PDA

View Full Version : wireless connection during standby?

08-25-2007, 07:43 AM
now i do not think it is possible.. but i cannot seem to find a YES or NO answer with a google search. is it possible on a desktop to maintain a wireless connection during standby (or perhaps even hibernation) mode(s) ?

08-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Not unless you use the WAL option. (Wake on lan).

If you don't use that option, then it will turn it off to save energy.

Wake On Lan, will maintain a connection.

MagicFingers
08-31-2007, 10:17 PM
I believe it would also depend if it's a USB wireless or not. I think there's a setting somewhere in there about to allow USB devices to wake up the system from standby/hibernation...

09-02-2007, 02:20 PM
thanks alot for the info gentlemen /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

BFLPE
09-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Wake on Lan capable wireless cards are very rare. Check out the specs for your specific card if you can but the answer is most likely no.

opinionated
10-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Just to add to what has already been said...it is not possible to maintain a useable wireless connection WHILE in standby (and definitely not hibernation)... this "wake on LAN" people are talking about will bring the computer back out of sleep mode when activity on the network is detected.

As some people mentioned though, I've never really heard of a wireless 'wake on lan'...only wired connections. It could be out there though.