PDA

View Full Version : Why the U.S. is freaked out about Brexit

Hans
06-24-2016, 09:12 PM
Britain's vote to leave the European Union Friday left the United States confronting a threat to the strength and cohesion of both its closest historical ally and a 70-year transatlantic partnership that has been the bedrock of Western peace and prosperity.

For the UK, it's not just the EU exit that could cause Britain's influence to wane. If Europhile Scotland now holds a second independence vote, the power of Washington's old ally could be further splintered.

And the economic hit the UK will take as it extricates itself from a market that accounts for 44% of its exports could leave it with fewer resources to do its share. The U.S. is itself already feeling the aftershocks -- American stocks were down more than 600 points at the closing bell Friday afternoon.

Altogether, that could mean a smaller Britain, less able to meet its defense commitments, and it would pose problems for the future of the U.K.'s independent nuclear deterrent, which is based in Scotland and is opposed by the ruling Scottish Nationalist Party.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/24/politics/donald-trump-brexit-scotland-press-conference/index.html

RWGR
06-26-2016, 01:04 PM
The US is freaked out? No, but a lot of Europeans are.

The EU was a massive failure, one of the biggest political failures in history.

Massive European failures have been the norm since WWI, unfortunately.

Hans
06-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Even the UK is freaking out: Brexit remorse? UK lawmaker calls for Parliament to ignore EU referendum.

Technically, the referendum result is not legally binding because of Britain's sovereign Parliament. David Lammy MP, a member of the left-wing Labor Party, called Saturday for a legislative vote on whether to remain in the EU.

"We can stop this madness and bring this nightmare to an end," Lammy said. "Let us not destroy our economy on the basis of lies and the hubris of ('Leave' leader) Boris Johnson."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/06/26/brexit-remorse-uk-lawmaker-calls-for-parliament-to-ignore-eu-referendum-as-millions-call-for-second-vote.html?intcmp=hplnws

RWGR
06-26-2016, 04:20 PM
A Leftist politician wanting to ignore the democratic process when it doesn't go his way.

In more shocking news, the sun will set in the west tonight.

Barry Morris
06-26-2016, 06:08 PM
Perhaps the Monarch could overturn the people's choice.

No, because Britain has a democracy.

Barry Morris
06-26-2016, 06:10 PM
A Leftist politician wanting to ignore the democratic process when it doesn't go his way.

Judging by all the anti Obama rhetoric, Republicans feel the same way!!!

The Chronic Liar
06-27-2016, 10:52 AM
The power of the left. They get outvoted but are so vocal that they are trying to ignore a referendum. That's bad. Real bad.

Barry Morris
06-27-2016, 11:40 AM
The power of the left. They get outvoted but are so vocal that they are trying to ignore a referendum. That's bad. Real bad.

Oh really.

So you support more referendums to be the final say on issues of concern??

Very interesting.

The Chronic Liar
06-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Oh really.

So you support more referendums to be the final say on issues of concern??

Very interesting.

I don't expect a referendum to be ignored because the loudest group doesn't like it.

RWGR
06-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Judging by all the anti Obama rhetoric, Republicans feel the same way!!!

Source?? Link??

Hans
06-27-2016, 08:39 PM

It is not as simple as you make it sound. They are more concerned with a possible breakup of the UK as a result of the exit vote, as a few major parts wish to stay in the EU and are looking to break away on their own.
That is why you keep hearing all these possible scenario's.

I think for now they are just going to stay in the EU until the next PM takes power.

Hans
06-27-2016, 10:14 PM
Yes, that part is simple. But the UK is a complex matter on top of that simplicity.
The last thing the UK wants is North Ireland and Scotland leaving the UK.

The Chronic Liar
06-27-2016, 10:42 PM
It is not as simple as you make it sound. They are more concerned with a possible breakup of the UK as a result of the exit vote, as a few major parts wish to stay in the EU and are looking to break away on their own.
That is why you keep hearing all these possible scenario's.

I think for now they are just going to stay in the EU until the next PM takes power.

I get that it's complex ( I speak in generalities for Barry's sake) but people have to take referendums a little more seriously. All I keep reading is about people who didn't vote because they thought it wouldn't be close or they regret it because they found out after the vote the ramifications of exiting the EU. The people have spoken and a decision not to follow through should not be taken lightly.

Barry Morris
06-27-2016, 10:52 PM
I don't expect a referendum to be ignored because the loudest group doesn't like it.

Then let's have a referendum on gay marriage!!

Of course, it's obvious that the "loudest" group wouldn't want that!!!

The Chronic Liar
06-27-2016, 11:10 PM
Then let's have a referendum on gay marriage!!

Of course, it's obvious that the "loudest" group wouldn't want that!!!

LOL please tell me you are kidding?

Barry Morris
06-27-2016, 11:25 PM

Uh, near as I can tell, he's part of that "representative" democracy you seemed to like.

So, referendums, or representative, which do you prefer??

Oh yeah, which ever one that go your way, this week, I forgot!!!

Barry Morris
06-27-2016, 11:27 PM
Gay Marriage is legal. It affects a very small portion of the population. It has the support of 7 out of 10 Canadians.

What would be the point of having a referendum on that?

It has the support of 7 in ten Canadians??

I THINK only a referendum could really show that.

Hans
06-27-2016, 11:30 PM
I get that it's complex ( I speak in generalities for Barry's sake) but people have to take referendums a little more seriously. All I keep reading is about people who didn't vote because they thought it wouldn't be close or they regret it because they found out after the vote the ramifications of exiting the EU. The people have spoken and a decision not to follow through should not be taken lightly.

Personally I think they should have had debates about it, followed by a 4 week cool off period, than a referendum.
Doing a referendum in the heat of the battle is never a good idea.

The Chronic Liar
06-28-2016, 12:33 AM
I THINK

You are overachieving today.