PDA

View Full Version : opinions pls

Kristina Bourdage
08-29-2007, 12:46 AM
(Mods pls leave here until Thurs then you can move to computers!! Thanks so much)
I'm looking at a new laptop and need some input ASAP on experiences between HP and Dell. Unfortunately, if I go with HP I have to buy it tomorrow as the sale ends Thurs, but i'm out of town then. I was ready to buy the HP when I was told Dell was better. Just looking for any info and opinions!! Thanks

08-29-2007, 12:49 AM
They all have perks, and some features better than others.

In the end, you can not top Dell's service and parts. If something goes wrong they send you the new part no questions asked.

Hp is a good system, but there is next to nothing with support.

Dell's Accidental Damage Protection warranty is better than HP, and has less problems with it. Which i do suggest getting that warranty if you can afford it. You can whiz on the laptop and get a new one. 1 time shot though.

In the end I'd personally go for a dell if your looking for a good run of the mill lappy.

Evangeline
08-29-2007, 01:58 AM
I bought a used IBM laptop (was used by a company for a year or two then refurbished) and have never had issues with it, would recommend them to anyone!

Evangeline
08-29-2007, 02:02 AM
http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores...a-n0ca01-g0caen (http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HelpDisplay?storeId=124&catalogId=-124&langId=124&subject=ICUECanada&met=qapromo-s0smb-b0igf-l0icue-d0-smbna-n0ca01-g0caen)

hp2
08-29-2007, 07:32 AM
I myself personally like hp!!, I have never had problem with it, and tech support is right there at my finger tips. I just click the tab and its instant~~ no phone nothing, My power button fell out!! I just clicked clint tab on my desktop and bam it was there~~~ they told me take it back to where i purchased it, gave me a number to give them, and went up there had it fixed with in mins!! I personally like hp, but thats me!!

I have not had good experience with dells, jmo!!! I hear or have heard tech support is brutal to deal with and lengthy waites on the phone etc, where as my hp, they can fix my problem from where they are. but that has only happened onces!!

Strife
08-29-2007, 08:38 AM
I personally have had good experiences with Dell. There was a few times where I had to call them for support and even though the support was over seas for one of those calls, the lady was easy to understand. Although not all experiences are like this. HP I have not dealt with personally but I have heard many great things about their support. If you are willing to wait for the shipping, go with Dell. If you want it right away and want service in town, go with HP.

Madmax
08-29-2007, 08:41 AM
IMO

Don't buy HP or DELL PC's

Have one custom built for what you want it to have.

I may know a few who will do just this for you.

Kristina Bourdage
08-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone....I hate shopping and wish i could just have a personal shopper to make all the decisions for me!!LOL I think i'm going to go for the Dell. I've had a few others give me feedback and it's 2 for Dell 1 for HP!LOL I'm sure anything will be better than my To****ba. The motherboard fried on me twice in 3 months!

Kristina Bourdage
08-29-2007, 10:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO

</div></div>

Thanks for the suggestion, however I'm a little far away now!! (In Belleville)

Madmax
08-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Oh well in that case, i would go with dell over HP.

Tutones
08-29-2007, 05:27 PM
I have a Compaq Presario Laptop. It has been great. I can't tell you what the tech support is like, though 'cause I've never had to use it (I think this is a good thing /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif ) My computer is 4 years old and has NEVER given me a problem of any kind. I take it back & forth to school and use it in my classroom as well as for home use.

Pretty reliable, if you ask me.

Krysta
08-29-2007, 08:52 PM
I have never had an HP laptop but I do have a dell and honestly I would rather run them over with my car then own them.
Stay away from their inspiron series.
Within the first month it was getting fixed.
They have had it more then I have, and it happens to be going through a lawsuit for being one they knew had issues.
But yet from day 1 of issues they refused me a whole new one.
They said they would replace everything in it before they would give someone a whole new one.
The problem is that when something goes they fix it but it caused an issue with something eles that would go shortly after and so on and so on.
I have dell desk tops no issues there but I refuse to ever get another laptop from them.

EDITED TO ADD MY DELL LAPTOP HAD ITS MOTHERBOARD FRIED 4 TIMES IN A YEAR AND A HALF.

08-29-2007, 11:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gottaplay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure anything will be better than my To****ba. The motherboard fried on me twice in 3 months! </div></div>Strange...they have one of the best reviews usually....

A*lil*Loopy
08-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Love my Toshiba Satellite, did lots of research before making the investment and haven't regretted it for a second. My MIL has one also, a key fell off and they sent it to Timmins for a week, but after a year that was the only problem.

I hadn't heard anything good about Dell. Actually my Dr. has had four of them and told me he spent waaay too much time trying to get things fixed and would never buy a Dell again. (I think I would've stopped buying them after the first one,lol)

I do know someone who uses his HP for gaming and loves it, but he doesn't actually use it for anything else.

403_forbidden
09-09-2007, 09:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO

</div></div>

Who do you know builds laptops (besides the major manufacturers)? I know you can get "cut" down versions, but they are from companies like Acer and you can add stuff to it.....but you probably won't get the quality that's in say a DELL XPS or ASUS.....ASUS has a notebook that you can upgrade the video card etc...but it's not practical in the long run.....

Shawn
09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: There's no Place Like 127.0.0.1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO

</div></div>

Who do you know builds laptops (besides the major manufacturers)? I know you can get "cut" down versions, but they are from companies like Acer and you can add stuff to it.....but you probably won't get the quality that's in say a DELL XPS or ASUS.....ASUS has a notebook that you can upgrade the video card etc...but it's not practical in the long run..... </div></div>

I have an asus notebook, its quite nice, I got the Z71V about 2 years back... I can just pop in a new hard drive, or memory or processor... it was custom built to what I wanted...

Strife
09-09-2007, 11:24 PM
I had a Dell Inspiron 710M and loved it. The laptop was great for basic usage but not so much for gaming or anything like that. Never had a problem with the thing at all. My friend owns a Compaq and wishes she never bought the thing. She has come to me on several occasions to get it fixed and unfortunately, I couldn't fix it because it was a hardware issue. I have heard some great things from HP (I know HP and Compaq are the same now). I plan on buying a 17" model from HP in the very near future. Hopefully I dont regret it