PDA

View Full Version : Need Motherboard info, plus CPU clocking question.

Kesler84
09-28-2007, 10:44 AM
First off, A while ago someone on here gave me a link to a program to tell me info on my mother board. What i want to know about it is if I have AGP or PCI-E slots (im pretty sure its AGP) and what speed the slots can handle.

Also, I was looking at a Bios info program, and it says My CPU is clocked at 1800Mhz (its a 1.8Ghz so yea makes sense) but then it says Maximum clock 3700mhz. Is this recommendable to upclock it? how much will it affect my computers performance and how do i do it?

\m/ Rich \m/
09-28-2007, 12:48 PM
depends on what kind of motherboard you have.. and is it a dual core chip??

Killswitch
09-28-2007, 12:53 PM
The maximum clock you are seeing is likely the highest CPU speed "supported" by you motherboard, NOT the highest speed "capable" by your current CPU. You can overclock your processor but it'll never reach 3.7Ghz.

Cruel_Intentions
10-01-2007, 11:40 AM
How much you can overclock depends on what type of cooling, your motherboard and related components (ram, voltage regulators, etc), and your individual processor.

If you have stock cooling, you won't be able to go too high. If it's the E4300 (which is likely as it's the only Core2Duo clocked at exactly 1.8Ghz), then you should be able to reach 2.5-2.7Ghz on stock cooling/stock voltage. If you have aftermarket cooling and are able to increase the voltage, then you can usually hit around 3.1-3.4Ghz with those chips.

I currently have aftermarket cooling (Arctic Freezer 7 Pro) and an E4300 and I have it clocked at 3.125Ghz at approximatly 1.42Vcore. My temps are a little high but I have to lap my heatsink and wait for my thermal paste to set properly. After that I'm hoping to reach around 3.3-3.4Ghz while keeping the temperatures cool. My 3dMark06 CPU score went from ~1500 to 2500.