PDA

View Full Version : Cat & Dog ---- Ideas Needed

cam
10-06-2007, 04:40 PM
How do you get a cat and dog used to one another? I have a 2 year old boxer at home and just brought home a 10 week old kitten. Trying to figure out how to get them used to one another without my dog thinking the kitten's his toy. I just don't want the kitten getting hurt. Any suggestions??

MagicFingers
10-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Do you really think the dog will hurt your kitten? otherwise I would just say to monitor them but just let them socialize as much as possible when you are around. Shortly the kitten will be big enough to take a few swipes at the dog and the dog will know enough to stay away. I am sure they will turn out to be great friends once the dog learns its boundaries. i don't really have any suggestions persay as my dogs and cats have always just known their boundaries

*Angel*
10-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Id say the same
just monitor closely and in no time they will get along

cam
10-06-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't think he'd hurt intentionally. I just know that he loves to play rough.....wrestling with hubby and he throws around his stuffed animals. So just not too sure if he'll think he can play roughly with him or mistake him as a toy. He's gentle with our children so I know he just needs to learn his boundaries just afraid that in the process of learning his boundaries he'll scare the kitten.

TPK
10-06-2007, 09:24 PM
If you're worried about the dog try putting it on it's leash and letting the cat out then atleast you've got control of the dog if anything should happen.

A*lil*Loopy
10-06-2007, 09:32 PM
We found that some sort of cleaning instinct kicked in when we brought any "babies" home. Our dog would clean the kitten and after a few swipes, learned to respect those little claws. I don't think it matters if it's dog, cat or human baby, they seem to understand that it's needy.

Don't worry too much, TPK has a good idea but some dogs get more excited when on leash, you know yours best. You may also want to hold the kitten and let the dog gradually check it over. Boxer will probably just want to sniff it well and give it a few licks.

cam
10-06-2007, 10:13 PM
They're doing pretty well together now that the kids have gone to bed and they can check each other out more easily. Stripes (the kitten)has hissed at Chance a few times and he seems to realize that means back off because he's giving the kitten a little more space to check things out. Going to tuck the kitten in for the night....locking him up for the first few nights until they are more comfortable with each other. Thanks for the advice.

LettuceLady
10-07-2007, 10:19 PM
I just had this problem. Mine was with 2 cats though. Jimmy is about 16lbs but doesnt know it. He is sweet as can be but he doesnt realize his size especially when playing with Macy my now 5 month old himmie. I would keep Macy in a crate when I went to bed or when I was out. Shes bigger now so its not a concern anymore.

cam
10-08-2007, 12:14 PM
At night time I have been leaving the kitten in a bathroom where we keep his litterbox, food, scratch post and a carrier with a mat. He doesn't seem to mind sleeping in there. When I opened the door this morning for him he came stretching out of his carrier (which he seems to be using as a bed) and followed me all around the house.

cam
10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I think he's pretty cute. If you'd like to see a pic he's still on Humane Society website....named Charles but says he's been adopted. We've changed his name to Stripes though.