PDA

View Full Version : DOGS AND TSTORMS.

IMHO
09-18-2007, 08:35 AM
My 7 year old australian shepherd does not like t storms. I feel badly for her. She paces,pants and trembles continually. Is there anything that they can be given to relieve the anxiety?
Has anyone found anything that works to help them?

DogsRule
09-18-2007, 09:18 AM
You have to recondition her to be good around them, it does take quite a bit of work.

There are CD's you can buy for things like that as well.

http://linda.lawrie.com/Articles/TStormIssues.htm

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/299720/fear_of_thunderstorms_help_your_dog.html

http://www.serenitysupply.com/detail_10071.htm

Sara
09-18-2007, 09:38 AM
I had an Australian Shepherd for 15 years who was terrified of storms as well. He paced, panted, shivered, jumped on furniture to snuggle into my dad's lap or my side (was not allowed on the furniture normally), he'd whine like crazy and we never did break him of that. He did it his whole life. I sympathize with you, it's hard to see them so frightened. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

TPK
09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
I agree with Dogsrule...Our dog slept through the entire storm last night. What I did was when I was doing house work I turned my "storm" cd on and each time I turned it on I made it louder and just went about my business like it was nothing. Adventually the dog just slept on the couch while I cleaned or came around the house with me like every other day. It might sound a bit funny but it really does work.

Lollypop
09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Our 12 year old poodle slept like a baby, our 10 year old shepx was terrified. This is the first time during a storm that I have seen her like this, heavy panting, pacing, trying to hide.
I worked aft yesterday so I was still up around 1, she couldn't seem to get close enough to me.
She does have anxiety issues but only when she is alone.

kitca
09-18-2007, 04:44 PM
winston is the first dog ive had to react like that to storms. none of the othres did. i try not to make a big deal of it at all, but give him a little more attention. he does the same thing, paces, and shivers and hunkers down trying to hide. that cd is very interesting. ive read somewhere that some dogs react to the electrical (sp?) charges in the air and it makes their hair and skin tingle and bother them. but i dont know if it was a wivestail or theory or what.

A*lil*Loopy
09-18-2007, 05:43 PM
I think the idea of using a storm cd is wonderful. My old girl used to be terrified as well, we would comfort her and just let her be close to us. She also hated gun shots, fireworks and anything with a loud rumble to it including garbage trucks.

Wish I had thought of using a storm recording, would've made life easier for her.
Near the end, she was going deaf but I would leave a light on for her and play the radio so she couldn't hear the thunder.

GRUMPY
09-18-2007, 06:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kitca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">winston is the first dog ive had to react like that to storms. none of the othres did. i try not to make a big deal of it at all, but give him a little more attention. he does the same thing, paces, and shivers and hunkers down trying to hide. that cd is very interesting. ive read somewhere that some dogs react to the electrical (sp?) charges in the air and it makes their hair and skin tingle and bother them. but i dont know if it was a wivestail or theory or what. </div></div>

Nice killer you got there.