PDA

View Full Version : Infection in dogs

Sophie's_Mommy
09-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Ok , now yes he is going to be going to the vet but here's the question.
My dog got bit by another dog, a week ago, tonight i just noticed that a big soft lump that moves around when i touched it, in the same spot the bite occurred. Which means it is a infection. I have some amoxicillin- clavulin pills which are pills to reduce infection and prevent it. Can they be used on dogs? i heard u can and vets use amoxicillin on dogs but i m not sure if it would be the same thing. If it can be used on dogs i will give him some of it but i want to make sure its ok first, so i was wondering if anyone here knew?

DogsRule
09-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Amoxicillan is used on dogs yes, and yes, it is the same thing. I dont know about the clavulin. I wouldnt use it.

I will also use the amoxicillan in my house if it is lower doses. And I only use straight amox.

Oh, and my dog got one of those too, the big bumps that move. There is a scar right over the bump, I took him to the vet, she figures its a blood bubble in a way. Try a hot compress. That's what she told me.

Sophie's_Mommy
09-25-2007, 12:35 AM
oh ok, see the amoxicillin i have has the clavulin in it, so i guess it woulden t be a good idea then. Thanks for the info though /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DogsRule
09-25-2007, 12:40 AM
No problemo!

I went to Ontario, came back and my dog had a couple scars on him. Then a week or two later he developed the EXACT same kind of bump.

What she said was "because it is moving around and squishy, it is probably on the skin and is more then likely a blood bubble of some sort. If it gets bigger bring him back and if it goes away great. You can also try a hot compress on him to bring down the swelling".

She also said its possible that he got bit then hit something. The dummy is always running into stuff, so it wouldnt suprise me.

But since there is a scar right above it, its quite possible that it is a blood bubble. I quite literally just had him @ the vet.

DogsRule
09-26-2007, 03:47 PM
How's the bump doing? My dogs bump is almost gone now, it's been a week that he's had it.

Sophie's_Mommy
09-27-2007, 07:52 PM
i gave him some amoxicillin and the bump is petty much all gone.