PDA

View Full Version : QMJHL Beating the OHL

GenX
09-21-2007, 06:34 PM
The QMJHL is beating the OHL, at least in marketing strategy. They offer live webcasts of some games. Meanwhile, the OHL still makes you pay six dollars to watch their games on the 'net.

Granted, six dollars isn't going to make or break anyone...but it's the principle of it all. One league is offering its product to new fans who enjoy junior hockey but cannot get to games. The OHL is making people pay.

Seems to me the QMJHL is way ahead of the OHL in this respect.

Striker
09-21-2007, 08:33 PM
The OHL will only begin to make changes once Dave Branch retires or dies. (it's the only way it will see a new commissioner)

Koss
09-28-2007, 01:49 PM
From what I've heard, the OHL internet games have been a huge success and a viable revenue stream. I'm sure the Q will follow. Like a good drug dealer, you give a little away for free then get'em hooked (so I've heard).

For the record, I have a season pass to watch the Hounds on the road on the internet and it's well worth the $70 a year.

Cereal Killer
09-28-2007, 05:08 PM
How is the quality of that Koss? i ordered a few games a few years back and the quality was terrible.

GenX
09-28-2007, 05:51 PM
I bought a few games last year, on the per-game pass, and thought the quality was pretty good. It's not NHL quality by any means, but it serves its purpose.

LSSU hockey has a similar deal with "B2 Network" in the states, but I only attempted that once. I paid $6.95 for a game, Lake State v. UM (or so I thought), and at 7:00 pm they feed me Lowell v. Worcester in the AHL! Then B2 wouldn't even refund my money!

I'll never deal with those clowns again. Luckily Lake State is on TV seven times this year, so I won't have to rely on Internet broadcasts so much.

Super Gram
10-02-2007, 05:33 AM
My daughter watched the OHL games on the net last year. But she has it hooked up through her daughters laptop to their 52 inch TV and its great.

Koss
10-02-2007, 11:47 AM
The quality is getting better. Last year, there were numerous problems with some games already paid for not being available. So far this year, there hasn't been anything like that. If the team has a tv broadcast, you usually get that on the internet feed which is better. If a team like the Hounds doesn't have a tv broadcast you get the house video (However, with the new scoreboard and multiple camera's in the house, the house feed is getting much better for those who can't get to the Hounds home game and want to watch the game on the internet instead.

GRUMPY
10-10-2007, 08:06 PM
To tell the truth the Lakers are a far better team than most in the OHL and given a choice between them and the Hounds I'd watch the Lakers every time.

GenX
10-21-2007, 01:01 PM
That's interesting.

I always thought the level of play in the CHL was better than U.S. college hockey, though the gap has certainly tightened between the two, as even CHL officials will tell you.

What makes Laker hockey better than Hounds hockey in your opinion, Grumpy?

GRUMPY
10-22-2007, 01:25 AM
Much, much faster plus the refs are a much higher caliber than those in the juniors. I was at the Hounds game tonight and even though they won the refing was about as bad as it gets.

GenX
10-22-2007, 05:28 PM
And here I thought, when I went to a Hounds game last year, it was faster than NCAA hockey.

Something strange is going on. Our perceptions are being clouded by something.

GRUMPY
10-22-2007, 11:02 PM
could be which teams we got to see.

Koss
10-23-2007, 12:01 PM
I enjoy both the OHL(CHL) and the NCAA hockey. But they are two different games. First of all the players are much older in the NCAA but I think the good old fashion hockey that I love is in the OHL and the NCAA is a bit more finess. The OHL has the better talent but college is quickly catching up.

Either way, I love development hockey.