PDA

View Full Version : Important: BEWARE of Felv.

xXx
09-09-2007, 10:22 AM
I just found out that my cat has feline lukemia virus (not cancer). This sickness can not be treated and pretty much dooms the cat and increases the risk of cancer or any other sickness. It kills a lot of cats and is the bigest infectious disease out there for cats. I just paid over 700 hundred dollars in vet bills to try to help my cat, now he might even have cancer because of this virus and i have to bring him back in Monday. Only blood work will tell you if they have it or not. I will do anything in the world to help my cat and because I had no clue about this virus, I thought I would let yous know so you can protect your cat. This disease is distributed by saliva and spreads rapidly through cats. There are no symptoms for a few years and is more common in stray cats. So please people stop letting your cats roam free, if infected they will be spreading the virus around out there, or have the risk of getting it themselves. Like I said the only way you will know is through bloodwork, so don't think your cat doesn't have it.

I got my cat from the humane society and he has been an indoor cat only since i had him, but was found a stray before he was brought to the shelter. So he either caught the virus because he was stray or his mother had it. I would recommend getting a blood test or ask about this virus if you decide to get a cat otherwise they end up VERY ill after only a few years of life. It's not nice watching a poor kitty go through it because of some other dumb previous owner being careless and letting it roam free. Note: this disease does not spread to dogs, but households with numerous cats will have it spread to everyone if even one is infected by it

For information:

http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/FeLV/

LadyNina
09-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Yes there is, but sometimes if the mother was a carrier, and handed it down to the kittens, it cannot be prevented. Most of the time, FelV does not show signs until the cat is an adult. Tsk tsk to the owner of the mother cat who did not get the vaccine. 60 dollars could have saved alot of lives.
My heart goes out to you Jack-O-Lantern. It's heartwrenching.

This virus is similar to our Aids virus. You can sometimes treat the symptoms, but cannot cure the disease.

tippikitty
09-09-2007, 12:43 PM
That is very true Yips. My cat just went through that when he was sick. Even though he had all his shots the vet said that he could have caught it from his mother and it not show up until now and there's nothing that his vaccinations would have been able to help with. The vet said he's seeing more and more of that happening and it's hard to track down because most people don't know where the cats mother is from or been.

*Angel*
09-09-2007, 01:24 PM
wow thats scary
Im glad i've decided to get my indoor cat all his shots to help prevent anything from happening to him

xXx
09-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Thank you for your concern yips. I just think there should be some law against people who just let their cats have unplanned kittens that are not vet checked. I love my cat too death and I am going to be very upset if he ever goes. Because of someone's carelessness I am going through a hard time. He will barely eat and is not reacting to meds. I have to hand feed him yogurt. The poor thing is starving itself to death and had fluid in his lungs. Thanks to my vet they are helping the best they can. So to you people out there who are irresponsible pet owners and do not either fix your cat, or make sure it is not spreading this virus...well plainly you should not have a pet at all. I do apologise for my harness but I am very sad over this right now. He is only 3 years old.

tippikitty
09-09-2007, 09:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: **PeAnUt**</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow thats scary
Im glad i've decided to get my indoor cat all his shots to help prevent anything from happening to him
</div></div>

But that doesn't always protect them Peanut. That's the problem, all my cats are indoor with all their shots, but this still can happen. They could get it from their mothers and not even know it until years later. That's the sad part.
So unless you have a purebred and know the genetic history your pretty much S.O.L..

orchid
09-10-2007, 08:10 PM
hope things turn out for the best jack-o-lantern

xXx
09-12-2007, 04:57 AM
Thanks orchid. But i got bad news from the vet yesterday and had to put him down. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I know I had to do it to prevent suffering but I have to live with the reality of the fact that had to make the choice to kill my cat. I am quite torn up and miss him.

tippikitty
09-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Awww that's so sad!!!!! I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Just try to remember you saved him from suffering!

LadyNina
09-12-2007, 08:52 AM
So sorry to hear this. Our thoughts are with you. May your memories last forever.

and, pm to ya.

Mrs.P.
09-12-2007, 01:35 PM
So sad. Thoughts and prayers headed your way.

Please people, this is just one story of the thousands of cases that happen each year. Please vaccinate your animals, whether they are indoor or outdoor pets. It SAVES LIVES.

shadowjak
09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Does he actually have it or has he just been in contact with it. After my two new cats(l year old) were neutered, our vet saw some kind of blisters/ulcers in his mouth that made him want to do bloodwork and I was devastated to find out he tested positive. I was beside myself thinking I would have to have him put to sleep. My vet said Boots should be kept away from my other cats (I have 7 more) We also tested his new "brother" whom we had adopted the same day and he also tested positive but not as much as Boots. I visited my favourite cat forum at About.com. Those ladies have had all kinds of issues to deal with, they rescue, foster etc. and with their help I saw that it was not a death sentence for Bootsie and Patches. I did keep them in separate rooms downstairs away from the other cats, for about two months. During that time we just monitored them and they showed no signs of illness at all. I made the decision to let them upstairs and that was about 4 years ago. If they were to show symptoms, they are really ill and don't last long. I also believe you cannot get the preventative vaccine unless your cat has the bloodwork done to determine if he has been in contact since it can have harmful results. Ms. Ross at the Humane Society said that in her opinion about 90 percent of cats have been in contact with it at some point. Visit About.com cat forum and those ladies will hopefully be able to help you.

http://cats.about.com/

orchid
09-12-2007, 07:14 PM
truly sorry about your loss jack-o-lantern...take comfort in the fact that you spared him a great deal of suffering...you made the kindest decision you could have.