PDA

View Full Version : Negative election campaigns

Return of Too Many Daves
09-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Okay so I was wondering if the campaign I'm witnessing locally is normal? Of course negative campaigning is becoming more common back home but I've never seen anything like this.

From the TV campaigns all I can say is that Dalton McGuinty (spelling?) breaks a lot of promises. Actually I think his rivals' campaigns have done little to raise their own profile.

KDawg
09-26-2007, 06:40 PM
McGuinty (Liberal) does break a lot of promises. His all-time greatest was the Ontario health premium. This monstrosity is anywhere between $300 and $900. In 2003 he promised not to raise taxes, but after being elected, he immediately introduced the health tax.

BTW, it's not negative campaigning if what you point out about your opponent is accurate. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

KDawg
09-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I should add, that at the same time, McGuinty delisted services like physical therapy and eye exams from OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan), yet sex changes are covered.

09-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Well he promised not to raise taxes, he didn't say anything about introducing new taxes.

KDawg
09-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Good point. I think. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

09-27-2007, 09:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Return of Too Many Daves</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually I think his rivals' campaigns have done little to raise their own profile. </div></div>

When you have little new or improved to offer, all that you are left with is to run down your opponent. "Negative" campaigning results from bringing nothing "positive" to the table.

09-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Is anyone else here old enough to remember paying OHIP premiums? Not that I'm excusing McGuinty raising health tax (which it is) on working people, but this is really nothing new and not near the crisis people want to make it. Maybe if they hadn't got rid of the payroll deduction in the first place, things like chiropractic, physio and eye visits could have stayed in the system a bit longer.