PDA

View Full Version : Sault declared Ontario's capital of contraband cigarettes

Hans
11-30-2016, 06:33 AM
Station Mall ranked second in the province with 90.70 per cent of its cigarette butts found to be illicit, selling for as little as $30, compared to legal cigarettes at $100.

"Northern Ontario is a cesspool of illegal cigarettes," Dave Bryans, ASSOC chief executive officer, tells SooToday.

"It's a disaster out here and nobody wants to fix it."

Ontario Regulation 649/93 allows unmarked cigarettes to be sold on a reserve to adult members of a band for their own consumption, but prohibits purchase of excess quantities of unmarked cigarettes that could be resold to non-Indians.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/sault-declared-ontarios-contraband-cigarette-capital-476819

So, it has nothing to do with illegal cigarettes as there is no such thing.
It has to do with the huge price difference between native and non native sold cigarettes.

In other words, they are crying about not receiving their "share" of tax revenue.
Well, cry me a river.

If natives can get them for $30, so should anyone else. This organization (ASSOC ) is nothing but a bunch of parasites who want free tax money.

Official Cat of Soonet
11-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Station Mall ranked second in the province with 90.70 per cent of its cigarette butts found to be illicit, selling for as little as $30, compared to legal cigarettes at $100.

"Northern Ontario is a cesspool of illegal cigarettes," Dave Bryans, ASSOC chief executive officer, tells SooToday.

"It's a disaster out here and nobody wants to fix it."

Ontario Regulation 649/93 allows unmarked cigarettes to be sold on a reserve to adult members of a band for their own consumption, but prohibits purchase of excess quantities of unmarked cigarettes that could be resold to non-Indians.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/sault-declared-ontarios-contraband-cigarette-capital-476819

So, it has nothing to do with illegal cigarettes as there is no such thing.
It has to do with the huge price difference between native and non native sold cigarettes.

In other words, they are crying about not receiving their "share" of tax revenue.
Well, cry me a river.

If natives can get them for $30, so should anyone else. This organization (ASSOC ) is nothing but a bunch of parasites who want free tax money.

What is ASSOC?

Official Cat of Soonet
11-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Nevermind I believe that's a typo and is supposed to say OCSA. I don't think it's an organization that is concerned with tax money. They represent the convenience stores who are not getting sales on cigarettes. They pretend it's about youth but it's clear they are worried about one of the major products that lure people into their stores.

Hans
11-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Nevermind I believe that's a typo and is supposed to say OCSA. I don't think it's an organization that is concerned with tax money. They represent the convenience stores who are not getting sales on cigarettes. They pretend it's about youth but it's clear they are worried about one of the major products that lure people into their stores.

You have to wonder why "legal" has to cost 3 times "non legal for anyone but adult members of a band".
Someone is gauging the market.

Anapeg
11-30-2016, 10:09 PM
You have to wonder why "legal" has to cost 3 times "non legal for anyone but adult members of a band".

There dear Hans is the problem with our free enterprise system. People not satisfied with a decent living but wish to live as Monarchs.

Official Cat of Soonet
12-01-2016, 12:13 AM

They will tell you it's to protect our youth. I will tell you it's just a cash grab and they don't actually care about our youth.

Hans
12-01-2016, 06:11 AM
It is money.

Anapeg
12-01-2016, 12:48 PM
It is money.

Everything today is aimed toward the bottom line, be it business or private we are all thinking in the same vein.