PDA

View Full Version : Fish Experts Needed!

MagicFingers
09-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Ok so I got a new 55 gal fish tank. Now a few weeks before I got the fish tank my fish were in a 10 gal tank and all of a sudden there were eggs. Couldn't figure out which fish layed them. Now I have a 55 gal fish tank with even more fish including the ones that were in the 10 gal. I came home from work and the airpump on my tank is covered in fish eggs. I don't know for sure which fish laid them. But my big question is how do you know if they were fertilized? The reason I ask is cause some of the eggs are like iridescent and some look solid white. Is there a reason for this does that mean some were fertilized? Also My big angel fish is guarding that pump like crazy attacking every fish that goes near it. he/She doesn't appear to be eating the eggs but I don't really know what I should do. here are some pics

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e30/missspunk/furniture004.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e30/missspunk/furniture005.jpg

TPK
09-14-2007, 11:00 PM
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/index.php

Grumpy gave me that site and it's great. Nice people on the forum their and they will probably know if you ask /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

GRUMPY
09-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Personally I don't know, but what I'd do if I were you would be to Google for forums that deal with aquarium, fish etc. and see what they say. I had a whole whack of them but lost them all when I had a system melt down. Most of them are really good and quite helpful.

MagicFingers
09-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys...I already did that. I book marked the site you gave me I will check it out in the morning. Apparently I learned on another site that the eggs are irridescent and if they turn white it means they haven't been fertilized. It days 24-48 hours for this to happen. It appears that most the eggs have turned white. I also learned that I have on male angel fish due to the crown on his head. If anything else happens I will let you know.

GRUMPY
09-15-2007, 09:38 AM
I find it interesting to read those forums and see how a real one is run.

tippikitty
09-15-2007, 10:32 AM
My fish lay eggs every 3 weeks like clock work. They will lay eggs even if there isn't a male around to fertilize them. You are right.....the white ones are ones that are not fertilized so you may not have a male around to do it. The rest depends on what kind of fish the eggs belong to.

MagicFingers
09-15-2007, 03:54 PM
I have no idea what fish layed the eggs. I am pretty sure there is a male angel fish and atleast 1 female angel. As for the others in the tank I don't know if they are males or females. I am assuming the two grommies (SP?) I have are 1 male 1 female. but don't have a clue about the others. I will just have to keep watching. But the male angel fish is sure protecting those unfertilized eggs. So what happens to the eggs if they aren't fertilized. The other fish eat them? do they just degrade in the water or get sucked up? Shoudl I clean them out or let the filters and fish do that?

tippikitty
09-15-2007, 04:05 PM
They will get eaten.

everywoman
09-15-2007, 09:34 PM
MagicFingers....I've sent you a PM with my phone number. My husband would be happy to answer any question you may have! He's a bit of a fish fanatic, but Tippi is also right on track too!

MagicFingers
09-16-2007, 09:47 AM
yep they were eaten woke up and the tank is clean. Got you PM everywoman...Thanks.