PDA

View Full Version : Good Website

DogsRule
09-25-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.mothersagainstdogchaining.org/

kuietgrl (got lost)
09-25-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm completely against chaining dogs, but I can't help but wonder where the parents/guardians are when these kids get attacked? I mean, I know chained dogs are a LOT more aggressive, but where were the parents?

DogsRule
09-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Unfortunately not enough people are educated when it comes to safety around animals and they don't pass that down to their kids until something bad happens.

But that's why organizations like these are popping up! Dog bites don't HAVE to happen!

kuietgrl (got lost)
09-25-2007, 03:16 PM
True.

Funny the main story is about Great Danes. Well, I guess funny isn't the word...

It just proves that even "nice" breeds go bad. And chaining them up doesn't help! (or maybe that's the cause of some problems?)

DogsRule
09-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Chaining a dog is the cause of a lot of issues.

LadyNina
09-25-2007, 04:24 PM
We have an outdoor run for Dakota (shepherd/husky mix). Also, we chain her up in the yard, and she runs free in the yard. She doesn't leave the yard, but if we aren't outside with her, we tie her. She is absolutely socialized to the max, and has had ample obedience training and so forth, and would usually never hurt a fly.
BUT, when she is tied, she is totally agressive. She loves the mail man when she's loose, and doesn't even pay attention to him when she's in her fenced enclosure. But, on the chain, you'd think she was going to eat him.

I agree. Dogs should never be chained for very long. It's psychological effects that happen, and unfortunately, it adds to making them cross.

DogsRule
09-25-2007, 04:52 PM
I should show you guys what could happen with a tied dog. A friend of mine had a shutzhund German Shepherd. BIG DOG.

She tied him to a tree with a horse rope, just to give a demo. She also filmed it. He circled ONCE and went and the rope snapped in 1/2 and went after whoever it was that was bugging him. Yes she did it on purpose and yes, everything had safety in mind. No one was hurt.

IT ONLY TAKES ONE SECOND FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN. And ANY dog, I don't care whose dog it is or how wonderful they are, have the potential to a) bite, and b) do damage and possibly c) kill a person wether infant or adult.

With reading all this stuff, may I suggest you go and fully read the Dog Gone Safe Website? http://www.doggonesafe.com this website as well as no chained dogs goes beautifully hand in hand.

Educate yourself folks! I really hate to hear of dog bites, it makes me very sad to think that it would or could have been prevented with just a little education!

DogsRule
09-25-2007, 04:53 PM
btw YIPS, that wasn't directed at you /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

You know me, I just go on and on /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Though, maybe today someone educated themselves from my rants heh.

DogsRule
09-25-2007, 04:57 PM
ouu ya, one more thing. you know folks, this doesn't JUST apply to dog owners! Yes the majority of children are bit by their OWN dogs, but ALL people should educate themselves on how to be safe around dogs! EVERYONE! You never know when a dog will come out of no where, so don't put a blind eye to it please!

LadyNina
09-25-2007, 05:03 PM
No offence taken lol. My son grew up pretty much with Dakota, and not for one minute would I ever let him alone with her, let alone anyone else. On or off leash, chain, or whatever.

I think its grrrreat that you educate the public. I do what I can also with my customers. Those bookmarks are coming in handy /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Unfortunately, some people find out the hard way.

leafs93
09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Okay not to offend anyone but I feel the need to post this. Any dog can be aggresive, Any dog has the potential to bite. Chained, not chained. My dog is on a cable that runs one hundred feet, and hooked to that cable is another 30 foot line(this line is the one hooked to her collar). She sits and watches the world go by. Meanwhile I have had my dog and husband attacked by an unchained dog (this dog was never chained in his lifetime and yet he still attacked humans and animals up to the day he was put to sleep)

Also I have had my dog taunted by passerbys, kids throwing rocks, teenagers lunging and yelling at her at the end of the driveway, people making kicking motions as we walk on the sidewalk. Human error has alot to do with dogs attacking, saying a chained dog will be aggresive is like saying all pit bulls will kill. And we all know how much bulls*it that last statement is.

DogsRule
09-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Actually, from a behavioral stand point. A chained dog, or a dog constantly kept in a run for that matter, can develop the "invisible line syndrome" where they pace that "invisible line".

I've seen it ONE too many times (and yes, once is enough for me, unfortunately I have seen and had to deal with it more then that).

Yes, a dog can be aggressive no matter the circumstances, however, there are other things that contribute to this. Have you ever seen how a caged wolf paces? Yes, the betch probably wants to eat you but at the same time, many of them develop the invisible line.

I'll see if I can find some articles on my computer about it to explain it better.

leafs93
09-25-2007, 07:27 PM
I can see dogs that live their entire life, day upon day ONLY knowing a chained lifestyle would develop an "invisible" line. You say a caged wolf, yes I can see that, zoo animals and caged animals exhibit the stress of enclosure by the pacing.

When I see a dog that lives it's entire life chained to a three foot chain and a bare patch worn down where he can get to, It saddens me. But I am not going to bet my money that only chained dogs are aggresive. Just in my small block that I live in we have many loose aggresive dogs. Schnauzers, Golden Retrievers, poodles, pomeranians.....never seen the end of a chain, let alone the end of a leash that will take a bite out of you quicker than lightning. Most of them will leave their yard and chase you down the street on your heels.......uummmm where are the owners???? Human error.

We have chained dogs that get excersized daily, have a house to go into at night ( instead of spending their nights chained outside where some people feel a dog is suppost to be all it's life) that don't even look when you pass their house.

Also there are chained dogs that will choke themselves silly at the end of the chain. Again where are the owners to stop, or calm the dog and teach him that behaving like that is not acceptable?

All I am saying is not ALL chained dogs are aggresive. To begin to think that way and condemn chained dogs is not right. People need to educate themselves on dog body language, proper greeting techniques ( how many people have you seen start out approaching a strange dog the wrong way?). Last thing I want to see is people learning to fear dogs in a new way. I am so tired of dogs in general getting a bad rap. Be afraid of loose dogs, be afraid of chained dogs, be afraid of certain breeds.....The scare tactics need to stop.....and education need to start.

DogsRule
09-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Oh, I know and I totally agree, there are so many different situations. I was just talking about the invisible line itself.

I teach safety to school children and adults in the service industry about how to be safe around dogs among so many other things.

Education DOES need to start, and there are so many of us out there TRYING to get people to listen. Some people need the scare tatics or they just don't care /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif IT is super sad. And I totally agree, it is humans who mess up dogs, not the dogs themselves. Trust me, I live to educate.

But the dog gone safe website does actually talk about proper body language and such, and it WILL tell you what a safe dog looks like in comparison to a dangerous dog, and what to watch for when you see a dog.

But as far as the invisible line goes, I'll dig through everything, I'd like for everyone to see it. It isn't just dogs who spend their whole lives on chains.

We are a long way from being where I'd like to see pet ownership, but we're getting there..even if it is slowly.

Evangeline
09-26-2007, 02:54 PM
my family's pet rottweiler broke chains all the time, really thick heavy ones, if he really wanted off he would get off, his chains were the 1" loops and I saw him break a new one in half on his second lunge at someone, he wasn't good with stangers. He wasn't chained very often, for that reason, but whenever he was on it he always turned into one of those jumpy dogs, you couldn't walk by without him wanting to have his paws in your face! "petmepetmepet let me off!!!!"

Being tied up really changes some dogs, they go from being calm to jumpy and sometimes agressive, from frustration and being bored.