PDA

View Full Version : roaming cats

sadielou
08-31-2007, 01:32 AM
Just wondering....are cats to be tied up like dogs or are they allowed to roam free?

*Angel*
08-31-2007, 08:36 PM
id say if u love ur cat and want them to return alive...tie em up

sadielou
08-31-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't have a cat, I have a dog. There's this cat thats been hanging around, I've opened my blinds in the morning to find this cat hanging out on my deck. The problem is that my dog goes NUTBAR and I don't want to let her out until the cat is gone because she'll go after the cat, naturally. I've not seen this cat before a couple days ago. I don't want my dog to hurt this cat and I don't know that she would but I don't want to take the chance. Suggestions please.

MagicFingers
09-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Sorry don't have any suggestions. I know my cat is not tied up, she wears a collar with her name address and phone number she basically hangs out in my yard or either neighbors yards and I have talked to the neighbors and they like her. They like that she is killing the mice and have no issues. I think it is really a bigger issue when the cat is a nuisance. If my neighbors didn't want her there I would figure out a way to try and keep her in. But I know she would soooo not like being tied up I would rather keep her in. If anyone has issues with my belief you should know I have three cats and only 1 goes outside and she was a stray when I took her in and well I couldn't keep her an indoor cat she would just find her way out, I don't like her going out but she drives all of us nuts and figures out how to get out anyways.

Babzz
09-01-2007, 12:15 AM
I have the same problem with my cat.. She has broken screens to get out.. She never goes too far thank god and I usually lure her in back by shaking her treats.

MagicFingers
09-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Would shake treats if they worked but they don't. None of my cats eat treats, Ive tried all kinds and they sit there looking at me like YOU EAT! Besides the cat that goes outside I think prefers her real mice.

GRUMPY
09-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Just let the dog out and the cat will go away.

Intangible
09-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Besides the fact that free roaming cats are very likely to get hurt or killed, it is a city bylaw that cats are NOT allowed to run free. The Humane SOciety will not come and chase a loose cat, but if you catch it (live trap, shut into a garage, etc.) they will come and pick it up. There are fines.

tasma
09-02-2007, 10:25 AM
I have a black cat that will do anything to get out. It waits by the door in the dark till an unsuspecting person even opens the door slightly the cat is out. He is fixed and a great family cat and I can't keep him inside. I haven't had any complaints about him but if I did I would have to tie him up. I also have two other cats that try the same thing most of the time I can keep them in but my grey cat opens the sliding screen door for the others. I have a lock on the screen but every once in a while we forget or leave in unlocked for a few minutes and he's gone. I don't know how I'm supposed to keep them in.

kitca
09-02-2007, 11:50 AM
my cats and my parents cats are the same as yours tasma. mine even ripped the screens open so they could get out. they used to be indoor cats, but once they accidentally got a taste of the outdoors, that was it!

i think the bylaw was enacted because of yowling unaltered cats and also cats using neighbours gardens as their toilet. it enabled the neighbours to have some sort of recourse. im not sure of other reasons.

orchid
09-02-2007, 06:46 PM
cats are allowed to roam free but they must be fixed and wearing a collar with some type of identification.

Intangible
09-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I have never heard of people being outsmarted by their cats.

Orchid, call the HS and check on that one.

orchid
09-04-2007, 02:24 PM
my mistake...they can go outside off leash but are to remain on their own property and should be wearing identification in the event they do get away

De Couture
09-04-2007, 05:28 PM
My cat has been missing for three weeks now because my roommate let her out. He also has a cat, and I would hate to think of his reaction if I ever lost his baby.

Anyone seen her or know anything? Silver tabby, white chest and four white paws. She went missing from the Pine-Willoughby area and any information live or dead is helpful to me. I can't sleep at night, and not knowing what happened to her makes me sick.

Check the lost and found forum for a resemblance pic of her...Humane Society has not seen her or picked her up either.

Thanks.

tasma
09-09-2007, 09:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intangible</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never heard of people being outsmarted by their cats.
</div></div>

Then apparently you haven't met my cats! My black cat runs out as soon as the door is opened, sometimes I can stop him before he gets out other times he is gone and I don't want to chase him because I don't want him running into the street. And my other cat opens the screen door by himself if I don't latch it and lets the others out as well! I think its a conspiracy theory. You apparently don't or didn't have smart cats, when they want out they will find a way!

kitca
09-09-2007, 10:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tasma5</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intangible</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never heard of people being outsmarted by their cats.
</div></div>

Then apparently you haven't met my cats! My black cat runs out as soon as the door is opened, sometimes I can stop him before he gets out other times he is gone and I don't want to chase him because I don't want him running into the street. And my other cat opens the screen door by himself if I don't latch it and lets the others out as well! I think its a conspiracy theory. You apparently don't or didn't have smart cats, when they want out they will find a way! </div></div>

absolutly!!!!!! mine too, tore holes in all the screens they could reach. laid in wait by the door for it to open. cats are so smart! my parents are going through this with a new cat, they gave up and let her out, she is very good, just stays in the yard and LOVES it outside. but they just couldnt catch her, she was so fast out that door.

Babzz
09-09-2007, 11:12 AM
holes in my screen too /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

My cat has me trained. The door opens, she darts out, I shake the treats and she comes in.. Its a game for her.

skibunnie64
09-11-2007, 07:01 AM
The sad part is, even though the cat is on your property and your dog harms the cat, you can be held responsible. Years ago we had a cat problem and had a big dog. The dog was tied up in the backyard and the cat would go back there. I had no choice but to get a live trap from the humane society and bring the cat in. I wasn't taking any chances my dog killing it. I can't remember the fines the owner of the cat pays but I believe if the cat is brought in more than once the fine goes up not real sure as it was a few years ago.

kitty&mimi
09-11-2007, 01:58 PM
theres a cat that comes to my yard at night, one of my cats TOTALLY goes BULLISTIC when she sees another cat in the yard, so she automatically attacks whoever is sitting next to her, i have heard screams, and found fur on the floor...it's ticking me off severely and im going to take my trap out if it happens again!
it's annoying!

Krysta
09-11-2007, 02:12 PM
I have a big issue with one of mine, none of my cats were ever allowed out, but he is 3 and sneeks out every chance he gets.
He will slide windows open, rip screens, hide behind the door before you open it etc.
Everything he can to get out then here i am chaseing after him.
I am so sick of it that now im going to try caging him everytime I go out so he can try to run out the door.
He is fixed so he won't reproduce but I just don't want him getting sick or hurt.
Now that winters coming I am hoping he will want to stay home but for next year I'm just going to make hime a big cage outside to lay in.

kitty&mimi
09-11-2007, 02:14 PM
if he's that desperate a cage is better than nothing!
mine have stopped bugging me to go outside, never let them in the first place, but gotta give them credit for trying lol

GRUMPY
09-11-2007, 02:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POPPLES RULE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a big issue with one of mine, none of my cats were ever allowed out, but he is 3 and sneeks out every chance he gets.
He will slide windows open, rip screens, hide behind the door before you open it etc.
Everything he can to get out then here i am chaseing after him.
I am so sick of it that now im going to try caging him everytime I go out so he can try to run out the door.
He is fixed so he won't reproduce but I just don't want him getting sick or hurt.
Now that winters coming I am hoping he will want to stay home but for next year I'm just going to make hime a big cage outside to lay in.
</div></div>

Why not tie him up outside like you would a dog?

De Couture
09-12-2007, 12:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: De Couture</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My cat has been missing for three weeks now because my roommate let her out. He also has a cat, and I would hate to think of his reaction if I ever lost his baby.

Anyone seen her or know anything? Silver tabby, white chest and four white paws. She went missing from the Pine-Willoughby area and any information live or dead is helpful to me. I can't sleep at night, and not knowing what happened to her makes me sick.

Check the lost and found forum for a resemblance pic of her...Humane Society has not seen her or picked her up either.

Thanks. </div></div>