PDA

View Full Version : Walmart starts cutting off Visa in Canada

Hans
07-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Some Walmart shoppers in Canada can no longer use their Visa cards -- and the change will roll out across the rest of Walmart's stores in Canada in the near future.

The companies are tussling over the fees that retailers pay every time a shopper uses their card. Walmart says the fees it pays Visa in Canada are four times higher than in other countries.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/18/news/companies/walmart-visa-canada/index.html?sr=cnnmoneybin071816walmartvisacanada2p VODtop

Not that I use Visa at grocery stores, but I can see how others might find this useful.

Nihilistic Heathen
07-21-2016, 02:55 PM
The problem with credit card companies is the fees they charge businesses aren't a fixed price per transaction. They basically skim a percentage off of whatever you purchase with them. So if you purchase something for $500 using a cc the cc company will charge approximately 1.5% of that price to the retailer. I read somewhere that CC companies rake in a few billion a year in Canada with these fees. Pretty good racket they have going.

Barry Morris
07-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Imagine how many people are loading up, going through checkout, offering VISA at the end, then just walking when refused.

I sure would.

Nihilistic Heathen
07-25-2016, 11:23 AM
I imagine it would take a very special kind of person to waste their time doing something like that, and I'm not surprised you are one of them.

blueboy
07-25-2016, 02:14 PM
who cares (cash fool)

Barry Morris
07-26-2016, 08:36 AM
I imagine it would take a very special kind of person to waste their time doing something like that, and I'm not surprised you are one of them.

So you are saying that, if you arrived at the checkout, and discovered that suddenly you were unable to pay, because of Walmart's greed, that you would most graciously return all your items to the shelves???

Far out!!!

blueboy
07-26-2016, 01:18 PM
can,t pay hahahahaha fool

Hans
07-26-2016, 07:53 PM
I always pay with debit. I only use credit for online purchases, unless debit is available.

blueboy
07-27-2016, 08:19 AM
yes very good

gizmoguy
07-28-2016, 06:49 PM
If you can get a Visa, you can probably get a MasterCard. If you have a Visa but can't get a MasterCard, you have bigger problems and probably should not be putting stuff on a credit card in the first place. Lol