PDA

View Full Version : hot spots??

Kittie
09-30-2007, 01:37 PM
my dog has these spots on her tail, i just noticed them today? and it has no fur, well little fur, and its a rash underneath.
i was googling it, and it says that it is a 'hot spot!' i was wondering if anyone ever had a dog with these, and what stuff i can put on her?

sulfodine - YIPS do you carry this product?

grantsgetaway
09-30-2007, 01:51 PM
My dog would get them all the time, we would shave the area down. Then put some peroxide on it, then when it stops bubbling you put on some gold bond, make sure that she does lick it! The gold bond is medicated. It works wonders! It takes a couple of days but they clear up and the hair will grow back. Thats what our vet (Dr Holland) told us to do.
The dogs get them when they are bored, or stressed out. Our dog would go swimming in our pond out back and then we found out that the next door neighbors was using it for there septic tank!!!! So he would get them from that. So we had to put a stop to that. EWWWW LOL

Mrs.P.
09-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Dogs dont only get hot spots when they are bored or stressed. They can get them if they have allergies, if they have medical problems like thyroid, or other issues.
What kind of food are you feeding? Treats? Alot of hot spot issues can be eliminated with diet. Cut out the wheat and the by products, and sometimes it solves the problem.

Kittie
09-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks Tammy.
I will defintly try that. I'm thinking she's getting them because shes bored AND stressed. All of us are at school all day. Besides my ma, and my ma sleeps during the day, most of the time, because she works nights.. So, she's probably bored during the day.. LOL poor baby.

MISSESP. We originally had her on Equality, I know horrible food, but thats ONLY thing she ate. Then we did a switch over to Kibbles and Bits; Original. She ate it, but picked ALOT of stuff out of it. She wont eat things that look like sticks apparently! Lol. She didn't really like that and hardly ate.. We switched her back to Equality, for now, untill I can get some samples to find out what she likes. I'd rather have her eating bad food, than no food.. You know??

BTW: I know its terrible food, but I don't want to hear it. I know it isn't the best for her, but it's all she will eat right now.

Mrs.P.
09-30-2007, 03:30 PM
I hear ya. K, I won't rant about the food (lol). But, it would contribute to the problem. Maybe try bathing her in an oatmeal or tea tree shampoo. It sometimes helps with the itch of the hot spot. Also, maybe a multi vitamin, and/or fish oils daily. They all will help in small ways.

MaO3
09-30-2007, 04:45 PM
I have a golden that is / was very prone to hotspots. Turns out he had thyroid problems. Anyway, all of the suggestions will help, shave the area, keep it covered in gold bond (in the yellow bottle) and try to eliminate wheat from her diet.
There is a lamb and rice made by equality. Maybe try that.

kuietgrl (got lost)
09-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Not a rant, but just a suggestion...my two Chi's were stuck on Kibbles and Bits and wouldn't eat healthier food when I tried to switch them (my oldest had hot spots all the time) so I put food down twice a day for 15 min. If they ate it, great...if not, I lifted it up and they didn't eat. Didn't take long for them to catch on.

Dogs apparently have a sweet tooth and that's why they like the Kibbles and Bits...sugary. Just a suggestion, though. It will help prevent future hot spots /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Mine hasn't had any since the switch almost 4 years ago.

leafs93
10-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Dogs that have full anal glands are also prone to hot spots, just found this out myself with my dog.