PDA

View Full Version : I am at a loss cause I don't know what to do

lynys
09-26-2007, 03:01 PM
One of my cats has started peeing all over the house. On the bathmats (and my clothes which I left on the floor in the washroom), in front of the litter box, on the floor in the kitchen and in the bathtub.

She is 7 years old, and has only been doing this for (in front of the litter box anyway) for approximately 2 months.

Things that have changed in the home? Ex left about 7 months ago and we moved twice since then. (last time being five months ago)

Is there any reason in particular she would be doing this? It is only a little spotting thatshe is doing around the house..... hardcore peeing in front of the box though. Box is kept very clean.

Between work and the other cats, I don't know how much of this I can tolerate.

Edited to add: the peeing around the house is a very recent thing.... pretty much the past week. However, the peeing on the carpet in front of litter box is ongoing.

TPK
09-26-2007, 03:28 PM
maybe she has a bladder infection? I don't know what vet you go to but mine will do a urine test without seeing the animal if you ask.

lynys
09-26-2007, 03:34 PM
I just thought of another change.... My boyfriend has been staying over here fairly often. Possibly thinking maybe she is kinda not liking that very much???

Mr & Mrs Allyyyzkat
09-26-2007, 03:36 PM
it could be the stress of everythings that u have gone thru but its hard to say really

MagicFingers
09-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I went through the exact same thing last year. My cat had never done this sort of stuff before but then another cat started hanging around the house and she was ticked. I did my research and was pretty sure she was anxious about the other cat. Your issue could just be so many changes in such a short period of time. So anyways we did the testing to make sure there was no bladder infection, they also took xrays. Everything cost me about $500. I didn't think we needed all those tests and just wanted her on an anti anxiety med. The vet said no. I changed vets and took the file to him and asked for the meds. He gave them to me, and she stopped peeing. She was on the meds for about 6months, me moved back to the sault which was a 9 hour drive moved into my parents house she was confined to the basement, I kept her on the meds during this time, for which she had one peeing incident. We moved into our new house and within 2 months of moving into the house I slowly weened her off the meds and now she is completely off and having no peeing issues. I highly suggest you try giving her the meds will probably save you a lot of money. if you talk to your vet ask them for Clomicalm My cat was on Clomicalm 5mg tab 1/2 tab daily. Of course the doses can be played with as needed according to the vets instructions. This med did not change my cat's personality at all just made her less anxious and she didn't pee anymore. There are also these GLADE like plug ins that you can get that release cat phermones but they are expensive. I haven't used them but some vets will push for this before the meds because of course they will make more money off of these then the meds. The meds come to about 38$ for 30 pills, which last about 2 months depending on how often you need to administer them. Which is heck of a lot cheaper then dealing with the costly cleanup of cat pee.

LadyNina
09-26-2007, 04:46 PM
I always suggest seeing a Vet just in case it's medical. BUT, that being said, you can rule out a urinary infection with this new litter that's available. (as long as you can get the cat to go pee in it), it changes color if the cat has any blood in their urine, meaning usually a bladder infection.

Here's a link: http://www.thecatconnection.com/page/TCC/PROD/LTR-2114

Hope that helps. I mean, it's always better to see a Vet, but you can at least find out if there's an infection, saving you alot of money.

DogsRule
09-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Ou cool

DogsRule
09-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Yips, do you know how guaranteed that is? Kinda seems like the idea behind pregnancy tests and can give you false negatives and stuff.

lynys
09-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Do you carry this Yips? Or,are you able to get it in?

Also wanted to add... she SOMETIMES goes in the box. Sometimes doesn't.

I changed the mat that is in front of the box, cause I know it obviously had the ammonia smell. So, I'll see how this goes. Could be that the tracking from the box kinda ground itself in and as a result, she peed there cause it smelled?

I dunno. Reaching I guess.

LadyNina
09-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Well, probably not 100 percent guarantee. It's not like doing a urine test at the Vet. BUT, we've had it for maybe a year or so, and alot of feedback from customers tells me that it's darn good. It starts as a beige(ish) color, and it it has a tinge of pink or red, it means that there is blood in the urine.

lynys, have you changed your laundry detergent lately? Alot of the liquid ones contain ammonia, and they actually encourage the cat to mark on them. Just thought I'd ask just in case. Sometimes people don't realize that anything with ammonia to a cat smells like another cat, and they mark their territory.

lynys
09-26-2007, 07:46 PM
No. I've been using those Oxy Clean balls for about a year and a bit now.

What is it like odour wise? I have been using pine litters cause they do alot to destroy odour. And, have that foresty scent. lol

And, as I sit here right now, she is actually using a litter box, so I dunno.

orchid
09-26-2007, 08:03 PM
i'm no expert, but i agree with yips and chocolate lover... its probably stress related but it would probably be a good idea to take the cat to the vet for a checkup... maybe they can offer a solution to the problem. my cat has been peeing in places she shouldn't for a while now...not often, just every once in a while, and it is frustrating... she's been checked and medical reasons have been ruled out... but i'm still not sure why she does it... maybe just has a bad day now and then... unless it gets really frequent i try not to let it get to me, just another part of pet ownership.

lynys
09-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Well, I just caught her in the act of peeing on an accent pillow that was beside my bed. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

And, found she also had pulled some clothes that were in a basket off the pile and had peed on them.

I am seriously going to lose it in a second.

A*lil*Loopy
09-26-2007, 08:18 PM
You are going to keep guessing and end up driving yourself crazy wondering. Talk to a vet, get a urine test done. I lost a cat years ago, he was peeing in random places, ended up putting him down because they believed it was feline leukemia and I didn't know any better at the time.

A urine test is not going to cost you $500, but it will answer questions and then you can look for accurate ways to deal with the cat. I've also had a cat who was just angry who peed on random things, we tested, and were able to change things so she wasn't stressed and ticked off at us.

It would be unfair to be angry at the cat if it is medical so a trip to the vet most likely would be wise.

Sara
09-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Wouldn't hurt to set her up in a big crate for now either, till you know how you're going to attack the problem. Make sure she's got a litter box, food/water and a blanket in there and confine her any of the time that you aren't having a cuddle so that you don't have to keep cleaning up messes. Some may think it's mean but I think it would be better in the long run...especially if your other cats decide to mark over her scent after a while. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Good luck though and hope the vet narrows it down for you.

MagicFingers
09-26-2007, 09:14 PM
No a simple urine test won't cost $500 but if the vet wants to do extensive tests the way they did with mine it will cost that much. That's what happened to me. If you determine that it is anxiety, the meds can and do really work. My cat is now off all meds and not peeing. My cat had been peeing in corners, getting in clothes baskets, peeing on pillows, peeing on towels. She even detroyed the bathroom rugs. Ever since she was on the meds she peed twice but not once since i weened her off. So it really did work. Of course you have to discuss this with your vet.

Mrs.P.
09-27-2007, 12:10 AM
It would be worth it to either have the Vet check the urine, or try the litter. In any event, the longer you wait, the worse it will become if it is indeed a sickness. A friend of mine had a male cat that had this infection in his bladder. She waited, not knowing for sure. She tried all sorts of remedys before approaching a Vet, and by then it was so badly infected, they had to give him a sex change, and turn him into a female. After that surgery which ran in the thousand dollar range, the cat was okay, but had to take meds for the rest of its life. It cost her a fortune.
But, had she gone to the Vet earlier, it would have saved the cat from a ton of pain, and would have saved her a ton of money.

I've heard about that litter before. It's pretty popular in southern Ontario. If you can't get into a Vet, seriously you should consider trying it. Maybe the cat doesn't like the pine?

Evangeline
09-27-2007, 01:11 AM
For the smell there is stuff made by Hartz in a purple bottle that works amazing, it took the smell out of a spot in my carpet, I had tried so many things and it worked so well I was shocked.

My cat was also urinating all over the place, but I got her spayed and it stopped.

I would keep all your doors shut and confine her to a smaller area, at least stop letting her in your room.

leafs93
09-27-2007, 05:14 PM
I noticed you posted twice yesterday once at 6:46 saying you cat was using the litterbox and then at 7:09 saying your cat was peeing on an accent pillow. I honestly think you should get your cat to the vet. The cat may have a FLUTD, feline lower urniary tract disease and it is causing pain and discomfort for your cat. Painfull urination can cause your cat to avoid the litterbox as they associate it with the pain and look elsewhere to pee. If your cat is frequently urinating they need to have medical attention. The first thing the vet will check when you tell them the cats behavior is for a bladder infection and that test does not cost 500.00 dollars. It is quick and you probably will leave the building with medication in your hand. I do believe I paid under one hundred dollars and that was including the medication which was 30 bucks.

lynys
09-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Since I last posted...

cat has not peed anywhere BUT the box. What I did was take the cover off (yep, they are covered) and put cardboard boxes there as steps into the boxes (cause they are pretty deep)

She has absolutely no problem using them now.

Looks like it was one of those weird cat things. Maybe she is clautrophobic now or something... ???