bluesky
07-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Back to the OP's subjet..
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/30/how-meat-is-destroying-the-planet-in-seven-charts/?wpisrc=nl_most-draw7&wpmm=1

An interesting stat - You need 48 times the amount of water to produce the same amount of beef as vegetables.
If this is true, this is amazing.