PDA

View Full Version : how can i keep my cockatiel quiet?

orchid
09-16-2007, 07:38 PM
anyone have any suggestions on how i can keep my cockatiel quiet during the day while i am at work? apparently he screams all day long and it is starting to annoy my new neighbours. covering him up doesn't work; rotating his toys doesn't work; giving him extra millet and treats doesn't work...i can't leave him loose all day because i am affraid of one of my two cats getting him... i don't want to have to get rid of him but if i can't keep him quiet during the day i'm affraid my neighbours will complain to the landlord and i will have to give him up. any suggestions would be appreciated.

TPK
09-16-2007, 07:47 PM
have you tried playing the radio or leaving the tv on for company?

orchid
09-16-2007, 07:53 PM
yeah i have tried the radio...i think he just tries to compete with the music...he recently started whistling a tune i hadn't heard before.... TV is no good as i don't have cable. thanks for the suggestion though.

katste11
09-16-2007, 08:15 PM
What about getting another cockatiel for a companion? Maybe he is lonely?

hp2
09-16-2007, 09:15 PM
lmao ok not to high jack but the title on the main page is funny!!

How can I keep my c o c k ? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

*Angel*
09-16-2007, 10:12 PM
lol
ya thats all i read too...hahaha

Muse
09-17-2007, 02:04 PM
He could be lonely, being all by himself all day. If he's screaming loud enough for the neighbours to hear him, it's probably a flock call - trying to find his flock (you) and make it come back. They're extremely social birds and don't like being alone.

He could need different toys. Mine all get Foraging Toys (http://www.squawkstore.com/store/index.php?cPath=1_11). You put seeds and treats and they have to figure out and work at getting to the tasty food. Tiels also tend to be fond of Preening Toys (http://www.squawkstore.com/store/index.php?cPath=1_13). They're fun to chew and pull apart.

Make sure he has a large variety of perches (http://www.squawkstore.com/store/index.php?cPath=162). Sandy Perches, Pedicure perches, natural branch perches, rope perches, all different sizes and varieties. Those small round wooden ones that often come with cages aren't very good and tend to make bird feet sore and let nails overgrow. They need a fairly large variety for proper exercise. If he's uncomfortable that could cause him to yell.

Covering his cage is a really bad idea. Covering them up during the day confuses and upsets them. You'll likely end up with either a really neurotic parrot, or a very fearful one.

Also how big is his cage? If it's smaller than 24x24x24, he doesn't have enough room, and that could also result in the yelling.

nowNzen
09-17-2007, 03:35 PM
This is a perfect time of the year to examine finding driftwood and other tree branches to place about the apartment and the notion of stuffed toys is vital placed about the apartment and in his cage, in various sizes and shapes (preferrably birds) will pose as a big treat to him/her. Value Village is an ideal shopping spot for the stuffed toys, inexpensive et al.... also, stuffed toys are washable and safe in that regard.

When you go away for the work-day, perhaps you could place him/her in your bedroom where he may fly about freely, sit at the windowsill (a great place to wedge a piece of driftwood/tree branch for the Tiel to perch upon. And leave his/her cage in your bedroom, with it's door ajar, so the Tiel knows their home base is near by with it's water and nummies, etc.,

If the bedroom is used as a daytime refuge for your Tiel, while you are away, the door can be closed -- even secured with an outer door latch, so as to prevent any accidents or preying visits by your cats, in your absence. In this situation your cats would still have the majority of the apartment to themselves while you are gone, and the Tiel, has a fair sized space /room/ to itself. Some people use their bathrooms as a free-range(ing) room area for their Birds, when they are away.

The bizz with leaving a radio on in your absence, is usually effective, in so much as it offers alternative sounds /impressions/ for the Tiel to absorb during the daytime hours you are not present for it to absorb human-Tiel exchanges.
The TYPE of music and human voice experiences is equally as critical to consider.. there is one station locally you might wish to consider as it plays primarily classical selections all through the day, beginning at 0900 hrs through to 4:00pm, with gentle even-flowed moderaters /announcers/. No shock-jock stuff!
Zoos and Oronthology Centres use classical music as well. Give 98.3 FM a try! And it would work well, using a small radio in your bedroom, if you try the bedroom suggestion, as your Tiel's sanctuary when you are away.

Also, you might consider those "relaxation" cassettes which feature BIRDS or tropical forest sound tracks to pop into a cassette player and play it at a soft volume for your Bird, when you are gone through the day.

Finally, much like one of the earlier posters, another Tiel to companion your cockatiel might be the absolute answer to resolve your bird's unorchestrated vocalizations and therein your neighbour's complaints! There is a woman, who resides on McNabb, who breeds cockatiels and also has adult cockatiels for sale, from time to time. She is reasonable, and a baby cockatiel may be too small and too young for your adult Tiel to accept and socialize with.. so maybe an older or more mature Tiel would be the way to go to see if this offers up a remedy. It will also necessitate a LARGER sized cage to house them. You could check with the Humane Society about finding a less expensive larger cage as often they know where to find such things at decent prices.

Wishing you all the best...

kuietgrl (got lost)
09-17-2007, 07:33 PM
If you don't want another Tiel, a plain old Budgie would probably work, too. I had a couple Budgies that my Tiel LOVED to sing and talk to. He'd hang off the side of their cage dancing and talking away to them.

Just a warning if you do decide to get another Tiel...you might want to keep them in separate cages. They can become very attached to eachother and become aggressive with you when you try to handle them.

orchid
09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
i know his cage is plenty big enough, and he has a wonderful variety of perches and toys...he isn't even quiet during his evening free flight time anymore.
i definitely don't want two birds plus the cats and dog...i have had two tiels at a time before and they were every bit as noisy, and much more messy! and i really don't have the room for a second cage.
i'll try different music and lower volume...
i'm hoping i will be able to solve this problem. if not i may be looking for a new home for the bird.
thanks for the suggestions, i really do appreciate it...

TPK
09-18-2007, 11:49 AM
what about a tropical rain forest CD? Maybe then he wouldn't be screaming and just "singing"?