PDA

View Full Version : Fees to Adopt at the Humane Society

Mrs.P.
09-26-2007, 11:01 PM
I've started this post in this section, as opposed to answering on a post in the Pets section about the pets that are available at the HS.
Not that there is any complaining (yet) on that thread about the costs of adopting at our shelter, but I have read in the past of alot of people complaining about the "expensive" prices.
Not to get into what the shelter ALONE spends on these animals in medical fees, food, shelter and so forth. Look at these following links of places in Ontario, and their fees. You may think twice about it being expensive here:

Cambridge: Dogs: $265.00. $100 spay/neuter rebate, which is returned to you once you have your pet spayed/neutered at your veterinarian. Includes first vaccine, bordetella, deworming, care of ears and nails, Revolution, an AVID Microchip, and 6 weeks of Pet Plan insurance coverage. The adoption fee for dogs which are already spayed/neutered is $265.00.
Cats: $165.00 - includes first vaccine, deworming, care of ears and nails, Revolution, an AVID Microchip, Feluk/FIV Testing, 6 weeks of Pet Plan insurance coverage, and a certificate covering cost of spay/neuter (if applicable).
http://spca.cambridgeweb.net/adoption.html

Etobicoke: ADOPTION FEES:

CATS - SPAYED/NEUTERED $75.00

KITTENS $75.00*

DOGS SPAYED/NEUTERED $150.00 - $175.00
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/cdhs.html

I also googled tons of other shelters in Ontario. I won't add any more copy-n-paste sites, see for yourselves. It's cheap to adopt a pet here. Just think of what you're getting. A life long companion. You're saving a life, You're NOT supporting back yard breeders, NOT supporting puppy mills. You are helping to control the pet over population.

Please, if you are considering a new pet, adopt from the HS, or the Animal Assistance place.
Put your personal feelings aside for some of the workers you don't like at the shelter. AND DO IT FOR THE ANIMALS.
Thank you. Rant over

GRUMPY
09-27-2007, 05:26 AM
Funny you should post this now as I was just reading the online version of the paper from Kenora and was blown away at what they were charging, which is comparable to those you listed.

Mrs.P.
09-29-2007, 10:26 PM
We were there the other day dropping off some old blankets and outgrown collars. What a shame. So many really nice dogs and cats, and yet still people choose to pay umteen hundred dollars for mutts from backyard breeders who refuse to spay and neuter their animals. What a shame. It should be illegal.

GRUMPY
09-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Actually I guess it all boils down to being a snob. I worked with a guy R.F. who if asked about his dog one of the first things out of his mouth would be how much it cost. The most I ever paid was $200 for a mutt from the pound (he needed work done on his eye) other than that it was the basic amount,the last being $30. Of them all there was never enough money to buy them off me once they got home.

TPK
09-30-2007, 08:15 AM
it's not about how much you pay for your dog. It's about being a responcible pet owner. If you want to get a purebred dog make sure you go to a repritable breeder. We've had lots of posts here about what a repretable breeder is. If you get a dog from the HS make sure you get a dog that is going to fit into your life style. And in all of the above cases ALWAYS spay or neuter your dog/cat so that we can stop discussing all the unwanted animals at the HS. I am always taking things in there for them. I can't take much but, whenever I get something we can't use that's the first place it goes. I'm sure if I lived in a house I'd have 3 dogs and 20 cats by now. Everytime I go in I want to go home with one.

orchid
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
i saw a beautiful husky mix there, i think his name was buddy...he seemed really sweet. if i lived in a house with a yard instead of my appartment i would definitely have taken him home with me...my dog would love a playmate more her size...hopefully he doesn't end up there for too long.

A*lil*Loopy
10-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Personally, I'm not allowed to go in there.....my house is already full.
Saving a life from the HS I agree is for the animals, not the people. I'd be lost without Harry who came from the HS, best darn pugsitter I could ever have.

And on a good note!.....
Dozer, one of our purebred Pugs, is going to get neutered on the 25th, yipeee! Now the girls just need spayed, then I've done my part for pet population.

GRUMPY
10-05-2007, 10:51 PM
I hear you, when I drop off stuff I refuse to go in the back room to see who they have. I can't take any but I want them all and find it a real downer.