PDA

View Full Version : Issue w/ hard drive & new vista update

froggy_doddy
08-30-2007, 07:21 PM
I recently noticed that one of my 2 hard disks keeps going in and out of its standby state as if I have power-saving enabled (which I dont, I disabled it). I have 2 internal hard drives in my PC.

It seems to do it fairly randomly, it will turn off for maybe 1-3 minutes then come back on for a few minutes and do the same.

Im pretty sure it didnt do it before the Vista performance patches. So I'm thinking it might be due to recent Vista updates.

Power saving is currently set to NEVER turn off the hard-disks

Has anyone ever heard of this? It really doesn't do anything, but I just keep hearing a hard drive switch on. It's really annoying.

I will try uninstalling the recent updates and see what happens. Any other suggestions?

J*B
08-30-2007, 08:18 PM
I haven't heard of that other than when the hdd is starting to have problems, I had a 40 gig drive that went bad recently and that's how it started.
I guess you'll find out in a hurry if it has anything to do with the patches.

froggy_doddy
08-30-2007, 09:02 PM
I don't think it's the drive itself. I bought both Seagate Barracuda drives back in December. So I really don't think they're failing.

Andre
08-30-2007, 09:11 PM
I've had that happen a few times.

Once was what JB described. 40 GB Western Digital Hard Drive.

One time it was a bad connection between the power supply and the hard drive.

Once, a bad power supply.

froggy_doddy
08-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Dang, uninstalled one of the 2 updates and it hasn't done in the past half hour. I think that that was the problem.

The Vista performance fix pack, KB 938979

But now how am I supposed to install that update pack?

Grrrrrrrrrr

Hans
08-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Install XP, that will fix that Vista issue...

wiegand
09-01-2007, 02:41 AM
get rid of vista

09-05-2007, 02:01 AM
The performance patch handles the way the computer distributes power and standby time. I think what was happening was that the computer thought it wasn't being used, put it in standby and then the compuer woke it up again. If you install the patch again, check off all the hibernate/standby times to never.